Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 447 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi all,

It turns out that JHU/CTY is really booked up these days. I sent in DS7's intake form over winter break, and our appointment is in the summer.

Since it's going to be such a long time until we get to meet with the CTY folks for testing/recommendations, I was wondering if any of you might have suggestions of things we could suggest to DS7's teacher that she might be able to implement to better challenge him in the regular classroom. (This is a private school with no G/T program.) I think she may be open to something, but it would have to be a concrete suggestion and something not too hard to implement. She does a really good job with the kids, but I think differentiating much for DS would be really difficult because of the demands of the other kids.

Any suggestions for something to try as after-schooling? DH and I were thinking that maybe we could come up with things for the weekends since the week is taken up with school hours and homework. I was thinking of teaching DS5 and DS7 Spanish as I have a basic working knowledge of the language, but I don't have a really good idea how to teach them. Any ideas would be appreciated for that, too.

Some background about DS7: he's an AVID reader -- outside of school, he reads at least an hour a day on weekdays for pleasure and more if he has time. On his own, he's read the 1st three HP books, some of the CON (CS Lewis) series, most of the Great Illustrated Classics, most Roald Dahl books, etc... along with the various more "age-appropriate" books (e.g., Flat Stanley, Junie B Jones, Magic Tree House). He's pretty good at math -- can do some double-digit addition/subtraction in his head faster than DH, and has figured out multiplication pretty much on his own, by asking DH and I questions from time to time. He really likes chess and history and seems to have a good head for science and abstract concepts.

This paragraph can be skipped if you want -- just an example of DS7: The other day, DH (an aeronautical engineer) had observed with DS5 when they had balloons in the car, that they went forward when he accelerated and was telling me his theory of why, which I had difficulty following. When DH left to run an errand, I told him I didn't understand his explanation. DS7 told DH not to worry because he'd explain it to me, and then did so with a much more understandable explanation than DH's, and a slightly different theory. When DH returned, DH said he thought DS7's theory was probably more accurate, and it was definitely better explained.)

Well, thanks to all. I regret that I'm more frequently requesting information than providing it. My hope is that a maybe a year from now I'll have found at least one thing that's working well for us, and that I can suggest to others. (I can hope, can't I?)

Take care, and thanks for being here!

Originally Posted by Mama22Gs
    I was wondering if any of you might have suggestions of things we could suggest to DS7's teacher that she might be able to implement to better challenge him in the regular classroom. (This is a private school with no G/T program.)

Can he go 'up a classroom (or 2) for any subjects, such as Math?' Moving to a different classroom for a subject or two, 'as an experiment' is the easiest of all.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Can he go 'up a classroom (or 2) for any subjects, such as Math?' Moving to a different classroom for a subject or two, 'as an experiment' is the easiest of all.

That's what I'm hoping to address with the school once we have assessment numbers in hand. They have not been enthusiastic about the idea when I've brought it up before. Frankly, though, without test data, I've been less than confident about pushing for accomodation. I definitely have my own issues with imposter syndrome, and I regret that it's probably influencing my views of DS.

And, thanks for the input MON. We do some of those things already (e.g., math in everyday use, above-level reading together...). I guess sometimes I forget that it doesn't have to be something out of a textbook in order for it to be learning.

I know, it feels like 'having the experts' in hand will make all the difference, but realistically, it's better to 'at least ask' for what you need now, NOW. You can explain that you made an appointment for the testing, and would like the school to 'show some good faith' by making an experiment now, since he is unhappy NOW.

You dont' have to be 'confident' just keep calmly asking for the 'next right thing to try.' No one really knows the future, but the sooner you start trying things, the sooner you will know 'what doesn't work.'

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    We use www.time4learning.com for times like these. It's a fully interactive web based curriculum that goes from K-8. It has all of the core subjects and you can differentiate as you choose. The kids work at their own pace, the directions are very well done and they ca for the most part just have at it. My DS6 is extremely intense and this program saved my sanity. They have a free trial and sample lessons that you can check out.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    To get some good history/ social studies / science in, you might want to subscribe to Cobblestone/ Cricket/ Appleseeds /Ask type magazines. We love our magazines from Carus Publishing because they are kid friendly and Advertisement-free! I especially like that the magazines let DS6 find out new things that he may be interested in - especially when they are things I know little or nothing about..so I wouldn't have thought to introduce the ideas to him.

http://www.cricketmag.com/shop_magzines.asp

For me, GT means Georgia Tech.
    M
    M
    Hi MON,
    I sent you a private message. Log on and then click on the blinking envelope near My Stuff...
    Thanks!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM