Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 351 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    To answer the original question, NO. the average two year old does not follow directions so well, carry on conversations and respond to a doctor's office visit that way.

As for the question of preschool, I would suggest going to see two or three different places. Ask to observe for about an hour. Don't take your daughter. Watch the other kids and see if there are any you feel are acting and talking like she does. Get a feel for whether your daughter would be happy with the activities they do there, the schedule they follow, etc. Don't worry about whether they teach gifted kids there. She's young. She's got lots of time and lots to learn. She'll absorb and learn from her environment whether it is formally taught or not. The important thing at this age, IMHO, is that the kid is happy because she fits in and the adults understand and like her.

Good luck in your search as well as coping with the GT denial!

I laughed when I saw this thread title!

We have dd2y8m at my sister's while I work, I had considered a couple of preschools but she is really well matched with her cousin (2.25) who is learning her numbers super fast and has a massive vocab.; my sister is teaching them their abc's, some light reading, taking them to library time, etc. wink
    (It's the gt "preschool" .5 miles from my house, lol! seriously, we are very very lucky!!!!)

In regards to "can't most two year olds do this? "...
    We just had dd in her first pre-dance class the other night!!
    I am just so thrilled with being able to get her in; ds8 takes ballet at the same school, and dd has been Obsessed (yes with a capital O) with nutcracker, ballet, etc., for the last year or year and a half. The director of the academy suggested dd could start so we decided to give it a whirl.

I think her passion for ballet is not 'typical' for a 2 year old, but it's certainly not something you see on a milestone chart, e.g.: "Able to name the various parts of certain ballets " dd: "- ooh, this is where the toymakers come out", or "this is where the military doll comes out, I think." (while listening on the radio).
    Dh was asking about a part of the Nutcracker, and we ended up asking dd what part it was, lol! Or, another good one for the charts: "can balance on tip-toe while pirouetting or perform most of the toymaker choreography or dances parts of carmen, or just free dances very expressively". At what age is that supposed to be 'normal'?
    Ah well.

Anyway, she did well in class, there were only two other girls in the class ages 3 and 4, and she did better than both in finding her 'spot' when called back to attention, *not* sucking on her skirt, staring at the ceiling, etc. Her level of focus was pretty amazing, her ability to follow direction just as good if not better than the others, so we will continue with classes.

At her last dr's visit she was asked if she could pee in a cup, and at first she said no, but when she saw it was an official plastic wrapped cup with a green lid (!!), she was all about peeing in that thing. She watched the dr carefully when did the ph strip dip and they discussed which colors would be good to get. At first she was rooting for 'red', but then found out from him that red was not very good to have in this particular case! The dr think's she's a blast.

I loved reading about your DD and ballet. Our DD (turned 29 mth today Yea!) loves ballet too. She has been taking a ballet/tap class since she turned two and is very much in love with it and has to act out certain steps for me as well as instruct me on what to do. We took our DD to the nutcracker over the holidays and she LOVED it. I had called the ballet to find out how old the child should be and they suggested no younger than 3 but that should also be able to sit through the show. And when I told the mothers of the other girls in class that I would be taking her they were shocked b/c they could never believe that a 2 year old would sit still through the show. We had a lot of older girls in our section and many were speaking loudly and not really focusing on the show. But our DD was entranced and when a section of the performance was finished she would let out her breath she had clearly been holding and start clapping with so much energy. Now if she hears the music she instantly knows it is the nutcracker...clearly NOT to the level your DD does. Very impressive indeed. Our ballet is suppose to be performing Cinderella during Mother's Day. I am really thinking about taking her to see it.

Wow! It is great to hear about another 2 going nuts over nutcracker!
    We received a video when ds performed last year, so that has certainly helped cement her knowledge of the various parts. Also, just for fun this year we found the Barishnikov made-for-tv Nutcracker on dvd at the library, it was gorgeous and instead of being horrified at the differences between what she already knew and this new version, dd was really intrigued and set to learning the new choreography.
    (Granted she is far from really getting through most steps perfectly but there are parts where she holds her arms 'just right' or puts the perfect emphasis on the right foot movement at the right time, so I think something is going on...)

Cinderella is coming up for us too, more than likely we will go see it. Maybe we are right around the corner from each other!

DH found some short videos on youtube, there is one in particular which was really stunning, if I get the name of the ballerina I will post back...but a lot of them are worth checking out if you just search ballet, cinderella

It is really funny to DH and me that 10 years ago, if we'd thought about ever being this interested in ballet or even feeling like we were beginning to 'get' it, we would have both been just rofl! It is not something we in any way set out to have our kids get so deep into. Turns out, it is really fun, and so much more 'approachable' than I ever imagined.

Of course, becoming a dancer is such a long shot for either of them, my only realistic hope is that ballet will be a source of deep enjoyment for them both throughout their lives and not some far off distant, snobby pursuit.
    Have fun at Cinderella if you go!

Last edited by chris1234; 01/17/09 04:09 AM.
    Oh I wish you lived right around the corner than we could get our two DD together for play dates, but unless you live in the Austin, Texas area I doubt that would work out. Here's to wishing. But it is funny that your ballet is doing the same show. Maybe for the most part there is a formula they follow of what performances attract the most attendance and that you get more people in the seats if you do something the whole family will enjoy.

I do have to say that we had a little recital right before Christmas for the class to perform for the parents. I guess they know that at age 2 there is no guarantee they will follow through. Though my DD was not the one that completely withdrew and finally went crying to her parents (her mom says she has major anxieties and that is why they put her in the class. She is actually the oldest in the group in the best by far) My DD was the deer caught in headlights. She just stood there staring at all the parents making idiots out of ourselves trying to get them to do the routine. My DH said she was being entertained by us. She is our shy kid that for ever would talk your ear off at home but out in public clam up. She has gotten better but definitely not a ham.

This thread reminded me of when DD4 was not quite 2.5 - she had fallen out of her "big girl" bed and broken her collarbone, so we had to take her to the ER. Two weeks later at a follow-up visit to our family clinic, our doctor asked her, "Did you hurt your arm?" My kid responded with, "No, I broke my clavicle. Can I still go on the waterslide?" He was pretty speechless. :-)

Along those lines, does anyone else find themselves in an awkward position when your kid says anything out of the ordinary? Once, at a friend's birthday party, my DD-then-not-quite 2 said, "I'm full. Can I be excused?" in completely non-little-kid articulation. One of the other moms looked at me and said, "Must be nice to be a teacher and have all that time in the summer to work with your kid." As if I drilled language development with my toddler! I never know how to respond to that stuff....

Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    I think we should come up with some catchy phrase and make t-shirts up for all the parents of the GT kid. It should say something like Aptitude has no Age Criteria OR They can't learn it if their brain was not developed enough to absorb it.

So funny. Old Navy had shirts a few years ago that said, "My kid's a genius." I wore it, but then it was weird when DS would do something extraordinary and folks would notice the shirt and think I was some sort of snob - rather than someone with a sense of humor!

For me, GT means Georgia Tech.
    Originally Posted by Jen74
    Along those lines, does anyone else find themselves in an awkward position when your kid says anything out of the ordinary? Once, at a friend's birthday party, my DD-then-not-quite 2 said, "I'm full. Can I be excused?" in completely non-little-kid articulation. One of the other moms looked at me and said, "Must be nice to be a teacher and have all that time in the summer to work with your kid." As if I drilled language development with my toddler! I never know how to respond to that stuff....

Hi Jen

I think that the only way to handle this is to name it and adress the underlying thought =

"I find that comment offensive. Is this always how you are going to react when my child does something better than yours? I want friends who can celebrate each other's children." or

there is the jokey approach: "Where is that Mom score card when I need it? Do I get to move ahead three squares?"

Then you can see how it goes from there, but be ready for either - with an all purpose: 'I feel insecure about my parenting sometimes, I really love my kid and so want to do the best I can.'

Since it's much easier to think these things up during unemotional times, practice and journal some sample conversations that might bug you and have a few responses ready.
    Sounds like you'll need them!

How about: "The doctors told me that there might be some strange side effects to those drugs."
    or "I think her real parents will be returning for her soon."
    or "Yes, we give her candy every time she acts polite."

Actually, I don't really reccomend saying anything that you wouldn't want your DD to overhear, but having snappy comments in my mind is a comfort.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Isa Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    My story is always the one where my midwife said to DS7, who was then 3yo, that "Mommy has a baby in her belly" in her most condescending voice.

DS looked skeptical and concerned, looked at me as if to say "You're trusting her?" then turned back to the midwife to say, "No, she has a baby in her uterus!"

The poor woman just about fell down.

I just LOVE that story! grin

LOL Kriston, I really like this story smile

Isa Offline
    Living in a foreign country has the advantage that nobody understood the long and complex sentences of DD.I only got positive comments on how clear her diction was. At the same time, when I said that she was very advanced in her speech nobody really believed me ...

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM