Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 245 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #37614 02/10/09 06:24 AM
    A
    Artana Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Hello,
    I have been advocating for my son as much as I can, but I've hit some walls and I'm not sure where to take it. My DS7 hates to write and finds coloring boring. I think that we have the writing progressing with an OT who is increasing his confidence and a special ed teacher who is helping him write his own logic puzzles. But, everything in elementary school seems to be about writing and coloring (or crafts).

My DS7 loves science and loves animals and could probably do web searches all day on different animals (anything from parasites to whales). Have any of you had a child with this type of issue? If so, what types of educational changes helped to measure the child's ability better, or how did you get the child to spend more time on something s/he finds dull and mundane? I just need to know how to advocate, because I know the problem...I'm just not sure of the solution.

H
    H
    Hi, I don't know if this is an option for you but we decided to homeschool. My son was very upset at the criticism from his teacher on his writing. His reading was 3 hours/day too. So that means he was "checked out" for 3-1/2 hours a day. At home he has to sit down and write for 30 mins and read for 30 minutes a day. He usually reads for an hour now just because he has really started to enjoy it since he can read at his leisure and pick his own material. I have him write words and books/topics. He wrote a paper about a "rare" bird he saw. This has worked well for us. I am considering putting him in school PT for some of the "funner" subjects like social studies and maybe an advanced math. Hope that helps.

A
    Artana Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thank you for the advice. Homeschooling sounds great, but I don't really have that option right now.:/

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs