Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, Jool! smile

Kriston
    hey kriston..... I am dyslexic, actually, graphlexic... I can't write, hand to paper it looks like alphabet soup. Thank god for computers! lol

Because I am an artist I have met a lot other dyslexics (apparently we dominate the field...lol) Unfortunately, each persons dyslexia manifests differently. So It hard to get straight answers.

I saw that someone mentioned something about the brain, larger right side. I know in my case the language centers in both lobes of my brain are the same size. Also I am ambidextrous. When I was a kid I would mirror write. Also I spoke backward and had trouble understanding what was being said to me very often.

I have heard this from a bunch of my dyslexic friends, we all had inconsistency with IQ tests. One would say genius, the next would say Developmentally Disabled. Most of these people grew to be pretty normal as adults, and did great in college. (As normal as artist get....lol)

One other thing, me and every one of my friends had server headaches that started when we became teenagers. If he does have it it's something to be mindful of.

I hope this helps in some way.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Interesting. Thanks for the perspective.

Is there anything you'd recommend for trying to ID what's up with my son?

Kriston
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Interesting. Thanks for the perspective.

Is there anything you'd recommend for trying to ID what's up with my son?
    Hi Kriston,
    If you recall, all four of my kids are twice exceptional. Two of them with dyslexia. Two things I would do to ID someone this early are:

1) Go to an audiologist who is trained in identifying and interpreting a thorough testing (not screening)for auditory processing disorder. (-not a standard hearing test, as you may know). My experience has taught me that all audiologist claim they are trained for this, but they are not. So, it takes some digging. You may want to contact a pediatric ENT for a referral.

2) If there is a good neuropsychologist, I'd have a testing done. It needs to be as comprehensive as possible for someone this age. They are kind of pricy. Use this same person to help devise a plan to "fill in the holes" using the strengths found. The neuropsychs in my experience understand how to interpret results from everyone (audiologist, opthamologist, neurologist, etc) and can help plan out a strategy.

Hope this helps.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm getting advice to see a neuropsychologist from 3 sides now, including a friend who is "in the business" (you know who you are! wink ) and our psychologist/tester, who initially suspects CAPD based just on our quick phone conversation.

Since I happen to have a friend in town who is a pediatric neuropsych, I'm going to call him tonight to just check with him informally about what to do, who to see, etc. I did have a brief conversation with him about it earlier this year, and he didn't seem very encouraging that this was the route for us to take. But I have been looking for more specific evidence about just what's going on with DS4, and I think I have more to tell him.

Apparently there is a nearly year-long wait to meet with the neuropsychs in our area, so it's probably good that I'm starting now. eek

Thanks, all!

Kriston
    J
    J
    Is he left-handed? I'm asking because of the description of writing right to left.

My left-handed younger brother went through a phase where he wrote everything backwards. Learning reading can also be more difficult in English because of the direction.

There was a Lefty's association, that provided pamphlets on adjustments sometimes needed to pick up reading and writing. I don't remember its exact name.

Good luck.

I
    I
    Jess1,
    Thanks for mentioning this. DD6 is a lefty and wrote many things backwards for a time. I'll look for the association.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    No, DS4 doesn't seem to be a lefty. He decided on a hand at a pretty normal time, too, so I don't think he's having any confusion.

(I am watching to be sure though...)

Kriston
    Hi Kriston, no great advice here, just sympathy for the confusing 'trying to figure it out' time you are having. We are sort of in the same boat with ds8, all school grades, etc. look ok, most testing results are very confusing, my gut says he is gt + something else, and as I posted in another thread the developmental pediatrician was *almost* no help. crazy
    I am going to post to another thread my current woes, and some test results, but want to at least say, 'hang in there!'. smile
    I am glad you are checking this out for your ds, it is too bad it will likely be at least a little difficult because he is so young and not supposed to be concerned with such things as reading and writing - but he *is* reading and writing, so maybe you can start with that as a point in which to draw a line in the sand...and from there, look at how long it 'normally' takes to get to less frequent letter reversals, etc., for most kids.

(I am getting used to the 'crazy lady' feeling, so maybe you will too)
    smile smile

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    LOL! We're homeschooling, so, yeah, I'm pretty used to the "crazy lady" stuff. grin But he was supposed to be my "normal" kid...

Ah, the best laid plans of mice and men...

Kriston
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs