Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 275 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #30305 11/13/08 12:29 AM
    C
    OP Offline
    C

My 12yo ds took the ACT a couple of weeks ago. I signed him up hoping he'd qualify for some of the on-line learning programs available through places like Duke TIP or JHU CTY as we've been having no joy with school for a while & I wanted a back-up plan. I sprung it on him at the last minute & he had done absolutely zero prep, so I was a little concerned as to how he'd go, especially given his continuing downward spiral in the school engagement stakes.

Well, don't we underestimate them! wink He ended up with a respectable 24 composite, and managed a 30 for English! Maths (which he insists he's no good at) 23, Science 22 & the only glitch was his Reading score at 19 where he completely bummed out on the Arts/Literature subtest (it'll be interesting to get the full results & see what happened there.)

Needless to say I'm proud as punch of him. smile They may not be the most stellar scores, but hey, the kid did it cold and he's not renowned for being great with timed tests. They're certainly enough to qualify for any of the programs I had in mind.

Thanks for letting me share � no-one around here (Aust) would know what ACT scores meant, even if I did feel comfortable discussing his results. One more reason this board is such a wonderful resource! grin

Hey - awesome!

Dottie #30316 11/13/08 05:53 AM
    Congrats to your DS!!!!

M
    M
    Originally Posted by cassandra
    Well, don't we underestimate them! wink

I'm still learning the quote thing so I apologize if this looks odd...
    Yes, I am guilty of the same underestimating when it come to my kids too. Thanks for sharing your good news. CoNgRaTs!!!

momx2 #30338 11/13/08 07:23 AM
    Congrats to your DS! Those are great scores, and you can see the percentiles compared to National norms here: http://www.actstudent.org/scores/norms1.html

If he took it through the talent search, did you get these percentiles, or just percentiles as compared to the other talent search participants? I think a 94th percentile in English compared to mostly 17 year olds is much more significant than a 99th percentile (or whatever it is) compared to other 12 year olds.

momx2 #30345 11/13/08 07:34 AM
    Congratulations to your DS, Cassandra!!! That is a wonderful accomplishment! It's nice when a kid has the chance to shine so dramatically, particularly if the school doesn't give them the opportunity to do so. I hope this helps with the downward spiral with school. Sometimes these tests can help kids take a longer view beyond the narrow confines of k-12 education. I remember taking the ACT at the same age and it helped me to focus on what I wanted for my education after high school. It was like a door had been opened and I could suddenly see a world full of possibilities out there. I decided then that I was going to jump through all the hoops at school as quickly as possible so that I could race on to where the real learning was going on. I hope the same thing happens with your DS. Hang in there!

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    ebeth #30348 11/13/08 07:42 AM
    Yay for your DS, cassandra! wow!

L
    L
    Congratulations! My son is only ten now, but I think in a few years he might try taking the ACT.

Lori H. #30433 11/14/08 02:07 AM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thankyou all for your kind words. As I said, it's just so nice to have a place like this to share.

I'll submit his scores to a Talent Search, but as we're not in the US it's a matter of sitting the test independently & then forwarding a copy of the report. I'm hoping the Talent Search info will arm me with something his school will take note of.

ebeth - thanks for sharing your experience. I can see the same sort of catharsis happening with my son. Perhaps not overnight, but the signs are there. Fingers crossed!

Cheers,
    Cassandra

Those scores look good enough for Davidson Academy for grade seven:
    http://www.davidsonacademy.unr.edu/Articles.aspx?ArticleID=144&NavID=1_33

I hope this gives your son a boost.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM