Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 183 guests, and 109 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    BellaGP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Hi,
    My son is 2nd gade (he just turned 8) and we are fighting with the district to get him into the magnet program next year. Last year he was identified as needing clustering in math but his 2nd grade teacher has decided that he does not need it (the district is using Chicago New Math this year). After being told that he "not that smart" we decided to have tested by a psychologist. Results for WISC IV were:
    Verbal Comprehension: Comp score 148.8/ % rank 99.9, Perceptual Reasoning: Comp. Score 133/ % rank 99, Working Memory: Comp Score 120/ % rank 91%, Processing Speed: Comp. Score 97, % rank 42 and Full scale com score was 135. % rank 99. Are these high enough score for most magnet programs (in our district it is a sep.classroom). We just want what is best for him and to have him challenged.

Thanks,
    Bella

B
    BellaGP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    HI, We are in Michigan. The only achievement test he has had was the NWEA and he scored 98% in math and reading. Our district (considered to be one of the top in the state), takes only about 24 kids in a each grade out of maybe 500 kids or so. We just do not want a repeat of this year in the future (his teacher just wants him to be a more normal kid and not cause any extra work for her), where we feel he has not been challenged at all.

Hi BellaGP,
    It might be a good idea to give him above grade-level testing. Even if your district doesn't take it into consideration, at least you'll know what he's capable of and what to ask for. I'm in a similar situation with my second grader except we don't have a magnet program. My "gut" (and he) told me that math was too easy for him in school. I gave him the Texas State Assessment test (free and online) and so far we've given the 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade tests (95%, 90%, and 86% correct, respectively). The scores are way above the state standards (granted, we're not in Texas, but how different can they be...?) so that tells me he's really going to need math acceleration to be appropriately challenged. They can only do so much "enrichment" within a grade level. For math talented kids, I've heard over and over that you need both acceleration *and* enrichment.

There have been other cheap and easy online grade level tests mentioned on this board as well..

Another thing to consider is a talent search for your DS - which also consists of above grade level testing. 2nd graders can take the SCAT for the CTY talent search: http://www.cty.jhu.edu

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs