Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 92 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #3126 08/21/07 07:58 AM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    Gosh! I feel like I've had amnesia. Really this summer I've tried my best to avoid "gifted" and "ld" and "2E" and just tried my best to give Rite and Mite a good family oriented summer. Every now and then I pop in here to see what's going and and feel lost in the conversations. It's overwhelming me again.
    sigh. Time to take on the task.

Anyhow, I just found out yesterday that Mite's "gifted cluster" 4th grade PS class has 39 students and 1 teacher.

GASP >8^{

Now I'm sooooooooo worried about him. He'll get lost in all that over-stimulation. While he will have a 1:1 para during the academic parts of his days, he's still going to be mincemeat in that crowd.

Yes I know Trin...homeschool homeschool homeschool. I'm trying to get that figured out. I just find that so overwhelming, too.

Anyhow, time to wade through the threads and re-connect with the community!!!

:^)

Willa Gayle
    D
    D
    Is there even enough room for 39 children and seats in the classroom?

Willi -
    Good for you for "taking the summer off!"
    and Welcome Back. ((hugs))

I don't know if Mite will do well, (perhaps there is a best friend there just waiting to be found - at least there are enough to choose from!) or do poorly - and neither do you.

You've worked hard to get those accomdiations in place. I do suggest that you call the school and talk to "someone" so that your concerns will be noted. I know that it seems obvious to you and us, but it's worth being sure that they see that there could be a potential problem. I reccomend being as postive as posible and giving things sometime. Also, look into what is worrying you about the homeschooling. I've only done some occasional afterschooling, but try out some email lists and post here about what your worries are, or journal, so that if it comes to that, well, you'll be ready.

I have heard a few moms of very gifted kids being happy with K12 as an "emergency out of the box" activity. And I always drool at the writeguide.com ...see if you can arrange for your DH to spend some time observing in the classroom, just to check up on things - and build support for homeschooling if it becomes nescessary.

Love and More Love,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Holy Cow! That's a lot of kids with just one teacher! Doesn't the school have a policy in place that specifies a student/teacher ratio? Seems like there ought to at the very least be an aide present the whole day, if not a requirement to split the class into two separate classes.

Good to see you back, Willa! Hope you are catching up on everything!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent