Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 356 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    M
    M
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I, too, give in to the "just let me finish this level or it won't save" like Dazed&Confused. Similarly, the kids like to watch each other so it just increases the amount of time they both spend staring at the box. My biggest regret is the Star Wars game (or any game with a multitude of levels). DS was a delight with the Wii before that game. It was fun watching him play tennis, box, fish (Wii Play game), or both kids play Mario Cart. Once we bought that particular game (this would apply to any game with levels), all the fun the Wii gave us has disappeared. DS used to love regular Legos and other pursuits but will now just whine for the Wii (and that darned Star Wars game). I will try the poker chip approach, particularly since it gives them something "tangible." JBDad, are you sure you can't invent a timer for the Wii that shuts down in the alotted time or when the level is complete? That would be a major moneymaker. I also must state that DS was my honest kid who would set the timer on the computer and self-monitor his playing (B4Wii - before Wii). He would ask for additional time but overall, was well-behaved. Alas, that child is long gone... OTOH, he loved the Endless Ocean game and solved it quickly. It is truly a great educational game if you child has a Jacques Cousteau passion for the ocean. If you venture into purchasing Nintendo items, pls be cautious about the games you get and strict about the time limits. HTH and I'll quietly retreat from anymore Wii "advice."

Last edited by momx2; 12/07/08 08:30 AM.
    #32287 12/07/08 09:05 AM
    Originally Posted by momx2
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I, too, give in to the "just let me finish this level or it won't save

Ummm........the only person in my house who says this is..........me. blush

incogneato #32288 12/07/08 09:56 AM
    S
    S
    What's the difference betweeen Nintendo DS and Nintendo DS Lite? We're looking and thinking. Someone made a good point about this being a social thing. Pud doesn't always have something he can talk about with other kids. Not a sole reason to buy it but not a bad thing either.

jojo #32289 12/07/08 10:22 AM
    Originally Posted by jojo
    Thanks KM. It's a bit of a worry that he's suggested that he actually gives ME the Wii thing for Xmas (so that the girls don't fight over it). What on earth does he think I'll do with it??? Hrmph (!)

Don't you love it when they (our DH) pull that one. LOL I think my DH knows not to try that with me. If he wants it than buy it for himself. He still likes to argue what a great item it would be for the whole family. Our DD is not old enough to play the wii, but when she does I am Soooo stealing Kriston's and JBdad's ideas. I can't think of a better use for the poker chips. I really need to pass that idea off to my BF and her 13 year old who is obessed with the computer.

incogneato #32290 12/07/08 10:25 AM
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    Originally Posted by momx2
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I, too, give in to the "just let me finish this level or it won't save

Ummm........the only person in my house who says this is..........me. blush

We all say this, but with me it's "I'm just about to fininsh this really cool post, just give me 5 more minutes...."

We do have timers in every room of the house.

Smiles,
    Grin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #32293 12/07/08 11:19 AM
    OH man Grinity...yes you hit the nail on the head!!!! blush

momx2 - I'm glad you shared your thoughts. I talked to a gaming friend of mine about the inability to save where you are in Star WArs games unless you're at the end of a level. He said it is to make it more competitive. Kids would just keep saving incrementally in case they made a mistake and wouldn't have to back up too far to continue.

Our other big issue is that the kids play some freebie games like Tribal Trouble and the Tribe, which they've learned a lot from BTW, but you can't save them. So DS8, for ex:, will want to put the Mac to sleep so he can continue the next day but that means no one else can use the computer in the mean time. SO that means lots of crying from DS5. We have two users on that computer so for some things, you can click over to the other user and play there w/out interrupted what the other did but sometimes you can't do that.

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 12/07/08 11:23 AM.
    Dottie #32298 12/07/08 03:08 PM
    The Lite does light up (you're right Dottie!), but the main problem was a weight issue. The old Nintendo DS is called the "heavy" version and I don't believe it is even sold anymore. People were really unhappy with it's bulk apparently so they came up with the "lite" version which is what they are currently selling. smile

Dottie #32321 12/07/08 08:49 PM
    I have to pipe in with our Lego Star Wars experience. I just pretty much let everyone (me, DH, and DS4) have at it gangbusters until we completed it (except the evil timed minikit challenge levels). This seemed to have the effect of making a kid who got caught smoking smoke an entire pack. In fact, today, I was busy wrapping presents and getting ready for an out-of-town party, and DS kept begging me to play a game with him. I said, can't you play wii or the computer or something? Nope, he only wanted card games or board games. So in our house, lego star wars has driven the family to board games!

Unfortunately, at the party, DS4 was given his first webkinz....

st pauli girl #32340 12/08/08 09:34 AM
    L
    L
    My son has a Wii, a Playstation 2 and 3, a DS and an XBox. As a homeschooled only child at home in a neighborhood with no children, he has more time to play video games than most kids so he is like the video game expert in his little group of friends. His friends sometimes call him for game advice.

He doesn't play the Wii as much as he does the PS2 and 3 and the DS, but he sometimes plays Wii Fit and I think it helps with balance and coordination. He really likes playing Rock Band 2 but he has the PS3 version. His friends enjoy playing this with him.

Video games have piqued his interest in so many areas that I have a hard time seeing them as being a bad thing that should be limited to a few hours a week. Playing Ace Attorney games piqued his interest in our legal system and led to reading more of his sister's introduction to law textbook, Trauma Center Under the Knife 2 for the DS piqued more of an interest in medical terminology and how the human body works, simulation games, especially the Sims, piqued an interest in sociology and psychology and led to reading psychology and sociology textbooks, Empire Earth and Age of Empires and Civilization and similar games piqued more of an interest in history and the intereactive nature of some of these games led to much more learning, not less. I think playing these games motivated him to read more than he otherwise would have. My Spanish Coach for the DS is helping him learn Spanish, Harvest Moon piqued an interest in gardening, Crosswords for the DS is helping with writing letters quickly and legibly, My SAT Coach for the DS has piqued his interest in taking tests and provided practice in filling in those bubbles when coloring in the lines isn't exactly his forte. RPG games have piqued his interest in "leveling up" in all things except shoe tying.

Lori H. #32346 12/08/08 11:18 AM
    LOL! I think you are definately on to something here! I've found the same with DD's, it's all about the game, not so much the system.

Unfortunately I did get them Mario Super Smash Brothers for X-Mas. I'm not sure what higher learning aspect can be gleaned from this one!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM