Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    OP Offline
    www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2008/10/15/08gifted_ep. (i was able to sign up for free and had access to this full article.)

I'm not so keen on this quote, but i guess we'll have to wait and see what the book has to say when it comes out in January.

Originally Posted by Education Week
    Academic talents can wax and wane, the latest thinking goes, meaning that a child who clearly outpaces his or her peers academically at age 8 can end up solidly in the middle of the pack by the end of high school. Instead of being innate and immutable, giftedness can be nurtured and even taught�and if ignored, it can also be lost.

The review goes on to state this:
    Originally Posted by Education Week
    The new structure surrounding giftedness does not deny that there are some children who are clearly more advanced than their peers, said Ms. Dweck. But such giftedness still must be developed, she said.

Here's the Amazon description of the book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Development-G...mp;s=books&qid=1224132886&sr=8-1

Val Offline
    Hmm. I'm concerned about this bit:

Originally Posted by EdWeek
    �The essence of this book, and the reason I found it so exciting, is that it is moving away from this idea of talent as something that some people have and some people don�t. It�s showing talent as something developable,� said Carol S. Dweck, a professor of psychology at Stanford University and the author of the new book�s foreword.

Sounds dangerously like phony egalitarianism to me.

I'll go back to our hackneyed sports analogy here. No one would seriously suggest that sprinting or jumping talent is something mostly "developable" and not innate. Yeah right, like someone's going to take a kid who runs the 100 in 13 seconds with a tailwind and "develop" her into Flo-Jo without kilograms of steroids and bionic legs? I don't think so.

(Though perhaps Ms. Dweck did indeed come close to making that suggestion?!?)

Yet educators and others continue to claim that we can raise IQ or pretend that it doesn't matter anyway. And now we having giftedness "waxing and waning" as though brains were tide pools. I guess this gives these folks an excuse to keep believing they have no role in creating gifted high schoolers who perform "solidly in the middle."

The review (and presumably the book?) makes some good points about teaching kids to try hard. And the guy from Hunter College made great points. I just get dubious when I see the stuff about giftedness "waxes and wanes."

!

Val
    <RANT OFF!>

There's a model that distinguishes 'Gifts' from 'Talents' in that 'Gifts' relate to potential or equipment for learning in various areas, while 'Talents' refers to actual skill that have been developed.

Now it's easy to say that not All Gifts become Talents, and that children with Gifts need adult help to develop Talents. A child with early signs of Giftedness sure can be so depressed or anxious or actin-out in elementary school that they miss developing the orgasnizational lessons of Middle School and don't seem very 'Talented' in by the end of High School. Of course Dweck doesn't address that at least 'some' of these kids will then go on to 'fall in love' with learning in College or even Graduate School and end up 'right back at the top of the pack' where they started.

But yeah, lots don't turn enough of their Gifts into Talents to really feel at home in their skins as adults. LOL - and then the babies come along, and often wipe the slate clean for those of us who have primary child-raising duty.

Where's the chapter on Parenting through the Gifted Lifespan?

((smiles))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I agree with the concerns expressed. I do see some hope, though.

The notion that if you don't nurture talent, it can go away seems to me to be a healthy call to schools to do more for GT kids, no? "Use it or lose it" is pretty simple for a teacher to understand, and it could possibly get said teacher to actually challenge a GT kid. It calls the (dumb!) notion that GT kids never need to be taught anything into question.

Kriston
    W
    W
    I agree with Grinity and Kriston. Use it or lose it has been a common attitude about early testing. There have been numerous studies that show kids that score gifted early on can move more to the middle by 7th grade. And others who move into the gifted category.

Also, the studies that showed in the inner city of Los Angeles, that IQs could be raised by 10 points with one year of music lessons on a string instrument or piano.

I don't think anyone is going to suggest you can move an average scoring child into the prodigy range. But I do not think you can take a PG kid and move him into the prodigy range by training.

A prodigy is something very unusual.

I posted a while ago that I was doing the Brain Quest kindergarten while we were in the car. DD had to look for B words. There were 8 items. She said bullrushes. Then she said there were 2 groups of bullrushes, so it should count for 2. Bullrushes were not even in the list, no surprise. Yesterday in the bath, I was the yellow turtle and I got caught in the bullrushes, (a pile of bubbles) and she asked me what bullrushes were.

I thought about how many times weird answers would kick into her head, like math at 2 or sight read. But there is the other side of her brain that has to work at reading or math. And it like one innate side has these magical answers but if she doesn't learn the rules to reading or math, she could lose it. Maybe I am wrong.

She has a strong cognitive reasoning but I could see her losing some skills without the work. I know gen ed wouldn't work for her.

Ren

Sing it, sister! Right on the mark, kcab!

Kriston
    I agree completely with kcab. I believe that the ability for giftedness does not wax or wane, but the expression of that ability - the part that we measure and observe - does. If a gifted child ends up in the middle of the pack in 7th grade, then that is called underachievement. It a *regular* child suddenly shoot ahead in 7th grade, then they were probably a gifted child that never had the fire and love of learning sparked before.

It is the primary job of education to find that spark in all children. The heights to which that spark takes them is based on their giftedness.

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    Yes, I think it's a wise distinction kcab is making.

I don't think one can become "un-GT," or for that matter, can become more GT. That's ability, and it's what you come with. Luck of the draw at birth.

But nurturing innate ability can make for higher achievement, better use of that talent, sharper skills. Ignoring or abusing ability can dull it, retard its development, and make it effectively get "lost." I like the image of the naturally fast sprinter who doesn't train. Eventually, someone similarly GT--or someone less innately GT, but who works hard to hone the skill--will outrun him. Soon, he doesn't seem all that GT a runner at all.

Both the initial, inherent GTness *and* a real challenge to those abilities are required for a GT athlete or a GT child to achieve as they are capable of achieving.

(And that's not even touching the tendency of some GT kids to mask their talents on purpose in order to fit in better. That's a form of "losing it" too, only it's purposeful on the part of the child. frown )

I'll just quote ebeth to end this message, because I really love this statement:

Originally Posted by ebeth
    It is the primary job of education to find that spark in all children. The heights to which that spark takes them is based on their giftedness.

You go, girl! smile

Kriston
    smile Thanks, Kriston. Kcab inspired me to wax lyrical there for a second. Now back to doing the dishes!

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    Wanna do mine, too? That's where I'm headed next! wink

Kriston
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets