Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #36364 01/27/09 05:31 PM
    OP Offline
    A set of ideas from a writing teacher on what she is convinced really works: http://www.eduguide.org/Parents-Articles/Getting-Boys-into-Writing-1612.aspx

Originally Posted by Jeanne O'Malley
    Here is what I have learned. Many many times a boy has trouble writing because most boys do not write for the fun of it any more than they talk for the fun of it. They talk or write when they have something to say and, having said it, they stop. They would no more rabbit on for the fun of it than the average girl would run laps around the track for the fun of it.

I really like some of these ideas, and I can see why it might be overwhelming for a kid to write "anything you want"...when of course, he wants to write exactly nothing.

For me, GT means Georgia Tech.
    I'm off to read the article, but I will say I'm not loving her sweeping generalizations about the sexes there...

Kriston
    I
    I
    I thought the tips were even useful for DD6 who loves to write. Thanks smile

A lot of the suggestions make sense but I agree she paints a pretty broad brush with her comments about running and writing.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    OP Offline
    Yeah, I admit it is broad, but I found some of the comments particularly helpful. Especially in how you ask him to write. My DS really dislikes writing - it might be his least favorite thing to do after making his bed - but he will write about a science experiment..or a video game he wants to make up..pokemon (for goodness sake), etc.

Now, I think I get why his journal is always blank (well, usually it is covered with drawings) when there is no prompt, and they are supposed to "write whatever they are thinking about."

For me, GT means Georgia Tech.
    Here is what I have learned. Many many times a boy has trouble writing because most boys do not write for the fun of it any more than they talk for the fun of it. They talk or write when they have something to say and, having said it, they stop. They would no more rabbit on for the fun of it than the average girl would run laps around the track for the fun of it.

Sorry to Pick on you Kriston, but.......
    I have to say that although I consider myself a Feminist, this does match my experience of 'most' boys and 'average' girls in school settings in the United States, at this moment in history (or herstory)

I don't run laps for the fun of it, and couldn't bear to as a girl, average or not, but I do totally enjoy my 'treadmill moments' as a grown woman. Of course the fact that I'm watching Xena Warrior Princess or BattleStar Gallactica might be sweetening the deal.

Even if this effect is totally caused by the environments we live in, this is the environment we do currently live in.

And she does point out that
    Many boys will write very well if they can see a purpose to it, just as many girls will run if they can see a purpose to it. So the trick with many boys and their writing is to get them to see the fun of it and then put it (and them) to work with a goal that makes sense.

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    To produce lean and marketable prose, ask for a 1,000 word piece. Comment on it and then ask them to make it better and hand it in again. Then take the finished product and ask them to cut it by 200 words. (This works particularly well on the boy genius who is convinced that phd. means "piled higher and deeper.")

I wish DS12's teacher last year would have followed this guideline. She required a 7 page paper on a famous person, and then had the whole class cut it down to 3 pages. very emotionally tough on DS

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    RJH Offline
    My DS really dislikes writing - it might be his least favorite thing to do after making his bed - but he will write about a science experiment..or a video game he wants to make up..pokemon (for goodness sake), etc.

I haven't read the article yet, but my DS is JUST like this. He will write pages and pages about pandas, go-karts, and video games. Just the other day he wrote his own version of Diary Of A Wimpy Kid. But to get him to write for school....Ugh!

Originally Posted by Grinity

Sorry to Pick on you Kriston, but.......
    I have to say that although I consider myself a Feminist, this does match my experience of 'most' boys and 'average' girls in school settings in the United States, at this moment in history (or herstory)

I don't run laps for the fun of it, and couldn't bear to as a girl, average or not, but I do totally enjoy my 'treadmill moments' as a grown woman. Of course the fact that I'm watching Xena Warrior Princess or BattleStar Gallactica might be sweetening the deal.

Even if this effect is totally caused by the environments we live in, this is the environment we do currently live in.

And she does point out that
    Many boys will write very well if they can see a purpose to it, just as many girls will run if they can see a purpose to it. So the trick with many boys and their writing is to get them to see the fun of it and then put it (and them) to work with a goal that makes sense.

Grinity

Huh. Most of the runners I know are female, and I seem to be constantly surrounded by loud, chatty, ridiculously talkative boys!

Maybe the sticking point here is really the "for the fun of it" phrase in both cases, male and female. If you run for fitness, for a race, or for your sanity, is that running for the fun of it? If you talk to ask questions, to express your extroverted nature, to share your ideas that are bursting out of you, is that talking for the fun of it?

I guess I'd say "yes," in both cases. You could choose to do something else, but you choose to run or to talk. Is it utterly purposeless? No. But I don't think "for the fun of it" means utterly purposeless.

Meh. We can agree to disagree. But I would LOVE to have some of these silent boys who don't talk! They are not in my house, not in my neighborhood, not in DS4's pre-K, not in my recent experience! Would that they were! Even my introvert talks my ear off. And don't get me started on my extrovert or the extroverts they're friends with...Aye-yi-yi! Stop talking to me already and go play! crazy

Kriston
    Originally Posted by momofgtboys
    A set of ideas from a writing teacher on what she is convinced really works: http://www.eduguide.org/Parents-Articles/Getting-Boys-into-Writing-1612.aspx

I really like some of these ideas, and I can see why it might be overwhelming for a kid to write "anything you want"...when of course, he wants to write exactly nothing.

I'd have to disagree. My nephews and brothers are all different, but we sure like to chew the fat. This is pure bunk.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent