Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Emm #33526 12/28/08 07:11 PM
    M
    M
    "Uncle Tungsten" was great! All of Oliver Sacks is great! smile

minnie

Oh, and I just bought a bio of Abigail Adams that I haven't read yet. She fascinates me!

Kriston
    L
    L
    Hmm.

Oh! Looking at Grinity's post on Bill Bryson reminds me of "A Short History on (or was it of?) Nearly Everything". It's about exactly what the title says, from quarks to evolution to electricity. Great book on science.

"Into Thin Air" is a great book about a tragedy on Mount Everest. It's pretty long and should fulfill almost half of his 1000 reading requirement.

If he can stomach it, "Deadly Feasts" is one of my favorites, about BSE (mad cow disease), how it was discovered, similarities to other diseases, etc.

"Planet Chicken: the shameful story of the bird on your plate" is about how chickens are mistreated as they are raised for their meat and eggs. Also a somewhat gruesome book, and I found this wonderful book in Britain, so you might have trouble getting it if you're in the U.S.

"Longitude" is short but great. It's about the quest to make a clock that can still keep accurate time at sea to help measure longitude. A reward was put up for such a clock in Britain, and John Harrison attempts to make the clock. This book was one of the first nonfiction books I ever read. It was a great introduction to the genre.

I do remember there being a book on the history of salt I enjoyed, but can't recall the exact title.

"Communism" by Richard Pipes is what I'm currently reading right now, it's a brief book on the history of Marxism/social democracy/communism, but the first chapter may be a little advanced and boring for DS13 unless he really enjoys reading about governments and economics.

"Cool It" by Bjorn Lomborg (sp.?) is a very interesting book about global warming and presents a unique point of view that is often lacking in books on the subject. (I may be biased here, as I'm a skeptic.) :P

That's all I can think of for now. I hope this list will help your son. wink

Lina #33549 12/29/08 08:14 AM
    I
    I
    I second A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. I was reading it last night. smile Also the Story of the World by Susan Wise Bauer.

inky #33550 12/29/08 08:37 AM
    If he likes Philosophy, then I highly recommend "Godel, Escher, Bach."

Its highly accessible for most mature readers and its written along the lines of "The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." and Plato's "Socratic Dialogues", but covers much more ground in areas of Math, Art and Music by looking at the patterns in knowledge. Historical figures in each area are introduced and their ideas explored.

I got a copy when I was 15 and was hooked.

http://www.amazon.com/Godel-Escher-Bach-Eternal-Golden/dp/0465026567

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del,_Escher,_Bach

Austin #33554 12/29/08 09:16 AM
    M
    M
    "G,E,B" is excellent! Hofstadter also wrote an interesting book called "Le ton beau de Marot: In praise of the music of language"--also good.

"Longitude" is very good, too! Another Dava Sobel title of potential interest is "Galileo's Daughter".

L
    L
    My son liked "Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story"

OP Offline
    Thanks again for the suggestions! With family in town to enjoy the holidays, I haven't visited this link for awhile. How exciting to come back and read even more suggestions! I told DS about this thread and he was equally appreciative of the suggestions. He will read through each carefully and check to see which ones are available at our local library.

Thanks again - and HAPPY new year!!

smile
    Mom of The Future
    #33978 01/03/09 01:41 PM
    OP Offline
    Actually DS13 read the Diary of Anne Frank about 3-4 years ago and was quite impressed by it. He did an amazing book report on it, IMO. smile He enjoys watching the History Channel, and presumably would enjoy reading well-written (perhaps personal) historical accounts of major events.

Again, this has been a wonderful and informative thread.

smile
    Mom of The Future
    I've always enjoyed biographies of writers and scientists (eg: Isaac Asimov, Thomas Edison).

I think Dickens wrote a lot of non-fiction essays. I seem to remember reading about his travels in america; a short story or short book, can't even remember the title right now, but it was very amusing.
    My ds8 isn't really drawn to non-fiction so I figure we might need some of these ideas in future. Good thread!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM