Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #27789 10/10/08 04:32 AM
    Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    What or which are "maths facts" ?

I know it sounds silly, but can a child know how to do sums or rest or multiplication, etc without understanding 'math facts'.
    What exactly does this expression mean?

Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ahhh! I thought it would be a thorough understanding of the concepts, like for example a+b=b+a or a+0=a, etc.

Thanks for the clarification.

Originally Posted by Dottie
    Yes, a child can do advanced math without knowing his "math facts". But having them down cold will save him time, and allow him to focus on the concepts instead.

I posted about this elsewhere on this board. Once a fact is known, it should be drilled until it is second nature. There should be no pause, no hesitation in bringing it up or using it. Numbers, problems, proofs, etc, all fall in this method.

Math should be known like one knows a piano piece or a dance or a combative - it should just flow.

If you do less, then you are not doing your best.

Originally Posted by Austin
    Once a fact is known, it should be drilled until it is second nature.

If you do less, then you are not doing your best.

For us, a good strategy has been to learn to calculate the answer quickly. Just using the facts to solve problems naturally aids in memorization over time. Drilling on the facts in isolation was not producing the desired result.

Same here. Drill and kill is counterproductive for some kids. And straight memorization isn't the only way--or the best way for some kids--to know facts fast.

Our DS had to decide it was worth it to him to learn the facts. Now *he's* the one driving the math facts bus, and we're having a lot more success.

Obviously kids must learn the math facts and know them fast. But "if you do less, then you are not doing your best" definitely isn't the way we're approaching it.

(It probably also helps us that DS4 is eager to learn the times tables now, so DS7 is driven to learn them before his little brother! Sibling rivalry can be a good thing! smile )

Kriston
    Anyone know a game (online flash game or downloadable game is okay) that is akin to Timz Attack? DS loves it. He's nail his add facts too if he has a fun game to play like TA.

JB

Originally Posted by Kriston
    (It probably also helps us that DS4 is eager to learn the times tables now, so DS7 is driven to learn them before his little brother! Sibling rivalry can be a good thing! smile )

Timez Attack is really fun for our boys. Picture DS5.5 using the number pad on my right, and DS2.5 pressing "W" (move forward) while I control the mouse... both sitting on my lap. It's a little expensive, but our boys love it and it's a nice reward for when we have good days.

JB

I know of lots of online games for addition facts, but nothing with the high production values of TA.

I'd love to find one, too. DS4 would be TOTALLY into that right now! He plays TA, but he's not really fast enough at multiplication for that yet, so DS7 winds up "helping" a lot...

Kriston
    Originally Posted by JBDad
    Timez Attack is really fun for our boys. Picture DS5.5 using the number pad on my right, and DS2.5 pressing "W" (move forward) while I control the mouse... both sitting on my lap. It's a little expensive, but our boys love it and it's a nice reward for when we have good days.

Hey, how do you like the for-pay version of TA? We just have the freebie. Is it worth the extra money? It didn't seem like it to me, since my boys seem happy with the free "dungeon" level. But I have yet to hear from someone I know who has the for-pay version.

Whaddya think of it?

Kriston
    DS likes to use Flashmaster http://www.flashmaster.com/

It does + - � �

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM