Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #33327 12/22/08 12:47 PM
    OP Offline
    DD got glasses from an ophthalmolgist at the beginning of the school year. Since then, (see Behavioral Optometrist thread) she has worn them faithfully, even asking for them when she does close work (reading, art, etc.)

We had a follow-up with Expensive Optometrist who said glasses did not help. Do not use them.

We tried a week at school without and her letter reversals and writing samples were much much worse!

I say that since dd likes to wear them and they seem to help, she should continue to wear them...are we doing more harm? The Optometrist was "noncommital" on that answer.

I think I should allow her to wear them when she asks until we see the new Optometrist. What do you BTDT folks think??

Why would they do more harm?

I'm soooo not an expert, but it seems to me that if she does better with them than without, you should keep using them.

I'm also thinking that the optometrist doesn't know everything. Maybe he's missing something that the glasses *are* helping with.

I'm just talking out of my hat though...

Kriston
    I think you should trust your gut. There is a certain lens that can cause harm if it is innappropriately prescribed but I don't think it's common to have that.

It's my understanding that each time you get a new prescription, yours eyes get used to the "assistance", so theoretically, you are weakening your eyes a bit each time you go up.

But, I would think that would only be an arguement for upping prescription more often AND I don't even know if the above statement is true anyway.

OP Offline
    DD is 7. We are going for an actual 3rd opinion! She got the prescription from an Ophthalmologist, then went to a behavioral optometrist who nixed them.

We didn't like the Optometrist because he was outrageously expensive and his fees were always a "surprise". We also didn't care for his interaction with dd. So, we found someone else that she will see at the end of the month...Hope 3rd time is a charm!!

I can't really experiment with her glasses as I have significant vision issues and do not see well myself!

Seems to me that even with all the technology available that vision is still a "Stab in the dark".

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations