Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by Lina
    one of them is obsessed with GH and the other on the environment and how we're all going to die from overpopulation.

When I was in high school, GH stood for a soap opera called, 'General Hospital.' What does it stand for these days?

Cool thing about living in 2009 is that there are online communities and blogs on so many interesting topics. Don't be isolated even if you have to cyber-connect. Write down what your top 30 interests are and brainstorm ways to get connected to others who share them, especially locally if possible, and take baby-steps everyday towards that. You can start a new topic about anything you aren't sure how to find on your own.

If anything, a group of gifted kids is going to vary MORE than a group of ND kids. This can be a plus and a minus.

Have fun in Las Vegas. Too bad you can't do a side trip to Reno, where the Davidson Academy is...sigh

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Hope your math teacher can help you out. It might be helpful if your parents got involved as well.

Good luck!

smile

L
    Lina Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Originally Posted by Lina
    one of them is obsessed with GH and the other on the environment and how we're all going to die from overpopulation.

When I was in high school, GH stood for a soap opera called, 'General Hospital.' What does it stand for these days?

Guitar Hero. If you value your eyes, you won't look at the graphics.

Well, it's time to stop putting off that email to my math teacher. I think I'm going to type it up now. :]

L
    Lina Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    [teacher name here],

I hope you're enjoying the holidays, and sorry to bother you with school-related things, but I felt that it was a now-or-never kind of thing.

As you probably already know, I attempted a gradeskip early summer in math. To make things brief, I didn't do too well on the test and was denied a gradeskip. I approached the math chair again through my guidance counselor early second quarter asking if he could reconsider because of my 99 average in math, 100 on the first quarter exam, and just the fact that I finished my work way ahead of my peers and was, frankly, bored. He refused again. Apparently the decision is based solely on the seventh grade final examination I took during the summer. He also said that it was too late in the year for a skip.

Is skipping a math grade really about your knowledge or your ability? As far as I know, you don't skip a grade because you know everything that your teacher is going to teach you, you skip a grade because you learn faster than your classmates and aren't sufficiently challenged by the curriculum, which is the dilemma here.

I'm planning to try one more time. I have a full score on the midterm under my belt, and I'm pretty sure that I have a 99 average so far this quarter, but this isn't the real reason why I think he should reconsider. I took the SAT Reasoning Test earlier this December, and recieved my scores a week ago. Screenshot link.

CR: 710
    Math: 670
    Writing: 630

Of course, only math matters here. The reason I've emailed you is because I want to know whether you think the SAT matters to the math chair. Since it's generally taken by college-bound seniors, a seventh grader taking the SAT is somewhat unusual and you probably don't have a lot of data from kids my age to compare these scores to. So that's why I'm not going directly to the math chair.

Thanks for taking the time to read this email, and thanks in advance for your reply. ^^

Carolina

Meh. Sounds like I'm bragging about my scores. Better not include all that data about the average college-bound senior's scores, or it'll be even worse. :x

Last edited by Lina; 12/30/08 09:36 AM. Reason: removed the weird part. o_o;
    Lina, I like your letter. I would not take out anything, except:
    "Hey, you may not have even heard of the SAT before this"

Because, your letter is beatifully written and from the heart. I think it is very impactual because of this. But that last statement sounds antagonistic even if it isn't meant to. The placement at the end of the letter leaves the last impression to be a bit antagonistic, which deflates the impact of the whole letter.

I sincerely recommend leaving the rest as is. Also, I recommend showing it and discussing it with your parents beforehand. As a parent, I wouldn't want to be blindsighted by a call from school without prior knowlege.

Also, if the letter is effective in getting the administration to revisit the issue, your parents can be prepared to handle that phone call.

I hope your parents are supportive of your efforts. It seems clear that this is very important to you.

Good luck. smile

L
    Lina Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    Lina, I like your letter. I would not take out anything, except:
    "Hey, you may not have even heard of the SAT before this"

Because, your letter is beatifully written and from the heart. I think it is very impactual because of this. But that last statement sounds antagonistic even if it isn't meant to. The placement at the end of the letter leaves the last impression to be a bit antagonistic, which deflates the impact of the whole letter.

Right. Maybe this is why my English teacher never liked me. o-o'"

I talked to my parents about it briefly before, but I'll show them this letter just in case. Thanks for your advice and support, 'neato. I'm itching to send this. shocked

It's not about whether or not your teacher liked you, it's about being persuasive and compelling someone to come over to your line of thinking.

Trust me, Lina, I had plenty of teachers who couldn't STAND me!

I must be creating some sort of legacy because now some of my childrens' teachers can't stand me!

grin

More power to you!!!!!!!!

Oh one more thing. The including the scores is not bragging. You are asking the school to make an exception, place you in a higher math grade based on ability, not age. Normally grade progression is determined by age progression.

Your SAT scores are important and persuasive evidence to support your assertion that it is reasonable for them to do this for you.

Not bragging. smile

L
    Lina Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Dottie,

I lied about my age. Shhhh. Otherwise, you get them after January 5th, since that's when they start mailing out your scores.

I looked it up on Collegeboard. Apparently, "average scores are based upon the most recent SAT scores of all students of a particular graduating class."

L
    Lina Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I'm actually not sure, as my mom did all of the registering, but I think online. I thought that if you had qualifying scores you would automatically be accepted, though?

"Pull my records, that I just read the other night"? o_o

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM