Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Looks grim
    frown
    The label of gifted, as prized to some parents as a "My Child Is an Honor Student" bumper sticker, is about to be dropped by the Montgomery County school system.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/15/AR2008121503114.html
    Georgian Forest is one of two Montgomery schools that have quietly ditched gifted identification as an experiment. No one at that school or at Burning Tree Elementary in Bethesda is labeled gifted. Principals and teachers say they don't miss it.
    What about the parents and gifted students?

P
    P
    I don't mind. As long as my child is receiving an education appropriate to his abilities, I don't care what name they use. Also, being gifted is indeed a gift, kids didn't have to work for it, it's not an achievement. Whereas "honor student" is an achievement that kids need to work to get, and anyone (in theory) can strive to be an honor student. In this sense I totally agree that honor students, but not simply being gifted, should get recognition (oh well, in the form of a sticker).

This is what it is about, right from the horse's mouth.

"It can set up a kind of have and have-not atmosphere at your school, and we don't have that here," said Aara Davis, principal of Georgian Forest Elementary School in Silver Spring.

I don't think its about egalitarianism, though.

I rereading the article, it appears the GT program was oversold and oversubscribed.

Most school districts could just do grade skips rather than pullouts or special programs. It would save a lot of money, too.

Last edited by Austin; 12/16/08 01:52 PM.
    P
    P
    Our school district also does not have gifted program, it does not label anyone as gifted. This is fine as long as the kids all receive the academic challenges that they deserve. It's not the case at the present moment. The school district is going to implement "individualized instructions", we will see how it goes. I'm not very optimistic, though.

I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    The "More" Child Blog has the response from the Board of Education about the article:

http://themorechild.wordpress.com/2008/12/16/board-of-education-issues-statement-in-response-to-washington-post-story-%e2%80%98montgomery-erasing-gifted-label%e2%80%99/

It is true that among the options that will be considered is eliminating labeling in favor of a services-based model. In this model, students are still screened for their readiness for advanced work and parents are provided the recommendations from the screening so that they are fully informed of their children�s readiness to excel at a higher level. Students are then provided advanced work based on the results of the screening process, consultation with parents, and the ongoing assessment of students� needs.

If it's about eliminating labeling in favor of a services-based model, are they going to experiment with getting rid of the special needs label too? I doubt it and there would probably be a huge outcry (and rightly so) if that happened. I worry that this is a step towards eliminating and/or reducing what are already limited services for gifted.

It is true that among the options that will be considered is eliminating labeling in favor of a services-based model. In this model, students are still screened for their readiness for advanced work and parents are provided the recommendations from the screening so that they are fully informed of their children�s readiness to excel at a higher level. Students are then provided advanced work based on the results of the screening process, consultation with parents, and the ongoing assessment of students� needs.

This sounds good, in theory, and is exactly how I would run all schools if I were 'in charge' of this sort of thing. I would also provide several different 'pace options' for each subject in each level.

The next step would be to try to 'uncouple' various subjects, so that a kid who is ready for Algebra, but not developmentally ready to memorize their times tables can spend some time in Algebra 1 and some time in a 'memorization skills' class that focuses on math facts. Same with Reading/writing/handwritting and Spelling. That way everyone could be challenged on all fronts, and not only would the gifted lable wither away, but so would most of the 2E lables, except for needed accomidations.

Then I would make the whole process totally opaque, so that an interested parent could have their child do an online learning session that confirms that the child is well placed. A version of the tests that the teachers use to assess the child's level would be availible online.

Yum, Yum, Yum

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by inky
    The "More" Child Blog has the response from the Board of Education about the article:

http://themorechild.wordpress.com/2008/12/16/board-of-education-issues-statement-in-response-to-washington-post-story-%e2%80%98montgomery-erasing-gifted-label%e2%80%99/

It is true that among the options that will be considered is eliminating labeling in favor of a services-based model. In this model, students are still screened for their readiness for advanced work and parents are provided the recommendations from the screening so that they are fully informed of their children’s readiness to excel at a higher level. Students are then provided advanced work based on the results of the screening process, consultation with parents, and the ongoing assessment of students’ needs.

If it's about eliminating labeling in favor of a services-based model, are they going to experiment with getting rid of the special needs label too? I doubt it and there would probably be a huge outcry (and rightly so) if that happened. I worry that this is a step towards eliminating and/or reducing what are already limited services for gifted.

My thoughts exactly!

Labels are generally necessary in a bureacracy to get services. Do I love them? No. But they exist for a reason. Eliminate labels and you usually lose services.

I am suspicious and if I were in this school system, I would be making some noise about it.

Kriston
    Good to know. Thanks, MON. smile

I guess I just wouldn't want this to become a trend. Not yet. In a perfect world, labels wouldn't be necessary and all children would be taught what they're ready for precisely when they're ready for it.

But we don't live in anything close to a perfect world, especially not for GT children... frown

Kriston
    A similar thing is happening in our district with the junior high school, where they are doing away with separating kids for honors courses. Everybody can take the advanced courses and, from what I hear, the classes are watered down because kids are struggling with them that would learn better in a more normally-paced class. Labels are unfortunately sometimes necessary, especially in big school districts. It's hard to get anything done outside of the norm without a special ed label. If Montgomery is anti-label and pro-individual needs, why continue to label and group kids on the basis of their chronological age? Why not have kids grouped according to ability for each subject regardless of age, including gym? I doubt that Montgomery County will able to follow the one-room school model wink

[/quote]This sounds good, in theory, and is exactly how I would run all schools if I were 'in charge' of this sort of thing. I would also provide several different 'pace options' for each subject in each level.

The next step would be to try to 'uncouple' various subjects, so that a kid who is ready for Algebra, but not developmentally ready to memorize their times tables can spend some time in Algebra 1 and some time in a 'memorization skills' class that focuses on math facts. Same with Reading/writing/handwritting and Spelling. That way everyone could be challenged on all fronts, and not only would the gifted lable wither away, but so would most of the 2E lables, except for needed accomidations.

Then I would make the whole process totally opaque, so that an interested parent could have their child do an online learning session that confirms that the child is well placed. A version of the tests that the teachers use to assess the child's level would be availible online.

Grinity[/quote]

This sounds wonderful ideal for every child. Let me know when you're running for person 'in charge' - I'll be sure to vote for you laugh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM