Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 145 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DD is driving me crazy! She is asking for fairy-tale stories all day long. I mean ALL day long. As soon as she is awake, while I take her to the school, when I pick her up, when she is bathing, in the car, while we walk, while we dinner....

I never thought I could be THAT inventive!
    I think I need to dig out my copy of 1001 nights...

DH says I should write those stories hehehe!

Is anyone's DC so obsessed with story telling?

My dd7 is and has been for as long as I can remember. I started switching it up after a while and asking her to add to the story or choose a situation for the story.

Now she likes to tell the stories. I have started writing them down for her and it is fun for us to go back and read them.

Have you tried an Illustory with her? I don't know how old she is, but dd liked these from about age 3. I would write the words as she dictated and then she would add the pictures.

My DD5 and DD4 has always wanted the stories too. My DH has so many stories about muskrats he should write a series. That muskrat goes everywhere, to school, to the park, on a trip, and he lives in our playhouse in the backyard has a little muskrat family, you get the ideal. smile

Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Doesn't this exhaust you?

If I ask her to tell me a story she becomes almost angry and says that she does not know to tell stories. However, she often interrupts me telling me what is going to happen next, and I have to re-tell the whole thing according to her script wink

We tried some sort of illustory with stickers some time ago - maybe we can do it again. Thanks for the suggestion,
    She is 5.5 by the way,

She loves stories about Little Ponies. Sometimes I have to impose some other protagonists....

I was thinking to introduce her to role games - like Dungeons and Dragons but in some simplified version. Has anyone tried these kind of games? I think I will like them hehehe...

I
    I
    Our library has a great selection of books on CD and they've been a lifesaver! I also check out the book for DDs to follow along with if it's available. I think it's really helped their reading fluency too.

Our DS5(bday today!) loves stories too. DH and I lucked out by having my mom, who is a very willing and imaginative story-teller, living nearby and being the first culprit for DS. His story obsession started when he was playing tower defense games, and the stories are all about the creatures in the game. (This has evolved to including creatures of various different made-up planets, etc, etc, depending on what books we are reading with him.) It's more of a joint effort, with DS5 interrupting to make sure the story is exactly how he wants it, and grammy making him take a turn every so often. But it's definitely an ongoing saga, which would have filled pages of books by now! Whenever DS sees his grammy, he says "Get on with the Tower Story!" DH and I used trickery to get out of this, by telling feeble stories when it was our turn to tell the story, or killing off main characters, or saying "The End." (The characters we killed off of course would be resurrected by DS and grammy, and DH and i were off the hook!)

Their exhusting to begin with, they make me use too much brain power that I don't have. What's come out of it is that both of them on their own have started writing their own books. First DD4 wrote the "Pink Cat" and now were getting unto the "Pink Cat" series. DD5 has started hers as "I love Cats" Sounds silly but you should see how much detail they put into it. I think sometimes you just have to go with it and see what journey they take you on, I'm just along for the ride!

How about taking turns telling the story? You tell part then she tells part. If you say, "Hmmm, what should happen next?" maybe she'll play?

Kriston
    M
    M
    First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to st pauli boy! Hope 5 is a great year!

Isa, my lads are enthralled with stories, too--it's the biggest single thing we do here! We have the ongoing saga of the "Stinking Fish Chronicles", wherein our three heroes have many an adventure and wind up with the keys to the city at the end of every story. That's our main series--also, we have Groucho's operettas (he's obsessed with Gilbert & Sullivan, and wants to be the next Gilbert)--these are extremely complex, and involve multiple parts, costume designs, plans for staging.... When I get tired, I get them to tell me stories involving combinations of characters from books they've read--"suppose Aunt Gertrude Hardy were to meet Captain Haddock, and then they bump into King Pellinore and the Questing Beast, and then Curdie and some goblins arrive, shortly before Malvolio enters cross-gartered...what happens next?" They take great glee in this kind of stuff, and they can spin it out for hours!

Don't know what I'd do if I only had one, though...this is one of those situations where siblings pick up some of the parental load, I think!

peace
    minnie

W
    W
    DD3 used to be obsessed with the time and what that means. Seriously, she was asking me "what time is it?" and then "what does that mean?" every 5 minutes for up to 2.5 hours! It drove me bonkers! We spent some time over Christmas teaching her how to tell time (she still only consistently gets the hours right); however, now she constantly asks us to tell her "a scary baby story".... I never thought I'd miss her time obsession :-)

It's so funny - I rarely post questions, but I learn so much from the answers to other people's. I keep thinking, "why didn't I think to ask for help on this?" I love Kriston's suggestion - I wish I could wake up DD3 now to try it out (or not) ;-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM