Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 115 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    ...for GT kids aged 6-9yo?

I'm coaching a Junior First LEGO League team for the first time, and I'd like to give them some things to do at our practices that will foster teamwork and creative problem-solving, but that will also get them up out of their chairs. We had a hard time coming up with enough meeting dates that everyone could attend, so our meetings have to be 90 minutes long. Not ideal...That means I need some active tasks that will help them change gears and get re-focused on the next thing, but which will also be useful in the context of the team.

One example: the human knot. Everyone stands in a loose circle and takes the hands of two different people--not both hands of one person. Then without breaking any handholds, the group has to untie itself to form one circle (or sometimes two interlocking circles). It's nice because one person cannot solve the puzzle. People must all cooperate. And it's fun because it winds up being rather like Twister at points: step over, duck under, turn around...Good fun!

So that's the sort of thing I have in mind, just to get the ball rolling.

Other ideas? Feel free to make some up on the spot! These don't have to be tried and true! They just have to work with GT 6-9yos!

Actually, if they fail, I'll have the team problem-solve why they failed. There's really no losing here! wink

Kriston
    Divide into teams. Each team forms a line and joins hands. Pass a hula hoop over the first person's head. He has to pass the hoop to the next person without letting go of his hand. The first team to pass the hoop to the other end wins. Or just stand in a circle and pass the hoop around the circle (noncompetitive version).

Or:

Without using your hands, pass a ball from person to person. Don't let the ball touch the floor.

I don't know how team oriented it is, but I love Hide the Thimble. Rules: an ordinary thimble is somewhere in the room, hidden in plain sight. You can add hot/cold clues if you like.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, Cathy! smile

Kriston
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yes, I knew the human knot from my time as a camp counselor back in college. But I can't remember much beyond that. Any other camp counselors or VBS leaders out there?

I guess the JrFLL has a teamwork activity to do the day of the expo, too, just like the FLL kids. Only ours is simpler, like inventing a cheer. (Last year's task.)

Thanks, Dottie! Keep 'em coming, friends! grin

Kriston
    DD likes when everyone says three things about themselves. Two are true, one is a fib. The rest of the team tries to figure out what is a fib. Very funny.

Have them run around outside for 15 minutes and whoever comes back most tired is winner. Have teammates vote.

My personal fav: The quiet game, need I explain? grin

since you said it's a LEGO League... i assume there will be legos....

I went to one team meeting that has us compete to build the tallest tower

that could be fun... the tallest tower that has the most openings so they have to thing about stablity, engineering

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yes, thanks. We're going to be doing a lot of LEGO-building though. I was trying to come up with some stuff that would get them up and moving, using their bodies, just to change up the pace. 90 minutes of nothing but LEGO-building is going to get very old! frown

Kriston
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I like that! I'm sure I can adapt it in some way to make it work for our purposes.

Thanks!

Kriston
    S
    S
    Well I am a school social worker and don't work with this age now, but did for many years. I have a million of these but I will just share a few. Some good ones that I have done is the lego building one (which I thought of first due to the name of the group, LOL). You build something with lego's and put it in the other room and allow one member of the team to go and see it and then go back and help the team to replicate it. After they try for a bit you let another member come in and see it and go back. It's really great. Although you may have to make it pretty complicated based on the group. If there are lot of kids you could do 2 groups....but I find when you do that then there is more competition and less team building.

Also a simple one is the paper tower. The group gets a stack of plain 8 1/2 x 11 paper and is asked to work together and build the tallest tower they can only using the paper they have. (the tallest way I have seen done is to fold the paper into triangles the long way and pile them up on top of eachother at an angle. You can get at least 3-4 that way). But who knows GT kids may find different ways. It's interesting to watch and see what they come up with. then you talk after about how it worked, what roles people took, how people handled frustration (well I do all that because that is the point...but I guess that's not your point so you wouldn't have to do all that).

One more, there is a game called over under through. you need 2 long ropes and some sort of stands to tie them to (trees, volleyball stands, etc.). Tie two ropes horizontally between the two stands so there is enough room for each member of the group to get his body between the two ropes...but will need some help to do this. The height of the rope can vary based on your group. Then you challenge the group to get all it's members from one side to the other successfully...but they have to follow the rules. Which are: no one may touch the ropes at any time or the whole team starts over; one person must go over the top of the highest rope; one person must go under the lowest rope; the rest of the team must go between the two ropes; and you may not go around the ropes. This is a really fun activity if you have the stuff for it.

Hope some of those are helpful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...