Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #36861 01/31/09 07:05 PM
    Jen74 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My DD4 has recently become obsessed with the human body, specifically the skeletal system. Over the past week she has stayed up late looking at body books, asking detailed questions, constructing bone puzzles, etc. Tonight, she will not rest until we boil all the meat off our chicken bones, examine the results, and attempt to reconstruct as much of the skeleton as possible. Who knew that take-out from KFC would lead to such inquiry?

Love our kids... smile

When DS was about 5 1/2 he went through a huge phase where he was completely engrossed with human anatomy. We were lucky enough to have this coincide with the last weeks of Body World in Baltimore MD. It was an exhibit where they show real human bodies that have been plastisized (sp?). DS LOVED it. He dragged me from exhibit to exhibit pointing out each and every body part and every gender of each cadaver crazy . (A couple of strangers came up to me asking "how old is he?")

At any rate, besides the countless anatomy books we have, we also discovered:

http://www.visiblebody.com/

A great site for viewing the body. NOTE: all anatomy is shown. We're okay with this, but use at your own risk. It's a browser-based application that is free. It is installs a plug in for your browser and if you have a good computer and internet connection, your DD may really dig it.

We also found

http://www.innerbody.com/htm/body.html

As well as several other sites.

Have fun! We liked this phase a lot except we did have to explain what was acceptable privately and publicly.... but that was a good teaching point too.

JB

B
    B
    The new David McCauley book "The Way We Work" is a good one, too - my dh is an MD, and he said it is extremely thorough and well thought out.

We got it for Christmas!

fun fun fun these kids of ours

Jen74 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks for the resources! JB - we don't have any problem with the anatomy issues, as DD started asking questions about where babies come from at a young 3, and those questions led to more questions ("But mom, how does the baby actually get IN the uterus?"), which eventually led us to explain the whole story. As a science teacher, I easily (and without embarrassment) answered all of her questions, until she threw me for a loop after a basic explanation of how the baby got IN there - "Mom, did you LIKE it when Daddy did that??" Admittedly, I was caught a little off-guard on that one... :-)

Barbara - we'll check out the book on Amazon!

I laughed myself into a coughing fit on that one, Jen. Thanks for the funny!

Kriston

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM