Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 245 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #28446 10/17/08 06:29 AM
    OP Offline
    Does anyone think that GT kids who are self motivated to read should be required to participate in AR? My DD(9)reads well above her grade level. She is in 3rd grade in a school that only goes to 5th grade, conequently, the library does not have many books at her level that she is interested in that are also on the AR test list.

I really think that she should be encouraged to continue reading and if they want to give her credit 'like AR' she should be asked to write a report or given an oral test. Instead, they want to deduct from her ELA grade for not making her required points.

What say you experienced GT guides?

C
    C
    I was told last year that almost all books can now be found on the accelerated reader list, although I am sure it takes a little bit for the brand new ones to show up.

I have told my GT students to make use of the public library as much as possible. One of my GT students took a reading list that I had and looked up the AR level and point value for me - this should be available from your school either in a notebook or on the computer.

Also, AR level is just based on vocabulary. I have found that it is very rare to find a fiction book above an 8th grade AR level. Also there are 4th grade level books in AR that I would not allow even a 5th grader to read because of the content or the depth of the topic. I feel too many students are choosing books based on AR level only and not on the content or topic.

Has she read any of the Lois Lowry books? You might look into these - although they are 4th and 5th grade AR level, they have a very deep level of thought that is required to understand them. I would suggest reading one of them first, so you can decide whether she will like them. I am talking about The Giver, The Messenger, Finding Blue, and Gossamer. Lowry has also written some books on lighter topics as well, although I have never read them.

OP Offline
    I will look up the Lowry books.

yes, many books have tests available, however, her school does not have them. I have offered to purchase the tests for the school but the response was not favorable.

Dottie #28460 10/17/08 07:42 AM
    OP Offline
    I wonder if AR is all that important for a child who reads every chance she gets? At our school, it seems to be used mainly as a motivational tool for reading. If the kids reach their goals, they get to go to a party and get a useless plastic trinket to put on their backpack. DD isn't motivated by the reward at all.

Dottie #28462 10/17/08 07:53 AM
    I'm not sure I wouldn't challenge the who notion of the program as it stands for a GT reader. I mean, what's the goal of AR? To limit what kids read? Or to push them to read more?

If the list of "acceptable" books is too limited, then it seems to me that someone needs to ask if the AR program is counterproductive to the goal of teaching LA to that child. Or perhaps to GT kids in general!

I confess, through these posts, what I'm hearing is the school saying "The bureacracy is more important than the child," and that always gets my dander up! mad

<end rant>

Kriston
    OP Offline
    I'm not thinking it's beaurocracy that is the concern. I think that there are so few GT kids where DD is (just 4 out of 100ish 3rd graders.)that they are expected to do as all are doing other than the "pull out program". Unfortunately where we live, there are no other viable options. We had tried private school, but they were totally clueless as to differentiation and accomodation. DD was EXCEPTIONALLY bored, though she didn't ever act out or anything. I am not equipt to hs, so here we are.

DD likes school and has learned to deal with some of the social issues and her teachers challenge her for the most part, except for this AR thing which seems senseless.

We will be meeting with the teacher soon, so we will see how the saga continues or ends....

I generally have liked the AR system. Here are my reasons:
    1. Until this week, our school has had every test available for books listed on the AR quiz site.
    2. Beginning in 2nd grade I started guiding GS's reading choices based on what I found on the AR site.
    GS picks out whatever fiction he wants to read(within some limits by me!) and takes AR tests on them if they're AR.
    I pick out nonfiction books that enhance other material they are doing in class. Nonfiction at the same level as fiction is much harder to Ace, and requires more effort(at least that's true if the kid reads fiction like popping M&M's!).
    3. The instant feedback on individual tests kept me informed on how well GS was reading. That tells me how to guide him to learn better.
    4. GS is allowed to read at his own level, not limited by what books are in the classroom or school library. I probably use my library card more than my credit card. smile

Downside:
    1. (Not so bad!) I read a lot of the books before allowing GS9 to read them. Many in his reading level might not be appropriate for a 9 year old, or maybe they address social issues that I think we need to discuss as a family.
    2. A lot of fun books that other 4th & 5th graders are reading are below his level. Just this week his teacher said he could not use those for points any more. He hadn't used more than 1 or 2 for that, up to this point, but she's keeping public score of percentage of goal made. I'm wondering if she's trying to keep him from making it a blowout.
    3. Once goals are met, not enough leeway is given on what should be read on a regular basis.

Well this:

Originally Posted by Mamabear
    I really think that she should be encouraged to continue reading and if they want to give her credit 'like AR' she should be asked to write a report or given an oral test. Instead, they want to deduct from her ELA grade for not making her required points.

and this:

Originally Posted by Mamabear
    I have offered to purchase the tests for the school but the response was not favorable.

say to me that "the way things are" or the AR system (which = "bureaucracy" in terms of the school) is more important than what is good for your child. They want her to fit into the system, even though she's beyond the system's capacity to teach her.

mad

The notion of penalizing her grade really steams me. Well, school system, then give her books that both interest her and meet the AR criteria. Can't do that? Then the system doesn't work for her and they need to find another solution, such as the ones you've recommended.

I think I'd be fighting pretty hard on this one if I were in your shoes. My injustice meter is off the charts! I feel like they're losing sight of the forest for the trees here. They've got a good reader who likes to read, and they're going to work hard to shut that down because they don't have and won't get the resources that she needs, but they also won't adapt the system in simple ways to meet her needs. That's the very definition of bureaucratic insanity to me!

Sorry, you're dealing with a former English teacher, here. This is the kind of stuff that made me crazy when students finally got to me in college. The things some of their schools had done to them to kill the love of literature and writing... cry

Kriston
    Dottie #28473 10/17/08 08:28 AM
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    ... First, the kids are encouraged to read within their appropriate levels, so it is NOT forced into grade level. This is good. And our school does have oodles of tests.

I just found out this week that DS is getting a one-on-one math slot during our "response to intervention" window, so I'm extremely happy and optimistic at the moment. This is in addition to his pretty good accelerated placement.

So...for him to "suck it up" a bit and get his quarterly points is NOT that big a deal with the big picture in mind. There are both appropriate AND challenging books that he can test on. Our problem is primarily that these are not the books (also appropriate and challening) that he wants to read. Given the olden days of "all 6th graders read XYZ", I really can't complain.

But in the spirit of the GIEP team, I do have plans to address this in the near future. I'm fortunate to say that my school has been very cooperative this year.

Please don't misunderstand me. I agree, Dottie et al, that the concept of AR is fine. My problem is with the practice in Mamabear's DD's case. THEY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH BOOKS AND TESTS AT HER DD'S LEVEL! That's a serious problem! And they refuse to adapt to fix the serious problem.

This is not a problem with AR, but with the bureaucracy of that particular school. This is what is steaming me.

AR itself seems like a pretty decent program, and I never intended to criticize it. But a progem only works if the school has the resources to use it with the actual kids it has. If a kid doesn't fit the program, then something has to give, and it shouldn't be the kid!

Programs should fit kids, kids shouldn't be squeezed to fit programs!

Kriston
    Dottie #28477 10/17/08 08:40 AM
    OP Offline
    In some ways, I understand the "suck it up" and just get your points, but I feel like she does "suck it up" doing the homework that she doesn't need or enjoy. She knows that if she just sits down and does it then it's an hour or so out of her afternoon. (She gets all of her weekly homework on Monday and can do all of it or just what is assigned for each day.) Typically she bangs it all out on Monday.

The AR thing is really the only issue she is bucking about. So, I thought I might take a chance that we could work something out that is more interesting to her. She actually likes research and writing and that sounds like a better skill to be practiced rather than remembering details of a book for an ABC test.

IMHO

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader