Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #30866 11/18/08 01:54 PM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Does anyone have knowledge of any colleges that are friendly toward students with gifted characteristics? Is there such a thing?

I ask because unfortunately it took us years to find the right schooling for our daughter. We went from seeing we had a super bright toddler, to learning about giftedness, to trying traditional private schools, to experiencing the complications of gifted characteristics - all until she crashed in 10th grade! Finally, we found a small private school that she tested into for the gifted and it is a godsend to us all; she is finally happy as a lark again - free to express and be independent and learn the way that fits her mind, and the teachers are all trained in gifted education.
    But now I'm nervous that college might become another complicated step on the road to a healthy life. We've learned that Ivy League probably doesn't suit a lot of gifted minds in spite of the academic reputations they have - so, where ARE the colleges that know how to work with these kids?? Are we looking at smaller colleges, perhaps? Health and happiness and a good fit is what we seek for her.

Thank you!

Last edited by search_n-rescue; 11/18/08 02:59 PM.
    acs Offline
    I would say that there are gifted kids thriving at just about every college in the US. But, that doesn't mean that any given gifted kid could thrive at any given college in the US. Colleges and Universities have personalities just like people do. They key is to find the right personality match. In the long run, the best thing is to have your student visit the colleges she is interested in and see if the fit.

What were the traits in your daughter that made it hard for her to fit into the schools she had trouble at? What does this current school offer that works for her? What does she love? What can't she stand? With these things in mind, perhaps some of us might be able to give you some guidance about what colleges might best suit her.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks acs.

In a nutshell, she's highly perceptive, with lots of thoughts running deep, creative, great memory - but not terribly organized, "temporaly challenged" is her own description, and has a rigid set of high standards - the school she was at was homework intensive++, with rigid requirements on deadlines (the "hand in tomorrow or get an F" approach) - it would take most student hours to complete their work and they would all complain, but for her with her mix of perfectionism and intensity, it would reguarly take into the wee hours of the morning. It became very stressful.

The new school is flexible, allows independence, allows students to progress at their own rate - focuses on learning and discussion rather than myriad deadlines to obtain grades. The teachers are trained to understand gifted mindsets and characteristics - they accept the differences rather than challenging them or denying them. They take the students out of their books and into the community to work - have international travel trips for on site learning in other countries - there's a sense of adventure with the learning.

I have to go now to collect my kids from school but if any of that causes a connection with any type/name of college, I'm all ears for discovering!

Thanks again!

Last edited by search_n-rescue; 11/18/08 03:33 PM.
    acs Offline
    Boy, do I have the college for you!

http://www.evergreen.edu/home.htm

It looks like it would suit her personality well.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks acs, I'll take a good look!

Look at Hampshire. They are fairly tough to get into, but then they allow the students plenty of freedom to explore and work on projects.

Hi Search,
    Here's a link to colleges that have independent study projects. Can you afford to hire someone to help you with this? My son is only in 8th grade, but I'm thinking that as it draws nearer, it would be good to find someone who could help understand gifted, colleges, and my kid.

Does her school have anyone who is involved in the college process?

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/college/undergrad-research-programs

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks everyone - I just came back this morning and saw your replies.

Lorel - We'll look at Hampshire. It would be good to try for a competitive college - she scores very high on national testing and another thing she loves about her new school is that she is surrounded by intelligent, creative, stimulating High School kids - but who aren't cookie cutter learners :O)

Grinity - yes, the school does have a college counselor, who has already taken them this year to visit some west coast colleges. Since theirs is a small school, they tend to see their students go to smaller, liberal arts colleges for undergrad because it shadows the more intimate experience of their High School years, where they can be known for who they are and not get lost in an educational process. I haven't directly asked him about places that might understand 'giftedness' - meaning when it manifests in a more complicated way rather than in great thinking or work - that was a question I just thought about, so I will approach him next chance I get... perhaps I'll have some feedback for you!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM