Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 410 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Originally Posted by oneisenough
    Originally Posted by acs
    And ditto on the "horizontal sensor" DH would have to walk DS for several hours each night before he was completely asleep adn could be put down.

we didn't have any luck with a sling or baby carrier either. I think maybe if i had started that right from day one, she might have given it a chance...but waited until she was a couple months old and there was just no way. ! lol

We used a Baby Bjorn from 3 weeks on and Mr W was facing forward at 3 mos. He had to have his nightly walk or he would NOT go to sleep. We got to where we would transition from the walk to his crib and that worked great.

Currently he needs 1-2 hours outside a day or he drives everyone nuts - rain or shine, cold or warm. We do a nightly walk and Mr W checks things out and listens to us talk.

Originally Posted by acs
    If we are not honest about how much hard work parenting is, we create a CULT of motherhood that does not support those mothers who feel tired and overwhelmed. I have seen many mothers who needed help but were afraid to ask for it because they were afraid that there was something wrong with them for not "loving every moment" of the parenting experience.

I fixed your post.

My DW and her friends talk about this. It amazing to me how few fathers are involved with their kids and appreciate their SAHM wives.

I
    I
    Reading this reminded me of something that did work and allowed me to take a break: the johnny jump up. grin

OP Offline
    is that like the jolly jumper?

Originally Posted by acs
    I know several people who went back to college and then on to get PhD's after having kids. One woman I know got her PhD the same year her son did. Don't give up.

A DW's friend got her BS, MS, and PHD after she became a single mom with FOUR kids. Of course, she lived a few minutes from work, elem school, and college!!

Reading all of this is really bringing back memories of how intense my DD really was... I think I have suppressed a lot of it! But reading the posts about slings and trying the playpen and bouncy chair and on and on I am coming back to a reality check about my DD as an infant. I could have wrote oneisenough's post verbatim. I remember commenting at one point that having babies on the whole really not that expensive especially if you breastfeed, but when you start adding in going to the baby store every few weeks and buying yet another contraption in hopes to appease the little monster to give you some sort of freedom even if it is for only 20 minutes... than the costs went through the roof. Okay we did not buy the vibrating playpen at first but we eventually bought a vibrating attachment in hopes to keep her occupied. Yea worked for a few uses. The bouncy chair was always out in hopes that she would like it. We played the game of move baby to next activity and see if that keeps her attention... never did. And the sling...worked for two days and I could at least go to the kitchen with her in it and have my arms free but than that was useless. It got to the point that I even wondered why we had a crib. My only savior was the swing and I felt like such a bad mother because that is the only place I could get her to sleep at night. But desperate times called for desperate methods. She spent her first 4 months in a swing to sleep. We used it so much that we had to buy a second one.

But we got past the hurdle and time heals all for me anyway because I really have forgotten A LOT of that. We even thought we had a child that was more normal in the sleeping department now, but I have come to discover that that is not true. She goes to bed with no problems but she still does not sleep through the whole night. I learned that on many of my trips with her. She will usually wake up around 3 am or 4 am and play quietly in her bed for an hour or two and finally go back to sleep until 7 or 8 if we are lucky... but she will never yell to get up rather play until we finally go in and get her. I have to say the whole imaginary play really works on our behalf. So she still doesn't sleep that much but is independent enough to allow us ours.

I
    I
    It's a contraption that you secure to the door frame and the baby "stands" supported by a seat. The baby can bounce, spin and jump. Looks like there's a few different names and styles including the Bungee Baby Bouncer.

http://www.amazon.com/Evenflo-Class...y-products&qid=1232403277&sr=8-1

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    oneisenough... I for one am very proud of you!!! I am so glad you ventured out and tried something different. Just remember that it is probably new to DD and I would not expect anything less for her first time. You should definitely take her back with the logic that it will hopefully become familiar to her and with that she will be more willing to open up. Just like it is baby steps for you; it is baby steps for her. But again take your bow and feel the warmth because you earned it!

Thank you! We will go back and I the way I look at it is that it was pretty much like an unstructured, paly-centered preschool but with a lot of adults there too. There was play time, snack time and circle time. So it would be great if she started to warm up to that environment because it could not only be fun for her, but it could be an nice introduction to preschool.

Originally Posted by oneisenough
    That was so frustrating! I also spent the first year sitting in the back seat with her so that I could entertain her. If I was alone in the car with her she would cry (or if I dared to try sitting in the front when dh was driving).

We have a stack of "car toys" he only sees when he is in the car. They are parceled out from the front seat to his hands as he gets bored with each one.

There are times on longer trips when he will scream to be let out of the car seat and NOTHING will stop him. His limit is an hour if no one is with him and three hours if its just one of us.

Its exhausting to entertain him and neither of us can do it for more than a couple of hours.

Last edited by Austin; 01/19/09 03:23 PM.
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by inky
    It's a contraption that you secure to the door frame and the baby "stands" supported by a seat. The baby can bounce, spin and jump. Looks like there's a few different names and styles including the Bungee Baby Bouncer.

http://www.amazon.com/Evenflo-Class...y-products&qid=1232403277&sr=8-1

ok gotcha! In Canada we call it a Jolly Jumper. I for sure thought dd would like that...it looked like so much fun! Whenever we would put her in there she always just hung there limp, looking around with a ver unimpressed look on her face...then the wailing would begin! I had hoped she would jump for hours and hours and be so tired that she would sleep all night long! lol maybe i get my hopes up a little too much!

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM