Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    UPDATE
    Talked to HS Principal. She is absolutely new to a situation like that, never had any middle schoolers take courses at her HS. Promised to check on credits and said she will contact our Principal.
    Since she told me that Bio class is in fourth period and I was not sure what class Ghost has at that time, I stopped at his school to request a copy of his schedule. Principal that we spoke to yesterday was in the office, together with VP, a former Science teacher. They asked me to come and talk to him. He started persuading me gently that 7th grade science curriclum is not the one to skip. Apparently it introduces all science disciplines, lies foundations for chemistry and physics. I know, I looked through the textbook yesterday :-)
    Again I repeated my worry that Ghost is way ahead of his classmates, both in his knowledge as well as logical thinking - how I hate saying things like that to people who obviously have no clue about gifted education - and that I worry that his growth will be halted if he is not able to move ahead. They disagreed,
    but did not say no to whatever we are going to decide.
    They asked if Ghost thinks that this class will be way easy and boring for him.. I answered honestly that he never tells me that
    classes are boring - he is kind of happy actually that he does not have to do much in order to get an A. The only thing he will complain about is a boring teacher.
    I was not furious. Ghost really likes and kind of adores VP, I liked them both because they try to listen and did let me introduce tons of new ideas to the school within the last two years. My kids really like the school, they have one hour of Spanish every day and they are becoming quite good at it, they are learning Mandarin. Ghost is greately accomodated in Math.
    So I was not furious, but dissapointed. Their message was clear - let him be a kid, he still has time to learn all of it later, don't push him so hard...
    Met with H for lunch. We agreed that we will let him stay in 7th grade science but will request an individual research assignment
    for each unit they are going trough (like Biology, Botany, Genetics etc.) Of course Ghost will have to OK that.
    Next week we are meeting with an IB coordinator. She is also a coordinator for an ELP program at the same HS. We will see if there are any chances of Ghost getting into an ELP program for 8th grade. There were no chances for 7th, as he is out of district, but maybe dynamics of 8th grade admissions are different.
    Feeling a little down. On top of it I have a deposition in one hour at the hospital, and they generally last forever.
    Ania

Ania -
    It is so hard to ever know. A full daily hour of Spanish, good Math and Mandarin sound good. The fact that he is happy is good. You aren't seeing any signs of perfectionism in Ghost is good.

But LOL - I will be so dissapointed if you let him off the hook for "special in depth projects." I always have the idea that you have done so well with clearly communicating that he is expected to work hard at academics, at least some of the time.

I think that I would encourage you to lay out the science plan, and then see how he feels about the "extra" assignments, and if he balks at the "extra" work, raise one eyebrow while you bore into his eyes, and tell him that Trinity's son had to be gradeskipped because he didn't want to do any "extra" work, and now he has an hour of homework every night at age 11 in 7th grade! Work beyond what the agemates are doing isn't "extra" for our boys. They are expected to put in proper effort no matter what the sign on the door says, no matter the ability of the kid sitting next to him.

DS11 knows in his heart that he needs to be with kids 1 to 2 years older in order to be "just like everyone else" but he sometimes looks back with nostalgia at long days in school doing nothing but reading in his desk. DS11 does remember that being asked "too easy" questions make him very nervous, always looking for the trick part of the question that they couldn't possibly be asking.

We weigh every decision so carefully, but the good news is that we only have to "be in the ballpark," not perfect. I have a feeling that both boys are going to have very good years this year!

Smiles,
    Trin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    The problem has resurfaced.
    LA teacher has approached me again yesterday and said that she is talking to Principal re: my DD and her skip to 6th grade now, mid year.
    She says DD does not belong with 5th graders, she is fully immersed in 6th grade class and is actually annoyed at having to do some projects with her 5th grade classmates.
    And there are field trips. 6th graders are taking a full day LA field trip this week, and my daughter is not going since she is "technically" a 5th grader. Same goes for essay assignments on the computer. DD has tough time accessing hers at home since she is registered as a 5th grader and her assignments are in 6th grade "slots".
    So back to emotional roller coaster again.
    While clearly she is not in the same "ball park" as her older brother, her class is at a very, very low level and I think this is part of the reason she "looks like a genius" compared to them.
    DD wants to skip, badly. I am beginning to think it might be actually a good think for her to do (if you remember, I was pretty much against it).I am beginning to understan what Dottie, I think , said. That it might be a good self esteem booster for DD, who is constantly overshadowed by Ghost.
    She is very mature emotionally and socially, looks though like a feather.
    Wil keep you updated.

((Ania))
    If you look at the Ruf Data, many many children will benifit from a single grade skip. My DS hated being subject accelerated, compared to a full skip - too much dancing around.

I would run the Iowa Acceleration Scale Manual numbers just to be sure she is at least a "good" or "moderate" candidate for acceleration.

It is so easy for us to underestimate our MG kids. But look at how many of us are "only" MG, and it made a big difference!

((hugs))
    Trinity

Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ok, here is a little update...

5th grade teachers met with P and V-P last Wednesday. From what I understand, there were no objections. We are scheduled to meet with P tomorrow A.M.
    DD friend and parents met with P last Friday. After the meeting friend told D that she is skipping to 6th when this quater is over. On the way back home from school my D looked MAJORLY depressed. I asked what is going on, she said "nothing". I asked
    if everything went well that day, she answered "yes". Then I got a hinch and asked if she worries about skiping, and then it all started....
    DD does not want to skip ! She said that initially she has been all for it because it seemed prestigious and she wanted to be closer to 6th grade girls. Now she started thinking (and listening to us talk) about other consequences and she wants to stay where she is. Looks like she has really made up her mind. At this point we are not going to ask for grade skip any more. I wonder what expression I am going to see on P face tomorrow???

Ania -
    Can she do it as a trial? perhaps 6 weeks to see if she likes it?

Wow! That's an eye opener.

((shrug))
    Trin

Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I think part of it could be atributed to last minute jitters.
    The reasons we are all discussing :
    -she is not physically mature
    -she loves her International Studies teacher and skipping now would mean only few more months with her, as 7th grade does not have IS. She learns tons in that class, knowledge usually not offered in US schools at this level.
    -she fears she will loose her edge in academic competitions, and we do a lot of those.
    -both 5th and 6th grade science are very hands on and she is beginning to get really into it. She loves hands on aspect of that class.

As for trying it for a few weeks, well, she is already taking 2 classes a day with 6th graders (LA and Math), they are also mixed for Spanish. My understanding is she will continue to be accelerated, but will know more tomorrow:-)

Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi my internet family:
    I come home fom the meeting and the first thing to do is to log onto this site :-)

It was just VP, P injured her back and is on some strong muscle relaxants. He totally agreed with us that she has to be on board for the skip, otherwise it is pointless. So we are basically saying "No, thanx for the offer". She can still change her mind as the skip would not happen until mid. January or so, but I don't think she will.
    As we entered the school today, she said "remember, if they make me skip, I am going back to X (private school she used to attend)"
    I'm still concerned by her teacher's comments at the beginning of the year, about her wasting time though
    This has been adressed Dottie. She is currently taking highest level 6th grade LA (school does group according to ability) and highest level 6th grade math. In math they are practically done with 6th grade curriculum and are moving into pre-alg.

I would maybe take her out for some one-on-one shopping, dinner or ice cream (yum!) and probe her further before making any decisions.
    We did that over the weekend, both with me (christmas concert) and with dad (skiing). All she talked about was how she did not want to be skipped.

As for the middle school, it is in the same biulding that she is curretly in and yes, they try to do informal "ability grouping". The big word here is TRY. But things to change significantly from year to year at this school. From what I sensed at today's meeting, they are going to hire more part time math teachers (I have a hunch that the current math teacher is not leaving).
    If she does not skip, she will be still doing middle school math next year, most likely Algebra. What I see dark as far as aceleration is LA. She is , like I have said, doing highest level 6th grade work and still excells. Going to 7th grade LA next year is not such a great idea (see my other posts). I think that she will be better off staying in 6th and doing some individual studying.

[quote=Ania-she loves her International Studies teacher and skipping now would mean only few more months with her, as 7th grade does not have IS. She learns tons in that class, knowledge usually not offered in US schools at this level.
    -both 5th and 6th grade science are very hands on and she is beginning to get really into it. She loves hands on aspect of that class.
    she is already taking 2 classes a day with 6th graders (LA and Math), they are also mixed for Spanish. [/quote]

Hi Ania,
    That's good that the school is open to her staying were she is for now. I highlighted the areas above which I feel are so important to her keeping what she has. Now I'm trying to remember why the skip was looked for in the first place. Certianly she knows that she is being taken seriously as a learner, so perhaps being offered the skip and deciding to stay where she is is the best possible world for her, at this time.

Roger's Re-forming gifted education is wonderful for taking apart all of the possible options and trying to get a group of options that work for the individual child. One good teacher can make all of the difference! Sounds like dd has a wonderful program for this year. Celebrate, and then let us know what's on tap for next year!

Smiles,
    Trinity

Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    You are right Trin that her needs are being met right now. The idea of skipping came around because:
    -scheduling for next ear would be much, much easier
    -mom of the other girl was really pursuing it
    -a well meaning LA teacher sees her as the brightest star in her class.
    By the way, that LA teacher was shocked when I told her today.She told my D right there, on the spot "you are going to be very bored next year young lady", to which D replied "that's OK"
    I have a strong feeling right now as to why D does not want to skip. Ghost is a school star, best scholar, SB officer, NJHS member, tutors kids, everybody knows his name kind of kid. SHE wants to achieve the same! She probably feels that is she skips now she will not be a leader any more!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM