Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    Though DS13 has never had an IQ test, it has been suggested to us that he is HG-PG. He took the PLUS test through CTY when in 5th grade, and scored very well, and recently took the ACT test which scores would allow us to apply for DYS. He also shows other classic signs of LOG 3+, among other things.

Anyway, at this point, we think we should probably just bite the bullet and get him tested. My understanding is that if we wait too long (have we already waited too long?) that he'll hit ceilings and it will be difficult to get an accurate score.

I would like as much information as possible to help empower us so that we can continue to advocate for him in an effective manner.

So, which IQ test is best? Also, what exactly does an IQ test measure? My understanding is that it is more about inherent ability rather than accumulated knowledge. Is that correct? Also, I have received a few recommendations, but am wondering what types of questions I need to ask the tester in advance to insure that the tester would be the best one for DS. Also, how are the tests administered? I assume they are more than multiple choice, am I right? What is a fair price to pay for IQ testing? Any chance I can get the school district to pay for it? If so, how?

Sorry about all the questions - and thanks very much in advance for your answers!!

smile
    Mom of The Future
    RJH Offline
    See my simular question here: http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/31313/Testing_for_DD#Post31313

I had luck calling a local university.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by CFK
    Unless you are looking at a specific program that requires an IQ test score, I wouldn't bother. By age 13, achievement scores (ACT, SAT) speak much louder than IQ.

Isn't it necessary to have an IQ test to apply for DYS? I haven't read through all of the information, but my understanding is that it is necessary..?

Thanks!

smile
    Mom of The Future
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Good questions MOTF! My personal experience with IQ testing only goes up through age 10, but I am "well read". That said, for DYS purposes you absolutely want either the WISC-IV or the SB-5, and given your son's "weaker" (relative) math, my guess is he'd be better off with the WISC-IV.

Hmmm...interestingly, he actually scored higher in math on the PLUS (CTY when he was in 5th grade) than in English. However, that may have been a fluke? confused All scores were quite high. In 2nd, he scored 99th percentile on the CoGat in English and 97th in Math. That seemed like a more accurate assessment. Given his one low subtest score in Math on the ACT, would he do better on an IQ exam (either)if he were to be given exposure to the math information that it appears he simply hasn't been exposed to in the past?

But...here is where his challenge lies. To get 19's, he could very well have to answer most, if not all questions in some areas. This hurts him, because it gives him no chance for "stupid mistakes". The younger the child, the more "stupid mistake margin" exists.

Hmmm...not sure if we want to give up our "stupid mistake" margin! crazy Unfortunately, DS doesn't have the more common "perfectionist" gene that tends to come with the gifted. DD has it, but not DS. A couple of years ago, his teacher, and award winning Math Olympiad coach, commented that DS may be the "smartest" kid in all areas in his class (self-contained gifted classroom) - but that he makes silly mistakes - like forgetting to carry. Mr. Teacher told us recently that DS would be the perfect part of a math team - because DS could figure out what needs to be done conceptually, and then allow the other students to do the actual work. blush Not exactly sure what to do about that!!

Hopefully someone with 10+ testing experience can chime in with first hand thoughts.

I'd love to hear from them too! smile

The SB-5 goes up through adulthood, and therefore might have a higher relative ceiling, but again, some believe it favors spatial/math kids over the more verbal ones, although this is far from proven, and some people have had unexpected results with one test over another.

I would love to hear more people's take on this. DS doesn't love math, but still does well overall. Would his one low subtest score on the ACT (remembering the other two much higher scores) be enough to keep away from this test? Of course, you are right in that he much prefers and tends to test even higher in Language Arts subjects. crazy

Thanks for all of your insight and advice! I truly appreciate it!! And, the more insight and advice you (or anyone else has/)have, the more I'd be willing to listen!

smile
    Mom of The Future
    acs Offline
    DS took IQ tests at 9 and 10 years of age. His scores were high but not quite DYS level. His ACT scores at 12 were well over the DYS cut-off. I have taken this to mean that his SB5 and WISC 4 were affected by his age and that he hit a lot of ceilings (which it looks like he did from the subscores). I really would not trust IQ scores in HG+ kids after 9.

I would suggest you apply to DYS with the scores you have and portfolio items. I suspect the IQ scores he could get now would be inaccurate and disappointing. If you apply to DYS and they ask for more information, then check with them to see if they even want IQ testing or something else. Given to cost of IQ testing, I think you should save you money.

The other options would to be to take the SAT, which would give a second set of scores to DYS and potentially show consistancy (which is, I believe, something they are looking for).

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent