Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jenjunpr), 412 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    Aliza Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Unfortunately, I don't know how to add another post to my original one...how funny. So, sorry that I had to start a new thread. Tyler is involved in all he can be at our school. Last year was quite bad with the bullying. A girl shoved his head into the water fountain while drinking and broke his 2 perm. front teeth. What an ordeal that was. I was just sick about it. I am determined to find people like us who just want to fit in. His Stanford-Binet overall was 159 and I guess that's pretty good. He just can't relate. Could someone tell me what the Davidson group could offer? Since we are in NE Ohio and they are in Reno, NV - how will that help? Any/all info. appreciated. Thanks again
    Aliza

Hi Aliza,
    I'll answer your Davidson YSP questions here -
    Of course what it mostly is is parents trying to be sounding boards and voice of reason for eachother - think of this place times 25.

But there are other benifits - follow this link
    http://www.ditdservices.org/Articles.aspx?ArticleID=147&NavID=0_0
    and see which specific part you are looking for more info on. But I'll tell you one thing - my son "hit it off" with some similar aged boys who "somewhat" close by, and now they are acutal friends - that is amazing. I would never have found them without the YSP!

T

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    Hi Aliza,

I think the YSP has been very helpful to my family in a number of ways:
    1. Family Counselors to help advise on IEPs, emotional concerns, resources, and just a supportive sounding board, with my child's best interests in mind and not judgemental (or resentful of my kids being super-smart). I have found that getting advice on curricula from DITD is influential with our gifted program which actually adopted several of their recommendations.
    2. On line colloquia/seminars with experts for both the parents and the YS (I participated in one with Miraca Gross--practically the mother of profoundly gifted kid research! from Australia.
    3. Gatherings--I know Ohio has a community of YSs that gets together informally, and there is the one summer Gathering that YS's from all over the country go to meet each other, participate in classes, etc.
    4. Online community for me. This has been very important to me. Sometimes you feel completely alone--that no one else you know faces the same issues you have with your child or children. Friends and family don't get it. But everyone here is so supportive, several have the same experiences. It's so nice. As my kids get older, they'll participate more in the online community to "meet" kids with similar interests.
    5. Financial assistance
    6. Info. Lots of it. I love looking up websites and finding out about programs when I hear about them from DITD.

Those are just some I could think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are many more benefits, but I have to start my painting project!

We just became YSP members, and I'm already so glad we decided to fill out that application form. The site has so much information, and I'm already in the process of contacting other YSP parents in our area to see if they want to get together sometime. We just had our introductory phone call with a YSP Family Consultant, and it's just great to have that kind of access to experienced people in the field.

To reiterate, filling out that YSP application form was prolly one of the best steps I took for my son and myself to help us on our PG journey. smile

Congratulations KaT! See you on pgparent's list!
    Love and More Love,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Yeah, I can't wait till the YS annual gathering next year smile

Dottie, my YS son is 7 years old -- quite stubborn, headstrong, very friendly, loving, can be sensitive, loves video games, likes to read almanacs and is now going through the Star Wars book collection. He loves to hang out with his friends, discuss with me how certain things like Jello has a higher viscosity than water, he can also be very argumentative (especially when he's trying to weasel out of doing some chores or trying to get out of trouble or trying to convince me why he should have a certain game). We have long dinners together, not sure because if he eats slow or because he talks more than he eats while we're at the table - possibly the latter.

He's just a little boy I adore dearly more than words can say. smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM