Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 343 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Sometimes I act like gradeskip is the answer to everything. Actually I think it's a good short term compromise for lots of kids, but really far short of what our children deserve. Some of our brightest kids are just wrong for gradeskips all together.

How do we communicate with schools who have various objections to our proposals when the proposals really are not ideal?

Lately I've been framiing it in terms of "Good Problems to have." For example, DS needs extra help getting organized and keeping track of his assignments. This is a problem and I'm grateful for all the help the school gives. I feel bad for him that at age 11 he has to deal with complexity that is aimed for age 12 and 13 year olds. When talking to the school I try to point this out before they can. It's a problem, but it's the best problem he could have right now! There isn't another option were he can have local friends, intellectually appropriate work, and a reasonable commute. We aren't ready to throw up our hands and send him packing off to boarding school! That would cause the problem of breaking up the family. He couldn't stay with his age-mates. That would cause the problem of him thinking he is better than others, thinking that smart equals low effort on homework and finishing first on tests. It also caused the problem of acclimating him being able to let his attention drift away, for long periods of time, without penelty. The problems he has now, of figuring out how to keep his attention on the current moment, how to structure his time, how to keep track of his homework and test schedual - these are good problems to have! So I'm so grateful to the school for taking a chance on my kid, for letting him have a level playing field so that he can take responsibility for thriving or failing.

So whenever the school, or others, makes objections, I think we can agree with the concerned party, thank them for their concern, and point out that although it isn't idea, "It's the best kind of Problem we could have right now."

What do you think?

Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Agreed!

When we saw DS's achievement test scores, we had that moment where, as a friend and mentor through all this gifted stuff puts it, "you jump up and down, and then cry!" It's a problem for us to have to decide what to do with him, certainly. But it's just as certainly a good problem to have!

Right on target, Trinity! smile

Kriston

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs