Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 387 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #36400 01/28/09 04:58 AM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi Action,
    I moved your post over here, because i dont' want you to be lost in the other topic. Hope you don't mind:
    Originally Posted by Action
    I am new..New to the whole gifted child thing. My son is in the gifted program in our public school system. He is in 2nd grade.
    He is having some emotional issues with some other children. One in paticular has often told him that none of the other kids like him or want to play with him. My child has not forgotten this and it sometimes comes out when he is "acting out."
    What really bites is that the kid who taunted my child is in the gifted program with my son.
    I am learning now..how to cope and deal with these situations. Meanwhile, his regular teacher makes him feel like his behavior is not appropriate and that he needs mental help. She even told me that he may need medication. I have spoken with his gifted teacher and other teachers in the school and they have suggested that he is bored in regular class and is not being challenged. I know he never studies and finishes his homework within minutes. The reading material that he is bringing home is one sentence on one page. I am really at my wits end with this situation. Can anyone offer me some advice on what to do and how to deal...? Please. I must clarify.. His acting out behaviors are not at all disruptive and have only been minor.
    I feel as if his teacher is doing him more harm than good because she does not know how to deal with a gifted child..or my gifted child.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    First of all, I am furious that the regular teacher told him he may need medication. In my state, it's Illegal for the teachers to say that to the Parents! And yet, in 2nd grade, the teacher played those mind games with my son, and as gifted as he was, he swallowed them. These people have your child 30 hours a week!

I would set up a meeting with her, demanding that she stop doing the various specific things that make him feel like a mental case. I would mention at the end of the face to face meeting that 'of course I am going to have to bring this to the principle's attention'

Then I would send a 'review of major points' email cc'd to the principle and the gifted coordinator (and an attorny, if you can find one you can afford) reviewing the meeting. What you said, and what you heard the teacher respond.

Then I would ask the for a meeting with the principle. I would go over the whole thing again.

I would also get copies of whatever testing that was done and type them into a private message for Dottie to look at. You want to have some idea of your child's LOG. Do you or the Gifted Coordinator have a copy of the 'Iowa Acceleration Scale' Manual?

The best way to get rid of a terrible teacher is to grade skip away (if it's an appropriate accomidation)

BTW -Over the years my son has also aways attracted 'extra (negative) attention' from various other '2nd most gifted boy' types. This doesn't seem unusual if infact your son is 'way out standing in his field' - hopefully a grade skip would put him more 'amoung the top crowd' and less the lonely outlier/target.

Con't be afraid to cry in the principle's office. 'At your wit's end' is a great place to start making waves from.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Hi Action,
    So sorry to hear your little boy is having such a negative school experience frown. Sounds like there are a lot of very strong (and confident eek) opinions about your son by his teacher - who is probably not qualified to make them. I agree with Grinity that you should document the conversations you have with the teacher. I would also add snail mail to the e-mail recommendation IMHO. Letters are an advocate's friend smile.

My recommendations for priority things to do: First and foremost,you do need to find out what your DS's issues are (Emotional? LD? Attention? Boredom? Poor environmental fit? Medical issues? Combination?) and that means finding an *independent* psychologist to do a thorough eval. I believe there is inherent conflict of interest when a district employee does the eval. It can be pricey, but I would get the most qualified, most highly recommended one you can afford. Second, go to the department of ed website for your state and read the laws for special education and gifted education. It may be helpful for you to find a special ed advocate in your area (some work pro-bono, but most should at least provide a free consultation to see if you need their services).

You're in good company here on this board. I have a second grader I'm advocating for as well... It's exhausting but the support from this board has really helped me get through this.

I really have to wonder what the parents are up to when a child feels like they can (and do) tell another child that no one likes them. Really, really wonder.
    I could not imagine my kids saying this to anyone and I haven't taken any special care to say 'don't say 'no one likes you''. I mean, I do say stuff like 'don't be rude' or 'Be nice'.

Seriously, *WHERE* does behavior like this come from??? Especially in the 2nd grade?

So sorry your family is having to deal with this. We have had a few rude comments from kids in ds' class about how he shouldn't be in the pull out program, or he's not so smart, etc.

In a separate scenario, an older boy on the bus called my son 'gay'. He was in 1st grade, and ds didn't really know what it meant.
    I felt entirely within my rights as a parent to seek out that kid's parents via the grapevine and tell them about the offensive comment. The mom was horrified and made her son write an apology letter; it included a bit about wishing that instead they could be friends.
    This went a long way in helping my son feel better about that particular problem. And since then, the other boy has not been nearly as annoying/offensive. I hope it was in part because he realized he wasn't going to get away with behaving that way at least towards my ds.

Last edited by chris1234; 01/28/09 08:20 AM.
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by chris1234
    Seriously, *WHERE* does behavior like this come from??? Especially in the 2nd grade?

Here is a complete guess: Maybe the other boy is feeling like an outsider. (either the GT program is too challenging for him or not enough. the former, perhaps?)

If he has feelings of inadequacy he could be redirecting his anger (at himself, parents, teachers) toward lashing out at your son because your son can't retaliate.

I am not a psychologist. I am just guessing.

But I mention these possiblities because it sounds like the other kid needs some support and/or intervention. Granted, your son is your top priority. I am not suggesting you advocate for the other kids. On the other hand might be helpful to address the whole situation. (i.e. both kids, the whole class) as in kcab's case when they got a new principal the behavior improved in the whole school.

Originally Posted by chris1234
    So sorry your family is having to deal with this.
    ditto.

So infuriating and frustrating that the teacher is doing as much damage as the child bullying.

EW

Action-
    I don't have any good advice. I just hope that the situation improves for you and your DS.

For me, GT means Georgia Tech.
    S
    san54
    Unregistered
    san54
    Unregistered
    S
    Hi Action,
    What you describe was exactly the experience of our son when he was that age. His school had lousy supervision of students and taunters went unobserved. In retrospect, I wish we'd made louder protests about this. All school professionals should be alerted to any bullying, taunting, and stop it. Those doing it should be accountable. Our son's personality/carriage was unusual, geeky, chatty, and stood out. He was not socially smooth. This went on for years in public school. He spiraled down into a full-blown anxiety disorder, OCD, by the time he was in 4th grade. He had angry outbursts at home because he hated school, understandably. ADHD was also diagnosed. We had years of emotional disturbance until his admission into a sci tech h.s. Then, when he began Ritalin, his grades shot up, he had better focus, and his social skills improved from Ritalin. The impulsive chatter that drew peer criticism toned down. Does he have any allies? If not, perhaps a counselor could help him connect/create some. Our son was denied gifted services and never made close friends in his classes, though he had one friend elsewhere.
    Looking back, I wish we'd home schooled. Do any town's around you have full-day G&T classes? Would you consider moving to a better dist? If he is miserable, would a Sat. community class give him some relief? Does he have friends through any other community activities to bring some comfort? I know these don't alleviate hugely or rectify the school environment. I empathize deeply; there is not an easy answer to making other kids like ours. He's now in a Ph.d program and doing well.

Last edited by san54; 01/31/09 06:55 AM.
    S
    san54
    Unregistered
    san54
    Unregistered
    S
    Action,
    I should've also mentioned (my husband reminded me of this) that it helps if our kids can learn self-advocacy skills. Our son's counselors tried to teach him how to handle these taunters and become impervious to them. This didn't work for ours, but it's worth a try. Ours was the stereotypical high IQ case of not reading social cues. Maturity has brought him good social skills but it was a tough, long road.

Action, I think you have a bigger issue.

That does not sound like much of a program to me. If he can do his work without studying and he is not reading 30 pages a night or more, then he is not being challenged at all. It sounds like the "gifted program" is a clique. The bizarre comments by the teacher and the other kids are just a symptom but also point out that your son is different in a GOOD way. This school and the "program" are normalizing intolerance and mediocrity.

Have you looked at other programs for gifted kids - radical acceleration and peer grouping - both with broader and higher academic standards - that are more commonly accepted for gifted kids? The compared them to what your DS gets? Do you have an advocate such as a Psychologist who has evaluated your son?

Last edited by Austin; 01/31/09 06:58 PM.
    S
    san54
    Unregistered
    san54
    Unregistered
    S
    I agree with Austin. Could this g&t program cater to the moderately gifted only, leaving your son needing more? Second grade seems to be when peer ostracization starts. I'm afraid that this could become worse for him if teachers and staff are not on the lookout for the taunting. The acting out could be his expression of frustration and anger from an environment that's wrong for him. In the meantime, if he can acquire skills to bounce the taunts off that might help. A counselor might be in order and they can be advocates with you at meetings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM