Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 159 guests, and 39 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #34094 01/05/09 03:05 PM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Just curious what gifts other kids were drawn towards and seem to enjoy playing with. DS4 is pretty much using all different things, but he does like pass the pigs, Blokus, and chocolate fix (a really cool game that I would definitely recommend). And he loves the wheel of fortune game that hooks up to the TV. And his marble maze that he makes contraptions with.

Any other hits with your kids?

Ooh! I have been wanting to share this one: we downloaded World of Goo for the Wii...it is a physics based building game with goo balls that stick together different ways. It sort of reminds me of the online building game that was being talked about on this forum a while back. Ds8 is really enjoying this one as am I. Not sure how much we are learning about physics but each level is a bit of a brain teaser definitely. (What sort of thing to build is not always obvious).

He had a blast playing electronic Battleship with one of his friends from school who got it for christmas, so that might have to get bumped up on the list of things to consider for future.

I can't wait to read what was the hit for everyone's kids. DD (28 mths) received a lot of things and the funny NOT hit is something her grandparents searched all over for and finally ordered it online. The little tikes 'Amazing Color Copier'. Such a bad design all the way around and even the adults could not get a 'copy'. I felt bad for them b/c I know they are trying to connect with her and they know she likes to draw but the toy was so bad.

Her hit was the ceramic tea set. She loves having tea parties with all her stuffed animals and dolls. And the other was a remote control car. At first glance from such the opposite spectrum, but beyond taking the car for a 'walk' with daddy, she treats the car like a special doll that needs to be held and rocked and she so wants to take it upstairs to bed with her.

M
    M
    Chico's favourites were a coffee-table book (found remaindered!) about Mars, complete with 3-D glasses, and the fudge Groucho made him.

Groucho's favourites were TH White's "Mistress Masham's Repose" and his new gloves (they've always had mittens before, and gloves were a new and thrilling experience!).

Harpo's favourites were the Kingfisher Geography Encyclopedia and "Artifact", a board game about repatriating archaeological finds to their countries of origin.

The biggest hit of all was the two feet of snow, which is extremely rare here!

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday season--

peace
    minnie

Marble Run & 8 Dragon Slayer's Academy books (which all have been read already!?!).

JB

Mia Offline
    Minni, ds6 loves coffee table books! Lots of pictures, but lots of interesting facts, and they don't "talk down" to him. Highly recommended!

Ds6's favorites were his Lava lamp, the first two Series of Unfortunate Events Books, and a bunch of Mr. Men books--I got him pertinent ones, like "Mr Noisy", "Mr Tickle", "Mr Grumpy" and "Mr Chatterbox." The Mr Men books caused a present-opening problem, as we were working on a travelling deadline and he just wanted to read them!

The first SofUE book was read before 2 pm on Christmas Day, and books 2 and 3 were both read in one sitting as well! I was surprised and pleased to find fiction he really enjoys, he's been on a loong nonfiction kick and wasn't interested in novels, though perfectly capable of reading them. I've got book 4 waiting for a lazy afternoon.

Mia
    I
    I
    The dinosaur digs from Mindware were very popular with DDs6&4. It's probably better as a warm weather gift though. I'd have preferred to have the mud and dirt outside instead of all over the kitchen. It was a gift that kept giving since it led to DDs creating a dinosaur museum in the living room to show off their finds.

DS4(5 next week!) loves his Wii Boom Blox. Oh, and he loved making a shiny ribbon collection. His shiny ribbons played a part in his magic santa detector (which in the end failed). So cute and funny to see that the wrappings still amuse DS.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 01/05/09 06:58 PM.
    For DS6, an erector set.
    For DD4(5 in 3 weeks!) My Little Pony set.
    For DH and I, Wii Outdoor Challenge grin

B
    BKD Offline
    B
    DS4 - Iggle Piggle, small cricket bat
    DS6 - Megablocks dragons & warriors set
    Both - wooden blocks. I knew this wouldn't be an exciting find under the tree, but I have observed that excitement at the time doesn't at all relate to ongoing use. They both like to make fantastic 'sets', based on blocks but unfortunately using most of their toys at once and taking up entire rooms. Ah well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM