Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 88 guests, and 41 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #34785 01/13/09 01:39 PM
    S
    Steph Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I wasn't going to post but then figured I will in case it helps someone else debating the process. We'd always knew DS was bright but just figured that was it. At the end of K last spring, his reading teacher recommended gifted testing. He took the SBV & WJIII, met w/the school, rec was skip w/pull outs. He has now skipped & is doing excellent in 2nd, still pulled out for reading & enrichment.

I was concerned about starting the app because I was nervous. Fears like - is he "that" gifted, embarrassed to ask for a letter, etc. He met the basic test requirements but just over on one. I just hand wrote the app, didn't have any really grand stories of remarkable toddler accomplishments, just basic? stuff like early reading, eagerness to learn type things. I didn't add any extra work, just attached his report & test scores and one rec from his pull out teacher because I'm most comfortable with her.

He was accepted. It feel weird just even writing this but I read a lot after we got the news. I've posted a little here & read far more! I still feel overwhelmed & intimidated by the levels of brightness! Maybe there's someone else feeling like us that might feel better by learning the process isn't totally scary. My main motivation for making the leap was hope to find some others like him & people to relate.

** just wanted to add I did NOT want it sound at all like I'm breezily saying oh, we didn't have to do anything & he just got accepted. Totally not how I meant it but didn't want anyone to read it that way. Just saying if anyone else was intimidated by trying to think of extraordinary things their kids did and inventions at age 4, don't panic, we didn't have that stuff either. He's a pretty normal kid with a great memory and love of vocab & learning. smile

Last edited by Steph; 01/13/09 03:25 PM.
    Q
    Q
    Congratulations to your DS, Steph! That's great news. And yes, from what I've read here, qualifying scores in the academic areas seem to work just fine for acceptance. Good for you not to have to go the extra mile, and thanks for posting such encouraging news for others. And lucky you to have such a good school situation. Glad you posted!

Hi Steph! Congrats to DS! Ditto what Questions said. I felt kind of similar. I remember thinking: "Am I kidding myself here?", when I was filling out the application for DD8.

I guess if you fill it out and send it in, it could be a yes. However, if you second guess yourself and never send it in all, it's definately a no! wink

Originally Posted by Steph
    I still feel overwhelmed & intimidated by the levels of brightness! Maybe there's someone else feeling like us that might feel better by learning the process isn't totally scary. My main motivation for making the leap was hope to find some others like him & people to relate.

Steph, I am so with you. When DS6 got accepted to DYS I had a real impostor syndrome. LOL After spending time with other DYS kids and parents, and reading DYS lists I've realized that he fits right in. There are kids which are much smarter than he is but there are also quite a few on his level.

LMom
    I
    I
    Thanks for posting that. I am overwhelmed and barely have time to investigate the tests, options, schools, psychologsits etc.

Does anyone have information about how they got their child tested? Was it privately, via the school, or using a pediatrician or psychologist? EVerything I've read on the cyber site suggests your choice of tester is very important and that someone familir with giftedness is essential!

The school has "out of the blue" it now seems, nominated my son for possible identification/placement in the gifted program <?> and sent the request to a "committee". I don't know the structure of the County system that well. I'm assuming they are using a school/County contact to do this before he reaches 3rd grade. I'm going to assume its the person that would co-ordinate the Grade 3 tests. It's unnerving when things happen without explanation and details - even though this sounds like a positive move in the right direction.

As a mom - I'm going through similar issues as Steph - of just wanting a normal child, wondering whether he really is "that gifted", will he remain so, and what does it all mean? End of the day you just want a happy child able to contribute to society! Feeling quite guilty at not doing more before now, as he is nealry 6 now. Guess we need to focus on celebrating everything - but sometimes - I just want it all to go away!

To those of you in the Fairfax VA system - are you just using a County system to get your tests done before your children are in Grade 3, or are they all Grade 3 level now anyway? I'd like to hear from parents that successfully got their child tested before Grade 3, and possibly using a school or County system rather than paying privately - but all information helpful!

S
    Steph Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by IronMom
    Thanks for posting that. I am overwhelmed and barely have time to investigate the tests, options, schools, psychologsits etc.

The school has "out of the blue" it now seems, nominated my son for possible identification/placement in the gifted program <?> and sent the request to a "committee".
    As a mom - I'm going through similar issues as Steph - of just wanting a normal child, wondering whether he really is "that gifted", will he remain so, and what does it all mean? End of the day you just want a happy child able to contribute to society! Feeling quite guilty at not doing more before now, as he is nealry 6 now. Guess we need to focus on celebrating everything - but sometimes - I just want it all to go away!

To those of you in the Fairfax VA system - are you just using a County system to get your tests done before your children are in Grade 3, or are they all Grade 3 level now anyway?

Ironmom - we came from Ffx Co!! We lived there until shortly before DS started K but I had 2 older girls in the school system. I would say you're in good hands there. I have heard complaints w/the LD services there but friends w/kids in the gifted magnets (very happy) & schools - happy but depends on the school. As a parent, I personally would be comfortable having my kid tested through them.

DS was 5 when he was tested too & I had all the same ?? you posted! And guilt for not paying attention, like we were starving him educationally, kwim?

If you're comfortable, send me a pm where you are - we lived in Burke & I miss it so much! It's not bad here, that was just home for me.

Thanks everyone, I'm very curious to see if there are any families near us. I don't talk to anyone about him IRL, they just know he grade skipped.

Originally Posted by Steph
    Just saying if anyone else was intimidated by trying to think of extraordinary things their kids did and inventions at age 4, don't panic, we didn't have that stuff either. He's a pretty normal kid with a great memory and love of vocab & learning. smile
    Congratulations to your DS! And thank you for posting this. I was wondering myself after looking at the application. Some of the questions make more sense for older kids who have figured out their passions.

Congratulations, Steph and your DS! laugh

I think one of the reasons GT denial is so common among parents of HG+ kids is because we all think "Well, my 5yo (or whatever) isn't curing cancer or writing a novel, so he's not THAT smart, certainly not PG like they want for DYS!"

But the fact is, even PG 5yos aren't usually curing cancer or writing a novel! They aren't in college yet, let alone grad school. They're just smart kids who like to learn, learn faster than most people, and wind up ahead of the curve.

Sometimes I think those "smart kids" segments on the news and Oprah can do parents of GT kids something of a disservice... :p

Kriston
    I submitted my DS application a couple of weeks ago. I posted on here about the possibility of acceptance without the tests the Institute specifically asks for.

My DS6 was tested through the school and they use the DAS-II. They did do the WJ tests as well, so that was a plus. If it turns out that they want the SB-V, I'll have to have him tested privately as the district doesn't offer any other tests.

I twisted in circles for days trying to figure out the best answers to the questions on the application. I found it funny that even though I was filling it out for the express purpose of proving my son is gifted, I still felt like I was bragging and was a little uncomfortable. It's really nice to hear that the major focus doesn't seem to be on those parts. So I will just keep my fingers crossed and wait.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Good luck BWB, fingers crossed for DS6.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM