Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 438 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    #36163 01/25/09 07:57 PM
    OP Offline
    Did/does your toddler like puzzles? Dd wants to like them...but she has not figured out how to work on them. I am struggling with teaching her how to "do" a puzzle. I have tried explaining the flat sides go around the edges, and I have told her to look at the box to get ideas of what the picture should look like when it is complete...but she doesn't quite get it. She loves trying, but I am hoping for some success before she gets frustrated...any tips?

oneisenough #36164 01/25/09 08:26 PM
    Mia Offline
    LOL -- this is one HG+ thing that ds6 did/does *not* do. He's not a puzzler!

I've read, though, that many GT kids who are puzzlers have their own methods -- they don't start at the edges like many adults do. I'd just let her go at it, or work with her, but not try to enforce your way of puzzle-completion; they do best figuring out their own ways.

Or maybe she's just not a puzzler! Nothing wrong with that. smile

Mia
    Mia #36165 01/25/09 08:34 PM
    M
    M
    Ditto Mia- My daughter has NEVER liked puzzles. I thought maybe getting her some American Girl puzzles for Christmas would "spark" some interest and nope, nothing!! Oh, well, I guess puzzles aren't for everyone!

oneisenough- When my dd was little I would try to get her to do puzzles the same way you are doing, to no avail! Sorry, I wish I could help more. I think Mia is right though, some people have their own method of putting them together.

Laura

mom2three #36168 01/25/09 08:46 PM
    Both of my boys loved puzzles and were really good at them in young age but they didn't really care about the edges either. It took a while before they started building puzzles from edges up.

If you have a small enough puzzle (50 pieces and less) edges don't matter that much. Perhaps that was their reasoning, perhaps they saw pieces which belonged together and that's all that mattered or they were simply not ready for such concept.

Let your daughter built whatever way she wants to. You may try to build most of the puzzle for her and ask her to put in the last few pieces. May be that will interest her if not put it aside for a few months and try again later on.

LMom
    LMom #36171 01/25/09 10:05 PM
    M
    M
    At our house, it is three kids, three different approaches to puzzles (but not one of them did/does the edges first!):

Harpo was brilliant at them very early (200 piece ones he'd never seen before, done completely solo, at age 2), but he had the strangest way of doing them--he'd do them left to right in a row straight across one row at a time, then "carriage return", like a typewriter, back to the left edge, then another row straight across again, then "carriage return," etc., until it was done.

Groucho liked piling up the puzzle boxes and making forts out of them! He's my action man, and had/has no interest at all in sitting there sticking little bits of cardboard together, thank you. He likes building things (for example, he has a little woodworking kit he loves), but doesn't see any point in anything with no practical application.

Chico is also very good at puzzles (similar size and complexity to Harpo, but at age 3, rather than 2); he does them in what I consider a more "normal" way (i.e. the way I like to do them myself blush)--he sorts the bits into groups--all the castle pieces in this pile, all the horse bits in that pile, all the knight bits in this pile, etc., then builds one bit at a time, and then links the bits at the end. The Ravensburger puzzles seem very well-suited to this approach--there are lots of individual "chunks" in most of those puzzles, without lots of overlapping or "dead" background space.

It's fun to watch, isn't it? Have a good time with your little one!

peace
    minnie

minniemarx #36172 01/25/09 11:03 PM
    DD is doing puzzles and I tried the whole edge concept and corner pieces and to no avail... she likes to start in the middle. She understands the idea of the outer edge and when she gets to the corner piece or the edge she will tell me what it is but doing it first doesn't interest her.

I can say this. I have found that the wooden puzzles from Melissa and Doug are her favorite and they come in a wooden trays so I think that helped. And I am not sure if Tuesday Morning is a national chain or regional but if you have one near you see if they have the puzzles because I found them at the store for half price.

Also I talked about and showed her the importance of the picture and aligning it. So I showed her the trick of holding the piece over the others and comparing the image looking at colors and patterns. Once I showed her that it was a light went off and she had no problem doing the puzzle. She will still have it turned wrong on occasion so I have to say turn it and no problem. And I really think she could do it just fine with out my comments but I would probably need duct tape to stop that one!

Katelyn'sM om #36214 01/26/09 10:19 AM
    My two youngest girls both love puzzles, still do. DD4 had a strange way on putting them together too. both started at about 18 months , but the younger one would put random pieces of the puzzle in, no order at all, she would just pick up a piece put it down and thats where the piece would go. I have video of it and it still looks strange to me. I think they all just go at thier own pace whatever that may be. For example my girls wouldn't even look at lego's had no ideal what to do with them, then recently we went to legoland and now they've brought all the lego's out they received for Christmas's and birthday's and now I have masterpeices around the house. LOL

Mia #36216 01/26/09 10:48 AM
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by Mia
    LOL -- this is one HG+ thing that ds6 did/does *not* do. He's not a puzzler!

Same with my DS4. I never could figure out why he wasn't into puzzles, as everything else was very typically HG+ activities. When I did the Ruf scales on him when he was younger, it was always the one thing that he wasn't quite up to par on. He does still like them, but is not great at jigsaw puzzles. But actually recently he started doing puzzles on jigzone and he likes that.

Funny puzzle story, last night DH was watching some news show while he was playing sequence with DS and President Obama was on the screen. DS turns around and says "hey, I just did a 36 piece puzzle of him on jigzone earlier today where he had a microphone in his hand and his thumb was up" I laughed and said "do you know who that is?" he says "yes, Barack Obama"

mom2three #36219 01/26/09 10:54 AM
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by mom2three
    When my dd was little I would try to get her to do puzzles the same way you are doing, to no avail! Sorry, I wish I could help more. I think Mia is right though, some people have their own method of putting them together.
    Laura

You know, I always tried to show my DS4 how to do the edges first. Thanks for the reminder that they do things their own way. I guess I should have known that based on how he does everything else, but I will just let him do it however he does it next time. He does like jigzone.com, he can just piece it together however he wants. Plus he gets annoyed sometimes with real puzzles because he knocks the side and then a bunch of pieces move . That doesn't happen on the computer I guess.

oneisenough #36232 01/26/09 12:44 PM
    E
    E
    What kind of puzzles interest her?

-# of pieces?
    - wood , cardboard or other material?
    - characters/familiar images, patterns, animals?
    -3D, flat, ...

As suggested, some of the M&D wood puzzles (that have the pictures printed underneath on the tray) are a good way to ease into puzzles.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM