Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 183 guests, and 109 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    R
    reagtay Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    I'm not positive whether my daughter is gifted or just bright, but that's not really my issue today.

At the beginning of 2nd grade, her reading level tested at 3.4 and she has moved up to 4.0 since then and is top of her class in other subjects as well. Her teacher sent home a cursive curriculum and a 3rd grade spelling curriculum for us to work on at home plus she gives my daughter her own spelling words.

I just got my daughters current progress report. Her teacher says that ever since she came back from Christmas break, my dd has been extremely distracted and her performance is dropping. She dropped two points in reading and had a hard time on a 2.6 level comprehension test! She isn't focusing in class. She will get up and when the teacher asks her what she is doing she won't remember. She will walk up to the teacher's desk to ask a question and then won't remember what it was. At home she has been extremely emotional and overly sensitive to pain like getting her hair combed or bumping into something. She recently started a prescription for acid reflux.

I did notice some signs of early puberty (body odor and breast buds) around Christmas time. The doctor confirmed it but didn't think we should pursue anything since she's only about 7 months earlier than the normal 8-14 age group.

The teachers thinks we need to have her establish some goals and follow through with them. I agree, but what else should I do? I wish I knew what was going on with her!

Thanks!

Can any of this be related to the medication? Can you take her off it temporarily and see if the symptoms improve?

R
    reagtay Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    I could try that although I looked at the side effects of meds and they weren't anything that she is experiencing.

I don't know. An MD friend of mine had a similar issue w/ her DD, ie early puberty, and she had her put on meds to halt it. She said she didn't want her DD to be too short. I can't imagine puberty at 8yrs old!

Our pediatrician recently told me that 8 was considered normal. That seems really young to me.

Puberty is coming earlier and earlier and has been suspected to be linked to additives/hormones in milk and meats. I know the arguments against this, but I still keep my daughter on organic for just this reason.

R
    reagtay Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Thank you! I called the doctor's office today. They are supposed to get back to me on Monday. When her teacher said she is not the child she knows, it really worried me.

As far as the age of puberty the "normal" range for the beginning signs is 8 - 13 (or 14). My daughter is almost 7 1/2, so not too far out of the range. It seems really young to me too.

((Hugs)) Reagtay

I'm glad the pedi is involved. Also check if anyone is bullying her, ok?

It's normal for kids to get somewhat flaky around puberty, but this sounds more extreame than I'm used to hearing about.

Hugs
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM