Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    #3486 09/19/07 03:31 PM
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    When I asked my junior (3y 10 m) what makes rain fall down, he said simply "gravity".

When he is searching for some thing he explains that he has "misplaced" it.
    He adores his Dad so much that he wishes he were a sea horse.
    (His mother tongue is tamil not english)

While discussing something the other day with DH I used the words "cannot say" in tamil.Junior immediately said "I think you mean "maybe" in english.

When Senior was 3.5 years old I told him the story of the thirsty crow who put pebbles in the jug to drink water.He immediately said "Oh so the crow used Archimedes Principle to raise the level of water"(I had taught him the principle at 2.5).

When Senior was 7.5 and hurt himself, I cleaned the wound with Dettol liquid soap and mentioned casually that had I used Savlon maybe it would not have stung so much (since that was Savlon's USP - to heal without hurting).By the time I ended the sentence, he had 1 observation - "Dettol was in the market before Savlon".
    Flabbergasted, I asked him to explain.He said patiently," You see once a product is launched in the market,it takes some time for an improved version to come in.Since both products are available in the same market and being purchased by the same customers, Dettol would have been introduced first.The reverse, according to him is not logically possible in the same customer segment."

My older son(33 weeker 8y 10m) was wondering aloud the other day whether something could be done to make human limbs grow back like lizard tails.Says it would help accident victims and is planning to research on stem cells during these holidays....

Enjoy your kids ...

I loved this one - age 9:
    "hey Mom, wanna hear a joke?"
    Me: Sure.

Silence.
    DS: Wait a minute, Mom, I have to configure it first.

Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Lovely.Their brains are configured differently.That's for sure.

twiceblessed

J
    J
    I was driving in the car with my boys today and i could see that my son Andrew had a paper in his hand, and he said
    "Mom, is a this map of North America?"
    I couldn't see what he had and i chuckled and said,
    "I don't think so it's probably a map of Dad's College"
    When I got out of the car, He handed me the paper and said
    " It's North America."
    It was North America! Just a line drawing sort of map from something my husband did at school! I was so dumb-founded!

J
    J
    oh, my son turned 3 in july, by the way...
    (forgot to mention his age)

Last edited by Jenafur; 09/20/07 04:16 PM.
    Wow Jen!
    Big Smiles,
    Trinity

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Today's gem-

Junior(3y 10 m) draws an angler fish with 2 lures(projections on the head) instead of one and christens it the Bactrian Angler fish (since bactrian camels have two humps).

J
    J
    LOL Twiceblessed! ...little scientist...

T
    OP Offline
    T

((big smile))
    Loved the Aliens!
    Trin

B
    bk1 Offline
    B
    I realize you've got these drawings saved digitally -- but these need to be displayed! They are so cute. For some of my son's artwork, I bought cheap clipframes (no frame, just glass or plexiglass held together with the clips) and hung them up at home and in my office.

bk1 #3844 10/09/07 11:19 PM
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Straight out of Junior's mouth-
    Today's gems...

My soon to be 4 year old started playing a game of "What goes with" after reading a book which had riddles.When it came to
    What goes with books? His answer -"Bookmarks"
    What goes with Theory ? His answer "Albert Einstein"
    What goes with eyes?His answer "Pupils and eyebrows"
    What goes with the planets?His answer"The sun and satellites"
    What goes with Head?His answer "Forehead and Brains"
    What goes with a naughty boy?His answer "Naughty Corners"

Last edited by twiceblessed; 10/09/07 11:20 PM.
    I love gifted kid humor! Clever and goofy is a combination that simply can't be beat! laugh

Kriston
    My wry, witty and yet serious-minded DS6 walked in after bedtime to find DH and I laughing at a joke at the beginning of an episode of "Boston Legal"

"What's so funny?" asked DS.

"Adult humor," replied DH. (translation: "It involves too much specific knowledge of legal and medical terminology for me to feel like explaining it to you.")

"I sometimes laugh at adult humor," said DS, looking serious and yet wry in a way that seems specific to him, "I am part adult. I am part child."

I LMAO! "What part of you is adult, oh six-year-old? Your little toe?"

"No, my brain, of course," DS smiled confidently.

Naturally, I disabused him of this notion and shooed him off to bed. But what a hoot! That kid amuses me no end!

Kriston
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Your son's comment took me back to a recent episode when DH was reading a book of adult jokes and DS8 wanted to have a peek.DH said "you would not understand half of them anyway" in a bid to shoo him off and DS retorted "Well let me read the other half then." Gotta mind even your commas and fullstops when you talk to these kids....

No doubt!

What slays me is the combination of serious and funny. He knew he was being funny and that there was no WAY I was going to let him think of himself as an adult! But at the same time, he IS such a little man at times like that one--I can totally see the adult he will be showing from within the boy--and he prides himself on that maturity. (Note that these are NOT times like when he cries during his football game. Different times altogether! Ah, that asynchrony....)

Nevertheless there are times when these kids are just such fun! Really, just so much fun! laugh

Kriston
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    DS3y11m - Grandma, I want to go to College.

Grandma - You will be there in 14 years.I don't know whether I will be alive to see that.

DS - Oh,don't worry.You will live for a billion years.

Grandma - A billion is too big a number.I can't count that far.

DS- You mean it's close to infinity???

<grin>

Kriston
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    DS3y11m doing the antonyms with me reaches the word "cheap"

Myself - Do you understand the word "cheap"?

DS- Oh yes,I do.

Myself (sceptically) - Well, explain the word.

DS - You get things cheap(er) at some shops.

Myself - When you say cheap you mean you pay more or less ?

DS - Less of course.Like at the Millitary Shop (I purchased some stuff at the Army Canteen in India before relocation - 8 months back).Or even the 2 $ shop where I got my Green car with a left hand drive.

Myself (almost falling off the chair) - Well, ok,I bet you don't know the opposite of cheap.

DS - It's "expensive".

I fall off the chair.

Moral - Never underestimate your child especially a gifted one .! & 1 make 11 which is a lot more than 2.

Enjoy

R
    R
    Cian, who was 6 at the time, said to me one day:
    "Dad, if I was travelling at the speed of light would I be able to see my shadow?"

Raddy #4087 10/27/07 07:00 PM
    Two remarks from DD that have stuck with me were both around 4 or 5 years old.

1. We were at a store and DD was spending her birthday money. As she was making her purchase, she said to the cashier: "I wish I could get that bracelet, but it's just not within my budget."

2. We were admiring trees in autumn and DD regarded "how spectacular this must look in orbit".

I love these! How wonderful it is to hear that its not just something that happens in our home! Great, great stories!

When my DS was 2 he asked me why, when God said not to kill, it was ok for David to kill Goliath?

That one got me!!! :-)

Ah, a budding ethicist! Or a theologian? Either way, great fun! laugh

Kriston
    dd once asked me this (she was 4 at the time)

"If heaven is where God is, and everyone is trying to get to heaven, then why are we on earth in the first place?"

and then her sassy side:

There was a show that came on tv that had a "high school" theme to it and we felt it was too old for dd so we told her that she would have to wait until she was older to watch it, that it wasn't appropriate for her age. (at the time she was almost 6). She went to her room in a huff and came back out 5 minutes later carrying a small wall plaque that said "Sleep like a bug in a rug". She laid the plaque on the floor in front of us and said "I can't have this in my room" and she turned and marched back to her room. Dh and I just looked at eachother, turned over the plaque and there we read the sticker on it which said "Not intended for children under 8 years of age".

I guess she was showing us! LOL!~

Last edited by Tammiane; 11/09/07 10:28 PM.
    Dottie #4300 11/10/07 02:45 PM
    ROTFL! Loved the plaque one especially. Tammiane. I just read that one aloud to DH.

laugh

Kriston
    Yes, she's quite a character...always keeps us on our toes!

Mom2LA #4952 11/28/07 03:47 PM
    Isa Offline
    Hi!

DD is more into asking questions, like 'Why do birds have beaks and not mouths with teeth?' or 'Why do ducks float?' She was about 3.5 yrs old when she asked these questions.

Isa #5039 11/30/07 10:39 AM
    You all know those moments when your child refers to something that you just know they haven't been exposed to for more than half their lifetime. Well last night we had the inverse:

DH: Well - when life gives you lemons....((eyebrows raised and wagging))
    DS11: I make beef stew!
    DH: ((quizzical look))
    Me: So, yo! I gotta go, It's time for me to rock'n
    I put bologna in my left pocket
    DS: You remember that? That's from such a long time ago! How could you remember that?
    Me: I don't know. At first it just sounded familiar, then I realized - Andy Milonakis! You look impressed.
    DS: I am impressed, and a little frightened.
    DH: ((quizzical look))
    Me: ((thoughts inside head: haven't we had this same conversation before with the roles reversed? I finally have a contribution to Gifted Kids Speak!))

Big Smiles,
    Trinity

Isa Offline
    My mom told me that I asked her if Eve had a nombril after she explained to me why do we have one.

Isa #5081 11/30/07 04:43 PM
    Belly button?
    Awwwh that's so sweet!
    Trining

DD4: "Mom, how does the baby get in your stomach
    Me: "When the mommy and the daddy get married, then the baby gets in the tummy.
    DD4: "yeah, but how did the baby GET in the tummy?"
    Me: "I'll tell you later."
    IN THE GROCERY STORE....
    DD4: "Mom, how does the baby get in the tummy?"
    Me: "I'll tell you later."
    AT THE PLAYGROUND....
    (same as above)
    AT CHURCH......
    (same as above)
    IN FRONT OF TEACHER.....
    (same as above)
    AT SUNDAY NIGHT DINNER.....
    DD4: "Okay, now, MOM....HOW DOES THE BABY GET IN THE TUMMY?!?!?!?!
    I look at DH
    DD6: (piping in with a very serious face) "Yeah mom, I mean, I know the seed is in the man's penis, but how did dad's seed get into you......Did he pee on you?"

DH sprays milk all over the table laughing so hard!! smile

DD's are now 5 and 7 and still like to put us on the spot!!

K
    K
    incogneato - that is classic! Hilarious.

My 7 old last night was a real gem. We are eating at a restaurant. DH had a late night at work so it was just me and the 2 kids (DS7 and DD3). As usual, DS7 wanted to have a lengthy discussion on the finer points of the menu while the waitress was just standing there trying to take our order

ME: Please hurry up and make a decision. She is waiting.
    DS7: Mom - please (rolling eyes). She's a WAITress.

The waitress was NOT impressed with his wit in the least. Ugh. I tried to compensate with a big tip! And our evening closed on a discussion on how we need to have nice manners if we want good service.

Dottie #5090 11/30/07 08:29 PM
    blush
    Oh if only they could be gifted in when to be gifted aloud!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Cousin Trin

When I was pregnant with current DS3, now DS6 (who was just 2 at the time, to confuse matters and thereby invoke Confused...) was learning the specifics of body parts. We figured if he knew cranium and tibia and humerus, he could also learn uterus. I actually thought it might be less confusing for him to know that the baby wasn't in my belly, but was in a special body part for making babies. It seems to cause fewer problems of understanding.

At an early appointment with the nurse-midwife, DS accompanied me. The midwife bent down and said to DS, in her best condescending voice, "Now, honey, you know that Mommy's got a baby in her tummy, right?"

DS gave me a strange look, like "You're going to trust this woman?" and politely (but firmly) corrected her: "The baby isn't in her belly; it's in her *uterus*."

The midwife and I laughed our heads off! Her comment: "Well, he's Harvard-bound, isn't he!?"

Nothing like an anatomy lecture to a health care pro from a 2yo! LOL! I stil laugh when I think about it.

Kriston
    J
    J
    I love reading all these stories. Kriston's story reminded me of my DS3. Last year, he fell and hit his face on the ground. He grabbed his mouth and started crying. I said, "Let me see, did you hurt your lips?" He said through his tears, "no, I hurt my maxilla." I said "your WHAT?!" He said, a little uncertain, "my maxilla." And I just burst out laughing with surprise. Still with tears streaming down his face but now his pain completely forgotten, he pointed to the part above his lips and said, "what's this called?" He thought my laughing at him meant he got it wrong.

He's always been interested in the human body. This year, when we announced that there is a baby in my belly, he said with a concerned voice, "I hope the baby doesn't drink your blood. You need your blood." So, I told him that the baby is in my uterus and there's no blood in it, and that the uterus will grow and stretch with the baby, like a balloon, so there will be plenty of room for the baby to grow. He said, "I hope your uterus doesn't get too big and pop. The baby might get startled by the loud noise." The kid has many worries.

junior #5117 12/01/07 04:52 PM
    ...by the loud noise! Ha! Love it! laugh

Kriston
    C
    C
    Well you had to go and invoke me didn cha, Kriston
    So now you have to hear my related story.
    When dd was 2.5 or so she was in a daycare that had a large unisex bathroom for all the kids her age.
    She pointed at one of the boys and said "boys have a p---s but girls have to sit down because their urethra comes out from the vulva."

We had mentioned this stuff only once months before when she asked a large number of body part names and we never discussed the physical relationships between parts and we had never had any discussion of boy parts or differences. Luckily the daycare teacher thought it was funny and very much enjoyed my discomfiture as she told me the story....

J
    J
    Here's another related story: When DS3 was two, I was potty training him and would go to the bathroom in front of him on purpose. One day, he asked me, "Mommy, where's your penis?" I had a ready answer that I had read in a parenting magazine (it never even occurred to me to go into urethra and vulva and all that); I said, "boys have a penis and girls have a vagina." He said, "I want to see your vagina." Well, I actually started blushing. I wasn't about to display my vagina in order to satisfy his curiosity! I said, "Your penis sticks out so it's easy to see but my vagina is... kind of hard to see." Later I heard him explain to DH, "Mommy's vagina is hiding in her hair."

Another funny story from when he was two: We were taking a walk when DS3 stopped all of a sudden. He looked up at me with a mischievous/excited/nervous smile and said, �I stopped.� I said, �I can see that. Why did you stop?� He said, �The sign says no stopping anytime, but I stopped.� I looked up and realized he had read the street sign, �No Stopping Anytime.� He wanted to see what would happen if he disobeyed the sign.

junior #5144 12/02/07 03:52 PM
    These are fun stories! I have a new one to share:

DD age 7, is rereading an adult mythology book for the umpteenth time. I haven't read it myself, and had a parental twinge and thought to ask her, "That's an adult book. Is there anything inappropriate in there?" to which DD replied, "Oh yes, lots of sex. With all different people. I've noticed that the Greek Gods liked to have sex a lot." I could hardly stop laughing, she said in her sweet little voice with such a straight face.

Dottie #8590 02/10/08 11:20 AM
    Is it time for another round of these? DS6 made up a joke that I laughed at for a long time, so I thought I'd share:

Q: What did Peppermint Patty say to Charlie Brown when he was vomiting?

A: "What's up, Chuck?"

I doubt he's the first person to ever come up with that joke, but I know he didn't read it or hear it anywhere, so I give him credit! And unlike much 6yo humor, it's actually funny! smile

Kriston
    Hi im DS11 on my mom's account. I have summarized a theory of evolution that is more realistic than anything that has been published so far.

Many say people evolved because of their up-right posture, some people say that humans evolved because of their thumb, I belive humans evolved because of their middle finger.
    In the Ying-Yang symbol there is a dot of good in evil and a dot of evil in good. I belive that this means that good can create evil and evil can do good. I think that the part of evil in good relates to that humans evolved because of their wanting to rise in the world, or become more powerful, (evil). We are one of the only animals on the planet to be never satisfied. If a dog gets a bone as long as it is chewing it will be happy. If someone gets a new mac-book its great... Until the mac-book air comes out. I recently recieved a mac-book and now even I am wanting the new one. I think that the wanting (evil) has made good because we are still alive.
    In the garden of eden adam and eve were told NEVER to eat fruit from the two sacred trees. The snake invluenced them to eat apples and that was bad (evil). BUT if they had never eaten the apples we would not be ALIVE!
    To summarize this I am saying that Human competetiveness, greed, and stubbornness (all thought to be bad) has made us here today (which i think is good)!
    What I am trying to portray is the fact that EVERYTHING needs to be looked upon fairly, things should be said as they are, not good or evil, Bad or good.

Thank you for reading this grin !

Sincerley
    DS11

Have you taken a philosophy course yet, DS11? You're a natural!

laugh

Kriston
    ((Tee-Hee))
    Thank You
    DS11

Dottie #8674 02/11/08 07:39 PM
    ((Tee-Hee))
    Thank You
    Grinity

G
    G
    Hey DS11, nice thoughts! There are some major philosophers (Foucault or Nietzsche come to mind) who argue similar ideas thinking that power is a productive, creative force that can't be thought of as "good" or "evil."

I especially like the yin-yang example and the argument that there isn't any "pure" good or evil, but rather everything is a mixture of both.

And thinking about mac-books, there are a number of old proverbs that say things like "those who want more than they have are destined to be miserable and those satisfied with what they have are going to be happy." I think B. Franklin said something like this once regarding financial income -- if you make little and save 5%, you'll be happy, but if you make a lot and spend 105% of what you make, you'll be miserable. I sometimes think about that and wonder if I wouldn't rather be the dog with the bone?! Then, I could just be happy with my old mac and not looking for the cool one that fits in an envelope!

Thanks for writing DS 11 smile

Dottie #8762 02/13/08 09:26 AM
    DS11:

I like the way you think, kid. wink

Thank goodness for you!

Incog

K
    K
    Wow DS11! Very intriquing thoughts. I'll be milling that over all day. Thanks for sharing! And thanks to your mom for letting you share. smile

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM