Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 262 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    K
    klh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    hi, i just found out dd7 is gifted(gai 151, fsiq 126). Her older brother10 has fsiq 105, low low processing. Was to told by the school my son had visual procesing disorder. I took him to vision therapy for 2yrs. However, his achivement keeps sliding year by year. If you speak with my son he has an extensive vocabulary, speaks in a very mature and articulate manner, to the point that other kids look at him like he is some sort of freak. Hobbies are legos,drama, choir, architecture, egyptology/archeology, a wicked/adult sense of humor and great artwork. He cannot ride a bike still, very clumsy, very bad spelling, hates to read( loves to be read too) and extream difficulty with written out put. Verbally he seems as bright, if not brighter than dd7 id as gifted.
    so here are my questions:

1. can an Ld depress an iq score significantly?

2. Are schools using visual processing disored as a dumping ground? (i think the 6,000 I spent on vision therapy was a waste of money. I never saw great improvement)

3. Any thoughts on this child would be greatly appriciated?

By the way, three people have dyslexia in my family.

Do you have his score breakdown, ie. the separate verbal, performance, memory and processing scores? Often, kids who are 2e will have a large discrepancy such as very high verbal score/very low processing speed. So, yes. An LD can depress an IQ score significantly.

If you can post the scores our resident score gurus may be able to help smile

K
    klh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Here are his scores:

Similarities 13
    vocabulary 11
    comprehension10

block design 13
    picture concepts 7
    matrix reaasoning 12

digit span 11
    letter number 13

coding 7
    symbol search 9

this test was done in first grade at the request of his teacher. She thought he might be gifted.

I was wondering, do they present vocabulary in a written manner, or is it presented verbally?

Thanks for the help!

K
    klh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Also, he just had MAPs testing. He scored in the 70%. He also told me he couldn't do the work any more and just guessed.

K
    klh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Hi Dotti, I was wondering what kind of testing you did to find out about your daughters auditory processing. Also I forgot to mention I have an older boy 14, who has dysgraphia. His iq at 6 was 105(wisc iii). Had him retested in 5th grade-iq 120(wisc iv). Unfortunatly, I don't have his subtest. But I bet his processing pulled him way down.

S
    san54
    Unregistered
    san54
    Unregistered
    S
    Hi,

You may have already contacted your local LDA chapter. We found them to be wonderful advocates with helpful information. Our LDA advocate came with us to IEP meetings as backup. They are generous this way. I agree; a verbal test would be an accurate ruler. Your son sounds like he has a wonderful intellect. Also, was the test taken by the school or did you see an educational psych in a private practice?

K
    klh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Hi, first I would like to say thank you for all the great input
    .It is soo helpful.
    He was tested by the school district. I have now come to realize they do not know what they are doing. My dd was tested by them. They made a few mistakes in her test. One, she is left handed which heavily penalizes her in coding,also a perfectionist. Her score on coding was in the 5%. Two, they would not substitue her arithmatic score(99.7%). Three, they had no clue what the GAI was, nor were they interested in checking into it.
    Unfortunatly we do not have the funds to pay for outside testing(economy) for ds10. I did check into the clinical psy. dept. at our local universities. This is where graduate students practice their clinicals. They only charge 250.00.They will do IQ and achievment testing. Does anyone thinks this is a viable alternative?
    Iam hoping next year we can afford to have dd7 evaluated by Dr. Ruff or at the Gifted Development Center. Does anyone know if there is a good place in Chicago to have her gitedness tested.
    This would be much closer for us.

Mia Offline
    klh -- sending you a pm ...

Mia
    I know first hand that dysgraphia can effect IQ scores.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations