This is probably a long shot, but I would like to open a private school in the city I live in (Canada). I am wondering if anyone on this forum has any experience with this?

I have been thinking about this for years, but only recently decided to seriously look at some options. Honestly, I have little idea about what is involved. I know the regulations and those sorts of things (ie how to get money from the government!), but in terms of how to get the school up and running, I am a bit lost.

I think my biggest question is: are private schools "owned" by someone? I have worked at 2 different private schools and I never heard about an "owner". There were Headmasters, principals, board of directors etc...but who was the owner? What there someone behind the scenes? Do they cut themselves a paycheck? Someone had to start the school at some point right?

So that is a big question of mine, but the MAJOR topic I am struggling with is deciding what "type" of school I would want to open. I am doing quite a bit of online research, but if anyone could help me out by posting some of the different types of schools you havecome across that would be so helpful. By "type" i mean different theories or philosophies of education.

So far I have a very short list of school types:

all-girls
all-boys
gifted education
sports based
fine arts based
math/science based
montessori
waldorf
enki
religous/spiritual
green

I should mention that this will be an elementary school (k-5 or k-7), but probably would start off with only primary grades (k-3).

Thank you for any input you feeling like giving me!