Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #3658 09/30/07 06:51 PM
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I've been thinking about how difficult it is to convince schools to provide the most appropriate educations to bright kids, and how frustrating the process can be. The bottom line is that there is no law, no regulation, no nothing that compels the schools to treat bright kids the way they treated disabled kids: that is, with an individual plan for education.

So then I thought, "How can I find a way to apply the ADA law to bright kids?" As I understand the law, any child diagnosed as having some kind of "psycho-physical disability" has a right to an IEP.

This would involve using on what I described as "Gifted Kid syndrome" in a thread called "enrichment or rigor?" (It was suggested that I use the term "Enforced Underachievement".)

The key is transforming this problem from something that frustrates us and that the researchers write about into a diagnosable disability would give children a legal right to an IEP.

It can apply to a child of any age who is not allowed to work to her potential, who hates school because it numbs his mind, who does not acquire the study skills she needs to solve hard problems, whose grades fall because of lack of study skills or interest, etc. etc. etc.

Not a small undertaking, I know. But worth a try? Thoughts? A first step would probably be to apply for an NSF grant and get some experts in gifted kids on board.

Val

Val #3660 10/01/07 06:25 AM
    Hasn't some version of this been tried? I have no evidence--just a vague recollection from my own childhood long, long ago. But I seem to recall that many of the small strides that were made for gifted kids came under the umbrella of the laws protecting the disabled.

Is my faulty memory just making that up?

If not, then maybe you wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel. Maybe you can start where others left off...

Kriston
    Val #3662 10/01/07 07:43 AM
    I've often wondered if "Asynchronous Development"
    http://www.stephanietolan.com/gt_as_asynch.htm
    could be classified as a psycho-physical disability.

Your formulation of Enforced Underachievment is very clear and I would love to see in included in the "special educational unbrella."

Still on the other hand, there is part of me that bridles at the idea of my kid being labled with a disability because he doesn't fit the mold! I'm not sure his friend's parents would buy into that either. I'm not saying that "gifted kids can take care of themselves" but isn't there some place between there and a disability?

I ususlly repeat over and over to anyone who will listen,
    'many gifted children, particularly unusually gifted children, have special educational needs.'

((shrug))
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM