Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 426 guests, and 32 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    My ds5 has always been very competitive, obsessional and intense.

I find this very hard to deal with and have always tried to stress that all I expect is that he does his best, not be the best. I have also tried to emphasise that sometimes mummy just needs five minutes to herself.

He just doesn't seem to get this and some days I move around the house, upstairs and downstairs to just get away from him. Sounds awful I know. Anyway I have even been in the bath and washing my hair under the water and when I open my eyes, there he is still talking. On the really bad days it feels like the shower scene from psycho, when she pulls back the curtain and there is the grinning baddie! He interupts, talks over people, shouts and demands to know the ins and outs of whatever it is that I am discussing with another adult(and nothing whatsoever to do with him) I am virtually unable to make or receive a phone call when he is at home. He demands attention and interaction every waking hour at times. At others he will play with lego for hours, still talking and questioning but not so intense.
    In the car he shouts out number facts, demands answers to questions and even gives directions(go left here, get in the other lane mummy, change gear, stop at the red light, second exit at the roundabout) He even shouts instructions to other drivers. He wants to learn to drive. He is five for goodness sake.
    He also has tantrums because he counts things, lamposts, speed signs. On and on. It is like a permanent driving test.

Is this normal for g+t kids or do I have a problem on my hands.

We have to be at school at half eight for when the caretaker opens the gate so that we can not only be the first in reception queue but now the first in the entire school in the playground. Today when his class were filing in, he momentarily lost concentration and then noticed that several kids had already gone in. He barged past them shouting, I was first and pushed them out the way.

His teacher gave me a look. Because I am a lone parent I never get a break from him and have even resorted to putting him his car seat and standing outside the car door for five minutes. He still talks. I have even locked myself in the shed where he can't get to me and demand answers to his questions that I just don't have!

I really don't.

At times he can be supersentive to other's feelings and thoughts and others he can be super sized insensitive and downright rude. He doesn't seem to read the social signals, other times he has commented on something that not even other adults have picked up on. E.g when people are in pain and hiding it, issues arond access for disabled people is a big one.
    He is one end of the spectrum or the other. Nothing in between. He barges in on conversations, is rude and demanding and interferes in everything.
    His teacher complains that he is socially immature.Anyone else experience this?

Sorry for the negative tone of this post, but I am exhausted and hoping there is a btdt out there who will advise when this actually gets a bit easier.
    I don't even know if he is gifted, although quite confident after reading all the posts here that sound so familiar. No other child in this area wher we live is even remotely like him and it is so hard to judge what is common to kids like him and how to deal with it.

Last edited by rachibaby; 11/06/08 06:00 AM.
    Just a check: he doesn't have Asperger's Syndrome, does he? I'm no expert and he isn't sounding 100% typical of AS to me, but a few red flags are popping up. If you aren't sure, it might be worth at least checking on. If nothing else, some of the same strategies that are useful for living with someone with AS might be useful for you, too.

Have you tried requiring "quiet time" for a while in the afternoon? I lived and died by that when I was worn out by all the talking. (I'm an introvert, so my alone time is a physical and psychological necessity for me!)

Have you tried finding things your son can immerse himself in alone? This may require baby steps, and he will probably resist at first, but I think you have to be firm about it. You have needs, and he's trampling on them, whether he means to or not. He sounds like an extrovert, but just as introverts have to learn how to deal with people, extroverts have to learn how to be alone.

Rather than running away to get some peace and quiet, I think you have to lay down the law. You're allowed to set limits on how he can use your time. The shower ought to be a safe zone! He's old enough to understand and respect this. Set some rules and use the carrot-and-stick if you must in order to get him to follow the rules.

Playdates with friends help, too. If he has other kids to talk to, he'll leave you alone more.

Good luck! I'm exhausted just reading about it!

Kriston
    Hiya Rachibaby,

I can understand your exhaustion and I have had some experience with DS7 doing similar things (the nonstop talking, following me around whilst talking - although never opening up my shower curtain, but standing near it :), telling me to watch out for certain things whilst driving, and wanting to be involved in my conversations with others). I think he was doing those things more when he was younger like your son and now he seems to be a bit more calm and socially aware. So it does get better, but I've had to work with him too on what is socially acceptable.
    I think DS has just so much information in his head that he has to get it out. He has always been a busy guy and this is normal for him. I think school has also helped him become more aware of when to speak and just have common courtesy.
    How does your son do in school? Is there anyone (family or friends) who are close by so you can get a break? That is so very important so you can cope.
    I hope my sharing has helped you somewhat.
    Take care,
    Moni

L
    L
    Some of this sounds familiar. My son didn't throw tantrums, it was me having mommy meltdowns from lack of sleep and no time alone. The talking and questioning and occasional bossiness definitely sounds familiar, but he is not as bossy as my daughter was because he has more empathy.

He always needed less sleep than I did, just like his Dad, and if he was awake, I was supposed to be awake.

At five or six he stopped asking quite as many questions, because he learned to look up answers online, but the questions were replaced with "Mom, did you know ..." or "Mom, you've gotta see this really cool Youtube video" or "Mom, this new video game is coming out next month, do you want to know what it is?" to which I reply not really, but he laughs and tells me anyway and tries to convince me that it is "educational" in some way hoping that I will buy it for him.

Like your son, he can tell when people are in pain and hiding it. At 4 1/2 when his grandmother suddenly lost many years worth of memories (including the fact that he was her grandson who lived next door to her and saw her every day) and she couldn't communicate very well, he understood her pain and somehow knew what she was trying to say. It was almost like a psychic connection of some kind. I remember one time when my Dad, who takes care of my mother at home, went outside because we heard sirens. It turned out there was a grass fire in our neighborhood. My son told me that he thought we should stay inside with my mother because she might be frightened. We stay with my mother any time my Dad has to leave the house. My son is so patient with her when she asks the same questions over and over again because her short term memory is limited to about 30 seconds.

My son always seemed to have a lot more empathy than my former cheerleader daughter and I know that he doesn't intend to annoy me. Most of the time he just wants to share something he finds interesting and I feel really bad about snapping at him. For example, he just shared this quote that he heard on Youtube from a guy who played Guitar Hero: "You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you are all the same." He liked the quote and thought it was worth sharing.

He can tell when there is something bothering me and if I don't tell him what it is or if I try to tell him that it is something else, he can tell that I am not being entirely truthful and it bothers him. He thinks I should be able to tell him anything. When he senses that I am upset or worried about something, he tells me that I am really a good mom and he tries to talk me through it or make me laugh.

Some of this sounds familiar. I like all the above advice. I had issues like this with both my girls. It gets better, they *mellow* a little, at least mine did. Give it 1 1/2 to 2 years and the intensity may increase. May not go away, but it will take the edge off a little.

I *trained* them to manage their intensity and when it was appropriate to let all hang loose and when they should *work* to contain it a bit.

Calm, consistent, redirecting. Did I mention calmly. That's the key IMO.

Keeping one's intensity in check is tough. Its hard not to come across as cold and aloof as a result of keeping it at the the lowest setting. Patience and empathy go a LONG way to see how one is being perceived.

One has to tailor the subjects, the simultaneity, complexity, words and emotions to the audience and the situation. Too much information, too many ideas, too many tracks, and too much to much overwhelms people and makes them shut down or just run away screaming!

Yes, good point and a five year old is not expected to learn this, it takes time. This is something I have, I mean, a child can work on for many many years. grin

Originally Posted by rachibaby
    competitive, obsessional and intense.

...mummy just needs five minutes to herself.

He interupts,
    talks over people,
    shouts and d
    emands to know the ins and outs of whatever it is that I am discussing with another adult
    I am virtually unable to make or receive a phone call when he is at home.
    He demands attention and interaction every waking hour at times.
    In the car demands answers to questions and even gives directions(go left here, get in the other lane mummy, change gear, stop at the red light, second exit at the roundabout)

He also has tantrums
    Is this normal for g+t kids or do I have a problem on my hands.

He barged past them shouting, I was first and pushed them out the way. (My DS is slow moving and never gets anywhere first, but always wanted to be the first in every line and at age 5 would have no compuntion about shouting and pushing)

At times he can be supersentive
    others he can be super sized insensitive and downright rude.
    He doesn't seem to read the social signals,
    other times he has commented on something that not even other adults have picked up on. E.g when people are in pain and hiding it, issues arond access for disabled people is a big one.
    (This one was a huge deal for us all through elementary school, finally I have up and let them write 'has difficulty reading social cues' in his file, but really lots of it was that
    a) he was picking up subtle cues that the adults didn't want to claim, and
    b) sometimes he just didn't care about hurting other's feelings (I can imagine him feeling that they hurt his feelings all the time by expecting him to do baby work, so it's it normal to hurt other people's feelings?)

Nothing in between.
    He barges in on conversations,
    is rude and demanding and interferes in everything.

His teacher complains that he is socially immature.Anyone else experience this?

OK, DS12 is now a perfectly nice person, still can be rude/supersensitive and a bit of a Maverick, but much much calmer. I highlighted all the things that I could remember from age 5. He had a behavior chart in 1st and 2nd grade of school.

Do you have a problem on your hands? Yes and No - I believe that for my child, I was seeing a child with a bad combination of 'normal gifted intensity' and anxiety/'reaction to a bad school fit.'

What helped us was
    Flylady and her structure.
    Me getting used to his unusally high needs, like a child with a disability. Me always remembering to take care of myself, so that I could spread calm, because my DS was always feeding off my own energy.
    Journaling about which one behavior was bothering me the most and sticking to that one thing and letting everything else roll off my back.
    Bucking in and buying him a handheld computer game, that I could treaten to 'take away' for 5 minutes if I really needed a behavior of his to Stop.

The book 'the explosive child' has some good tips.

For me, the hallmark of those years was 'pick my battles' - it was easier for me to refuse to do something innapropriate and make him earn my compliance with good behavior than it was for me to try and make him do something that I couldn't make him do.

BTW, DS12 recently said to me - Mom, it's not that I don't know when I'm hurting other people's feelings, it's just that I don't always care.

There are times when not being overly interested in how other people feel can allow you to 'do the right thing.' Looking back at my childhood, I was always more concerned with safety than people's feelings. Telling people, I object to that sort of racist humor, does hurt their feelings, but it is worth it. Here I've tried to develop my skill at very lovingly being 'cruel to be kind' when I think it's needed. I wish I was better at it.

I realized that your son's aims and goal aren't as lofty as all that now, but if you see his intensity and commitment to his vision as something to be nurtured, I wouldn't be suprised if his aims and goals get bigger quite soon.

As for the present moment, will your son watch TV or play internet games such as Adventure Quest or Runescape, or handheld games? Of course hooking up with a teenager or grandparent type who can devote one-to-one time is more ideal. Check with your place of worship or local high school, as teens there may be expected to do 'good works' of somekind, and entertaining your high need kid qualifies in my book.

I have no doubt that you can get through this, and that in time, the demands will be less daily. Consentrate on day to day survival and find those teachable moments when you can. We really really looked for 'what else' could be causing my son's weird behavior back then, and never found anything besides: "Asynchronous Development." Luckily with time that becomes less of a challenge. LOL - and then puberty hits and all the other kids finally start acting as weird as your kid has always been, what a relief!

Love and More Love,
    Grinty

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    Thank you all so much for your advice.

So much of it rings true and I do realize that it will hopefully get better. I find that the exhaustion just builds up and the intensity just gets too much and I have a meltdown.

I guess I just feel that I am entitled to feel worn out by it all and entitled to some time and peace to myself. If I am honest I think that there is no difference In my rection to him if he is being genuinely naughty or if I am feeling tired or irritated. So he is so used to a negative mummy that it is water off a ducks back to him.

Last night he was in a foul mood and I sent him downstairs after a major meltdown and he finally calmed down. Ten or fifteen minutes later he called me down urgently. I raced down the stairs and he smiled up at me from what he was doing. "Look mummy, I am being unannoying." I felt awful.

A lot of the problem is Asynchronous Development. There is a three or more year gap between his emotional age and his mental age which causes huge problems.

I have encouraged his reading and I hope that when it takes off I will get some time to myself.

Thank you all again. It was great to get it off my chest

Childcare can be a lifesaver, too, even if you stay in the house. A "mother's helper" can come over and play with your son, and even be pretty young (and therefore cheaper). But that might give you a little peace.

You ARE entitled to that! You really are! smile

Or work out trades with a friend who is also feeling harried. About that age, most people around here expect playdates to be without parents present. That's free, and might help you both ways, since you either have the house to yourself or you have a playmate for your son at your house. It works great for us!

Kriston
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs