Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Dottie #8590 02/10/08 11:20 AM
    Is it time for another round of these? DS6 made up a joke that I laughed at for a long time, so I thought I'd share:

Q: What did Peppermint Patty say to Charlie Brown when he was vomiting?

A: "What's up, Chuck?"

I doubt he's the first person to ever come up with that joke, but I know he didn't read it or hear it anywhere, so I give him credit! And unlike much 6yo humor, it's actually funny! smile

Kriston
    Hi im DS11 on my mom's account. I have summarized a theory of evolution that is more realistic than anything that has been published so far.

Many say people evolved because of their up-right posture, some people say that humans evolved because of their thumb, I belive humans evolved because of their middle finger.
    In the Ying-Yang symbol there is a dot of good in evil and a dot of evil in good. I belive that this means that good can create evil and evil can do good. I think that the part of evil in good relates to that humans evolved because of their wanting to rise in the world, or become more powerful, (evil). We are one of the only animals on the planet to be never satisfied. If a dog gets a bone as long as it is chewing it will be happy. If someone gets a new mac-book its great... Until the mac-book air comes out. I recently recieved a mac-book and now even I am wanting the new one. I think that the wanting (evil) has made good because we are still alive.
    In the garden of eden adam and eve were told NEVER to eat fruit from the two sacred trees. The snake invluenced them to eat apples and that was bad (evil). BUT if they had never eaten the apples we would not be ALIVE!
    To summarize this I am saying that Human competetiveness, greed, and stubbornness (all thought to be bad) has made us here today (which i think is good)!
    What I am trying to portray is the fact that EVERYTHING needs to be looked upon fairly, things should be said as they are, not good or evil, Bad or good.

Thank you for reading this grin !

Sincerley
    DS11

Have you taken a philosophy course yet, DS11? You're a natural!

laugh

Kriston
    ((Tee-Hee))
    Thank You
    DS11

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Dottie #8674 02/11/08 07:39 PM
    ((Tee-Hee))
    Thank You
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    G
    G
    Hey DS11, nice thoughts! There are some major philosophers (Foucault or Nietzsche come to mind) who argue similar ideas thinking that power is a productive, creative force that can't be thought of as "good" or "evil."

I especially like the yin-yang example and the argument that there isn't any "pure" good or evil, but rather everything is a mixture of both.

And thinking about mac-books, there are a number of old proverbs that say things like "those who want more than they have are destined to be miserable and those satisfied with what they have are going to be happy." I think B. Franklin said something like this once regarding financial income -- if you make little and save 5%, you'll be happy, but if you make a lot and spend 105% of what you make, you'll be miserable. I sometimes think about that and wonder if I wouldn't rather be the dog with the bone?! Then, I could just be happy with my old mac and not looking for the cool one that fits in an envelope!

Thanks for writing DS 11 smile

Dottie #8762 02/13/08 09:26 AM
    DS11:

I like the way you think, kid. wink

Thank goodness for you!

Incog

K
    K
    Wow DS11! Very intriquing thoughts. I'll be milling that over all day. Thanks for sharing! And thanks to your mom for letting you share. smile

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM