Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 455 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Grinity #3253 08/27/07 09:59 AM
    D
    D
    Hi Connersdad.

We did use academically talented high school students as math tutors for our kids when they were younger. We weren�t paying that much (twice the current babysitting rate), so we didn�t critique the quality of instruction too harshly, although I do believe the first tutor was average and the second one was extremely good. Our kids enjoyed spending time with a teenager and working beyond grade level in math. We were pleased that the tutors were such exceptional role models and believe some of their positive traits were adopted by our kids.

delbows #3282 08/28/07 12:29 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    That is a great idea about the talented high school students. I can check with some of the highschool kids in our neighborhood. I'm also going to contact one of the Davidson Fellowship winner's mother. I just found out she is a friend of my Aunt. They don't live near us but I'm sure she will have some good advice.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. As I said he'll take the Wiat tomorrow. He had his first day of kindergarten yesterday where they did some type of valuation but I have not heard what yet. I'll post how he did on the Wiat and what happens after our first conference witht he school.

Z
    Z
    Good luck on the WIAT II tomorrow. We just took it less than two weeks ago and I mentioned some things to consider in my earlier post today re: testing now or later for 4 year old.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    FYI to everyone. My son did well on the WIAT. I don't have the final scores but the tester said he definitely did what he needed to do to meet the YS programs requirements. In addition we just got a call today from the Charter School for the Gifted he was on the wait list for. He starts tomorrow. I'll post my experiences.

Dottie #3307 08/29/07 01:51 PM
    D
    D
    Wonderful news!

delbows #3313 08/30/07 05:26 AM
    So glad, Conner's Dad!
    This is the school he originally didn't lottory into? If so, what a relief! Terrific that your district has such! Here's hoping for smooth sailing. ((glasses clinking))
    Keep us posted ((big smile))
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #3395 09/12/07 08:16 AM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Here's a quick update. The school is definitely a large step up from public school and it is the one he was in the lottery for. The kids are receiving a more advanced curriculum. The teacher ratio is great (8-1) and it's so nice that he is in a place that acknowledges that gifted kids do exist and require special education.

They stress reading which is good since that is where he is probably weakest but the math might be a little simple for him. I'm thinking the teacher is still evaluating what she has and will customize as needed. We do like the teacher and feel confident in her ability.

I'll add more info about the school as the year progresses and will post my thoughts on the DYS when and if he is accepted.

((Happy Dance))
    Great News ConnorsDad!
    I have a good feeling here.
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)