Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Engineer and Entrepreneur. Picked a heck of a time to start this latest venture.

JB

JBDad #29347 10/30/08 12:06 PM
    S
    S
    I've got a Computer Science/Math degree with secondary education certificate (I could teach if I wanted to). Wanted to major in history or philosophy but needed to get a degree and graduate and make some money. Spent many years as a software analyst and then went into training. Was building a business in public speaking (self esteem) when, Surprise!, Pud came along. Now, I figure I just work for him.

squirt #29358 10/30/08 05:03 PM
    Originally Posted by squirt
    Was building a business in public speaking (self esteem) when, Surprise!, Pud came along. Now, I figure I just work for him.

LOL!

I always say that kids are the toughest bosses in the world: in any other job, you take bathroom breaks, regular showers and a full night's sleep for granted; not so with parenting! frown

Kriston
    Kriston #29361 10/30/08 05:57 PM
    My money making job is as a computer programmer/analyst, with my specialty being DB2/COBOL on the mainframe. I've done a lot other languages but found my niche in some database design and application programs for the database I helped design. I'm also a cattle farmer and a full time grandma to GS9.

Originally Posted by OHGrandma
    My money making job is as a computer programmer/analyst, with my specialty being DB2/COBOL on the mainframe. I've done a lot other languages but found my niche in some database design and application programs for the database I helped design.
    This is what I used to do before I "retired" 8 years ago! Now I teach a couple of computer classes at a community college to earn extra money for extracurriculars, etc.

lily #29445 11/02/08 04:18 AM
    Programmer & system admin in the growing niche of business intelligence. At least it was growing last year...DH is a linux admin. We both have degrees in fine art so it was pretty obvious we'd end up in the tech. field. smile

M
    M
    I'm a retired university professor (cultural history--about as mushy and qualitative as it gets! <smile>); I was also a professional musician "on the side" while I was teaching. I quit work when our eldest son was one; my husband had been able to take a year of parental leave when he was born, but when that was up, neither one of us could face leaving our boy with somebody else, so I came home.

Now I'm homeschooling my three sons, raising chickens and vegetables, doing a lot of knitting and weaving, and pondering writing another book. I published a couple of academic books while I was teaching, but I feel too far removed from that world to do another one, and would like to try something aimed at a more general audience. We'll see!

Okay, Minnie, you sound like the most interesting mom on the planet. Who wouldn't want to be homeschooled by you? Which instrument(s) did you play professionally?

seablue #29459 11/02/08 11:50 AM
    Seablue, you're going to scare her off!! wink wink
    Minnie, that reminds me of one of my sisters; her family has a big Buster Keaton thing going - no words, but seriously funny/clever stuff! Their 2 dd's are eg++, it's just a riot over there!

I work in public education. Not a teacher, but a bureaucrat.

Used to work in marketing communications for a telecom equipment manufacturer, a tech book publisher, and a software packager. Not all at once.

Before that I was a retail buyer.

Before that I was a manager of technical professionals.

Before that I was a corporate trainer.

Before that I was a technical professional.

Before that I worked in retail.

My degrees are in international relations, computer programming and marketing. I've also studied organizational development and mediation.

My resume is so ADD.

I've liked some of the people I've worked with and some of the places I've worked. But I wouldn't say I've ever found my calling.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM