Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Jool
    Originally Posted by AmyEJ
    Jeni,

If your son's scores qualify him for DYS then that means he's probably testing at least 3 grades ahead in achievment (likely much more, right?). That would be like asking an average 5th grader to accept being in a 2nd grade math or reading class. I don't understand how a school can ignore that or think that's ok, though I know that they do. You couldn't satisfy a 5th grader in a 2nd grade class by giving a few extra projects.

I think it depends on the kid and the teacher. My DS6 (DYS) has a second grade teacher who is very big on creative writing (e.g., making illustrated books, keeping a journal, etc.) -- Unlike other subjects, there is no limit on the challenge-level of creative writing - kids can stretch themselves as far as they want to go as long as the teacher encourages it. *I* would probably benefit from being in that class for the writing part grin Now with reading, the material is way under his level, but he's still learning the content (e.g., the reading materials are now discussing different world cultures). OTOH, he is woefully underchallenged in math (working on that...). So even with only 1 grade skip, he really only needs more math challenge to be engaged in his learning. If he could be pulled out for online learning or tutoring, I'd be pretty happy with how the year is going...

Yes, Jool, I completely get that. My friend's DD had a teacher who was big on creative writing too and that prevented boredom in her 1st grade year. And how wonderful that your DS is having a mostly good experience this year. I didn't mean to make too general of a statement; thanks for pointing that out. I suppose I was trying to give support for Jeni's situation and advocacy need more than I was trying to talk about all kids in general. I guess I should clarify that I realize not everyone is the same. I'm sorry!

What I meant, and what I didn't say very well, is that extra projects here and there alone, without acceleration, likely would not satisfy someone who already knows the material and has mastered the concepts in the main subjects of math and reading(I agree there are exceptions). And I guess what I also meant is that it would probably seem ridiculous to most educators to put a 5th grader in a 2nd grade class and expect him to be happy and excited about that experience. Sometimes that's effectively what's happening, though, if there's no grade skip or consistent acceleration given.

I agree Amy smile. Telling a kid like Jeni's DS not to move too far ahead in his learning because of a rigid curriculum is like not allowing a physically ready toddler to practice walking because the house isn't childproof. Both scenarios are based on the convenience of adults, not what's best for the kid's development...

I
    I
    It's called Academic Advocacy for Gifted Children by Barbara Gilman. Bobbie is with the Gifted Development Center out of Denver, CO. You can order the book through their website at www.gifteddevelopment.com. It's really a great resource and contains more than just advocacy information.
    Between this and Kriston's recommendation for the Usbourne Math Dictionary, my credit card is getting a workout this weekend. Thanks for the recommendation.

Originally Posted by Jool
    Telling a kid like Jeni's DS not to move too far ahead in his learning because of a rigid curriculum is like not allowing a physically ready toddler to practice walking because the house isn't childproof. Both scenarios are based on the convenience of adults, not what's best for the kid's development...

Oooh! I love that analogy! I'm totally using that, Jool! It is a *great* illustration of what is probably my biggest complaint about the whole square peg/round hole in school problem.

Thanks! smile

Kriston
    Yep, I'm using that one too!!! Perfect!!!!

Don't forget to check out "Reforming Gifted Education." In it, it has questionnaires that DC fills out over a few weeks which tells about learning style and preferences to help guide in writing a GIEP. It also goes through every form of modification there is, and pros and cons of each, giving profiles of students that would be good for each of those scenarios.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM