Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 150 guests, and 41 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    We are finally getting our application done. We have filled out the reg. paperwork part, which was the biggest hurdle for us (If you saw how many of the works in the previous sentence I had to spell check....... lol)

I am going to put in all the test results he has gotten.

So that leave the portfolio. We have one piece for DS7 portfolio, he made a short spot action movie. It's fun and funny... very anti aesthetic, a little sophomoric and self indulgent... but he is 7. wink He made it himself, which is the important part, and was very driven about how it should look and the music. He sat at his computer for hours getting it just how he wanted it. It was cute. smile

What else should I add? I was thinking some pages of double digital multiplication? and then maybe some creative writing?

Are we in the right ball park?

Soup, you want to highlight whatever it is that makes him unique. I can't offer a concrete suggestion, as this can be different for every kid. What does he do that makes people stare in disbelief?

Think about academics, but also things he says, questions, speculations, and things created or imagined.

good luck!

I agree with Lorel, and for that reason I always recommend video (or at least audio) of him doing whatever it is he does that makes you think he's HG+. Get him talking about his passion and record that. I really think that if you see/hear an HG+ kid in action, you know it!

Creative writing and math pages are great, but even better is video of him doing the writing and/or math so they can see his thought process, with the work attached. Not only does this reaffirm that the child is not being coached, it also makes the HG+ness a lot more obvious. Math pages are dead. Video brings a child to life.

Just my opinion...

Kriston
    Q
    Q
    But don't forget the math pages. They want to see academic ability as well.

Or just closeups of the work on the video. That would probably suffice, too.

Kriston
    Mia Offline
    What about a little video of him talking about his movie -- a little "The Making of" bit -- and *then* the movie? That way they'll get a look at his enthusiasm and see how much he put into it.

Mia
    OP Offline
    OMG! thank you all so much! these ideas are great and I never would have thought of them! AWESOME!

He just finished the first stop action movie but is already talking about the next.... I could have him make a quicktime describing what he did to make the first and what he plans to do to make the next one... we could burn them both to the same DVD.

Maybe he an I could have a discussion about politics? He is very opinionated and knowledgeable... it freaks people out.

Anything he does that freaks people out is probably a good choice. smile LOL!

Kriston
    Yes! That sounds good! I'd like to see that video. wink

Good luck with the application.

V
    V
    I am also applying with a portfolio (and math achievement tests of 99.9%) for our DS7 and have similar questions. Your movie sounds great! I have a bunch of dinosaur drawings from when our son was 3-5. I had annotated them because he wasn't writing yet. The Diplodocus from when he was three says, "He hasn't found a tree or a rock yet." Do I need to explain that scientists think the large herbivores ate rocks to help digest their food? He was the kid who would get upset at the dinosaur picture books because the T-rex was with the Stegosaurus. He used to point out that it should really be an Allosaurus since the T-rex and Stegosaurus didn't live in the same time periods. Of course, it sounded much better coming from a three year-old.

We also have video of him playing with his Lego mini-figures that he makes into Greek gods, Odysseus, and Lewis and Clark. The videos are very raw. I wasn't sure if I should ask him questions about what he's doing in the video, which is what I would do without the video?

Last edited by VolcanoMom; 04/30/09 10:41 PM. Reason: added question

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM