Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Dottie #28553 10/18/08 05:23 AM
    C
    cym Offline
    C

I'm coming in late, but here's my $0.02. AR in elementary school has worked for my kids in motivating them to read. A few yrs ago we were limited by which books were on the AR, but now almost everything seems to be on it. If the school library doesn't have a lot of higher level books, the public library does. I do not like AR to be the entire reading "curriculum" for a kid. Luckily, we also do "book studies", where the class reads a book in class together and has worksheets, discussions, projects. My 3rd grader is currently doing a book study on Lois Lowry's "Number the Stars", so he's learning about WWII and the Holocaust as well as some analysis of the book (theme, characters, plot, etc.)

I am not an advocate for AR after elementary school.

If AR does not fit your child and she's already an avid reader, I would talk to teacher/principal to see if accommodations can be made.

cym #28555 10/18/08 05:45 AM
    OP Offline
    I appreciate all the input. I had a "heart to Heart" with dd last night. Though we talk about how school is going every day, when there is a conference coming up, I like to really get a good sense of what she hopes we will discuss and what she likes and doesn't like.

I even talked to her about a grade skip since she is all "A"'s and isn't really working for them. (As I said, she can do all her homework for the week in one afternoon!) She really loves her teacher and she says she does get extra stuff to do that the other kids are not doing, like research. She loves that and is afraid that if she skips that could be taken away from her.

I guess we just have lots to talk about with the teacher and you are correct, you get more flies with honey than vinegar! I feel like we can work this out with minimal if any defensiveness. I have to be sure to take my notes - I get a little nervous, so I have to bring crib notes!

Our meeting is next week so I have some time to grab all the ideas I am getting from all of you! What a great group you are!!!

Dottie #28595 10/19/08 07:41 AM
    DD9's school does AR. Since our district's schools are such that all 4th and 5th graders attend the same building, the libraries have a limited selection of above grade books. DD is currently in 6th grade accelerated Reading with other GT 5th graders. Her teacher suggested that her students can either a) do the AR quizzes for points or b) complete a book report after finishing another book. She knows that most kids that take the accelerated LA are eager readers and don't need the points to motivate. Maybe this would be something you can suggest to the teacher, if you child is willing to "give up" the AR points to get more motivating books. I know DD was.

I also second looking into grade skip. If you begin to pursue this option now and the school is willing, doing the skip after holiday break might be a good fit. January is a lot of review anyway, so that would help her get up to speed.

Jen

Hi Mamabear -
    It sounds like your daughter's teacher has bonded with her, and 'gets' her, at least a little bit. Perhaps she will be open to your suggestions - I hope anyway.

I like the idea of starting the wheels turning for skip that would start NEXT September - at the pace things go in the school system, now would be the best time to start. And it would signal to the teacher to take an even closer look at your daughter and 'get' her even more clearly. Perhaps a trial of subject acceleration would be good to try, so she would still be with her main teacher for Most of the day...

I would encourage your daughter to write a heartfelt letter to the teacher about how she feels about the reading program that you can share with the teacher, face-to-face at the meeting, so that the teacher 'gets' that you are following your child's lead, not 'one of those parents.'

If heard it said that School folks are able to hear 'self-advocacy' from children starting around the age of 12. For us, at age 10, suddently the school-folks stopped thinking he was a pain and started taking him seriously. Before that age, Parents are encouraged to be 'in charge' of Advocacy, on behalf of their children, but to bring 'evidence' of their children's interest along with them to present it, rather than owing the problem themselves.

Make sense?
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    I hear what you are saying about Self Advocacy. DD is not a kid who wants to make waves. She told her Kindy teacher that she was bored (they were doing the sacred "letter people". DD was already reading well above grade level)and got into "insubordination" trouble. So we are working hard to undo all of that STILL!!

She might feel ok writing a letter. THat is something I will explore with her. I think this teacher does "get her" and we are thrilled to have that for the first time!!

As for the grade skip. If we were in a northern state, she would be in 4th grade anyway. She has one of those b-days that misses the cut off by weeks.

Who knew educating your children would be an education in itself!! Where I went to school, there was one school and that was where you "did your time".

Thank you again!!

acs Offline
    On AR books, our school let elementary kids go the to middle school to check out books and take tests. I also believe that there is a mechanism for teachers to write their own tests, but I don't know how this is done and it would involve the teacher reading the book, too.

On self advocacy, when DS was being shy about talking to one of his teachers, I wrote a letter that basically said, "DS has some things he would like to discuss with you, but is feeling shy. Would you please set up a lunch meeting with him?" It worked beautifully.

Last edited by acs; 10/21/08 11:54 AM.
    acs #28796 10/22/08 07:51 AM
    OP Offline
    We have had her teacher approach her on occasion, but DD clams up or says that everything is OK.

We have a good working relationship with the teacher, even have a home number that we have used once. So, I am pleased that she has a teacher that "gets her" on many levels.

I just checked her grades online and it seems that the AR deduction has disappeared! DD said that she thinks someone else had also taken tests on her account because she did not remember reading a couple of the books. That could be true since she has done so little with AR this Q.

OP Offline
    Just an update:

We met with the teacher and DD does not have to participate in AR. Her scores on MAPS were beyond accelerated and with that information in hand, the teacher is now able to "push the pedal" as she says. DD will be accelerated across the board!!

I love this teacher!!

Oh, yay! I'm so glad they found a way around this problem.

Pats on the back to the great teacher! Happy, happy, joy, joy! laugh

Kriston
    OP Offline
    it truly is a godsend when you find a teacher that "gets your kid"! This is a new experience for us and we are taking full advantage!!

Thanks again for everyone's input. I was armed and ready to do battle...and there was no need...how cool is that?

now for babybear...still fighting for her....hoping for the same result!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM