Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #3402 09/14/07 02:43 PM
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My eldest son is in 2nd grade in a private school. We're thinking about moving him to a public school next year and requesting that he skip a grade. The private school doesn't seem amenable to this idea.

I'd be grateful for either advice on how to approach school officials or links to web sites with this information. I've read Genius Denied and have a couple other books, so they are a start.

He hasn't taken any standardized tests but has, for example, completed a 3rd grade math book and is moving through a grade 4 book. I'm saving these. His teacher sends him to the 3rd grade to get books for reading class. I'm trying to figure out how to register him for a standardized test but am haivng trouble. I'd like one that I don't have to score (to remove bias). Advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Val

For us, the best way to advocate for acceleration was with out-of-level testing. Can you ask that the receiving school test him at a level higher than his current grade level? Out-of-level testing is usually done using a test that is 1-2 years ahead of the child.

My other suggestion would be to ask the school to use the Iowa Acceleration Scale to determine his readiness to skip a grade. This is done by you and the academic staff as a team, but does require scored tests to get a complete score.

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks. I'll check into the Iowa Acceleration Scale. I had a quick look at information about it on Hoagies and it seems that he should have achievement test results. He'll take one in French this year (he goes to a French school) but I'm not sure how much weight it will carry. Thus, I think I need to administer one or (ideally) find a place that will administer one for me.

Would schools accept test results from tutoring chains like the Mathnasium? We're going to look into our local Mathnasium soon.

By out-of-level testing, do you mean that they give him their own test, or is there some kind of standardized test (I want to know what I'm asking them before I ask)?

Cheers,

Val

When we had our son privately tested in order to advocate for early entry to first grade, the psychologist used the CTP (Comprehensive Test Program) from ERB http://www.erbtest.org/schools/achievement/ctp4
    She used the end of first grade assessment. At the time he was still 3 months from starting school.

This fall, our school principal had the third grade teacher put together her own assessment of what she would expect a third grader to have mastered by the end of the year. The principal administered it and got to know our son and ultimately agreed that he needed a second acceleration into 3rd grade math.

You could go either with a standardized full scale assessment (preferred if you are looking for a full grade skip, I think) or just assess for a specific subject, if you are looking of subject acceleration, like we were this year.

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks. I needed a link like the one you provided.

We're looking a skipping a full grade; he's already working in a Grade 4 maths book (in 2nd grade) with no difficulties. They send him to the 3rd grade for his weekly reading assignment, too, as he read all the 2nd grade ones last year.

How do schools react to the idea of grade skipping? Are many resistant or is the idea accepted?

Thanks.

Val

D
    D
    Val,
    Many schools that are opposed to grade skipping also oppose subject acceleration. Since your child�s school already provides acceleration in reading and math, they may be more receptive than most to a full grade skip. A full skip usually means less coordination and effort for school personnel.

My daughter skipped from 2nd to 3rd over Thanksgiving break several years ago. She choose the transition time which occurred almost a month after we were told of her eligibility. We have never looked back and I highly recommend it!

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    We'll have to talk to the current school, but they're not really giving him true acceleration in reading, and in math, barely. They send him to 3rd grade to pick his book of the week, but he still has to sit through all the 2nd grade classes. When I showed them a completed 3rd grade math book on the first day of 2nd grade and a 4th grade book that he'd started, they told me he has to do the 2nd grade work "like he has to do any other assignment in life." He and one other kid are allowed to work in the 4th grade book after they've finished the other assignments.

Suggestions welcome. Apart from presenting test results, what is a good way to approach administrators and teachers?

Thanks.

Val

I reccomend talking to a lawyer, and word a calm, detached letter about how, since they aren't actually providing him with an education, that you won't be writing them any actual checks, until the situation is corrected. Putting your thoughts in writing really helps the school see that you are quite serious.
    They are being ridiculous.

Best Wishes,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks Trinity. You're right, and I'm going to try again to get some improvements this year.

We may move to the local schools next year. I talked with the principal of our neighborhood school and she suggested bringing my son for a visit in November. They'll assess him and make a decision about a grade skip. I'll try to get him tested by then. We'll see.

I know that they have to think about test scores and might have concerns that a person skipping a grade would have lower scores. He's already doing the 4th grade work now (we're thinking of skipping grade 3). So if we can allay their concerns, they might be more enthusiastic.

Val

Val - November Testing is excellent! I am so impressed. Sure it's easy for me to sit here an say, from the comfort of my swivel car - sue the Ba$$$$$s! But I would at least look into getting out of your contract, should the November Eval lead to a January welcome into a new grade. Good news is - to the new students he'll just be a "new" student - not a kid who gradeskipped. Even if you can't get out of the contract, I would call the school and ask if they have a grievance process and tell them you would like to enter a formal letter of complaint and DO IT! So many times we settle for a verbal NO. Please don't.

best wishes -
    robin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs