Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Well, things are finally looking up. After how long on the advocating front we may be making a breakthrough...We had our big meeting this morning. The school has made a complete turn around and qualified my daughter for speech and language services! Finally, a light at the end of the tunnel.

The second bit of big news, I'm almost hesitant to mention since it hasn't been completely worked out yet...but the school is offering a partial day because they admit that they aren't able to meet my daughters needs in a productive way in some subjects. She is just to far ahead. The principal is very on board and they now move to the assistant superintendant who, when I talked to her last year felt we could work something out, fingers crossed. They also have to look at the teacher schedules and see if they can provide English Language arts in the morning, maybe with history and a special or something of that nature. We would like for her to have ELA since that is the once subject she is "normal" in and also that could help with troubles associated with her aspergers. She will receive speech and language therapy in some form yet to be decided, twice a week. She will be in the building roughly three hours until just before lunch. She would continue to do math and science at home with any other subjects not covered in the morning session.

Could anyone who has children in split classrooms or any type of situation not the "typical" school day please chime in with any advice, or anyone with something that I have missed. Her IEP has been temporarily suspended while the school tries to figure out how this will work. I am so hoping this will work. If it wasn't for her aspergers I wouldn't even try it but I do want her to recieve any services that they can offer her.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    I
    I
    The second bit of big news, I'm almost hesitant to mention since it hasn't been completely worked out yet...but the school is offering a partial day because they admit that they aren't able to meet my daughters needs in a productive way in some subjects.
    I don't have any experience with partial day but it sounds awesome. Wish I had a DOK smiley! grin

Great News Melmich! I'm very glad to hear that the school is offering services and perhaps willing to do partial day - Yippee!
    Grins

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    YES DOK for a partial day! WOW!!! A friend of mine does that and it has worked out very well.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent