Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    S
    "You know I'm really, really surprised and disappointed that there aren't more gifted private (or charter) schools in our area. It's frustrating really."

(I can't figure out the quote box thing again. I swear I'm losing my brains!)

I live in a major metro area in Texas and there are only 2 schools that I've found for gifted kids and they are both high schools. I'm thinking of calling them and asking "hey, what do parents of elementary age gifted kids do until they get to high school age. It is frustrating considering the number of schools there are that focus on "learning differences".

ETA: I don't mean to imply that kids with learning differences don't need those services. Our society just seems skewed.

Last edited by squirt; 10/08/08 08:20 AM.
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by chris1234
    But, I also saw that it had a parking lot full of $50k/cars. I know this probably sounds lame, but I thought, there is no way we as a family are going to fit in at this place, unless I work 4 jobs! hope that doesnt sound class-ist.

Chris-
    I get your point. We actually attend one of "those" schools. I drive my Scion every day into a parking lot full of Lexus, BMWs and more... We aren't "those people" but we have fun watching them. It was fun at the school auction last year to see people spend thousands- literally- on kids' artwork. "A beautiful framed collage from the Kindergarten class" $4000. !?!?!?!

Surprisingly, it hasn't mattered yet. We've been there a year and a half and I've found that while we make far less money, we are much more financially stable than most of the families there. Spending beyond your means to keep up a show just isn't our style. My kid wears Target clothes to school. And I don't have to scream when they get paint on them. grin

Originally Posted by squirt
    I live in a major metro area in Texas and there are only 2 schools that I've found for gifted kids and they are both high schools.

I know that DFW has several schools that start from 4 years and up.

Last edited by Austin; 10/08/08 10:52 AM.
    Q
    Q
    It was fun at the school auction last year to see people spend thousands- literally- on kids' artwork. "A beautiful framed collage from the Kindergarten class" $4000. !?!?!?!

You know that people don't spend that much b/c they think the artwork is worth it, right? It is a fundraiser after all. At DS's private school, the auction provided the revenue for a new playground. Sure it's good sport to watch them, but they're also good sports, themselves, to support the school and its programs, and many of us have been the beneficiaries of their generosity.

As for Target, I buy my clothes there, too, LOL!

C
    C
    Originally Posted by questions
    You know that people don't spend that much b/c they think the artwork is worth it, right? It is a fundraiser after all. At DS's private school, the auction provided the revenue for a new playground. Sure it's good sport to watch them, but they're also good sports, themselves, to support the school and its programs, and many of us have been the beneficiaries of their generosity.

As for Target, I buy my clothes there, too, LOL!

Sure, I get they're being generous to the school! Of course, most are parents so their kids are also benefiting, not to mention the large tax deduction on the artwork!

I was more commenting on the previous poster's feelings that she'd be a little out of place and out of her element. We buy our $100 a piece tickets to the auction. We just don't have the luxury of throwing around that kind of money while we're there.

Mia Offline
    Yeah, we've got those Bimmers and Lexuses (what's the plural of Lexus -- Lexi?) in our parking lot. I drive my VW Rabbit in and park, and sneak out. smile

The private school where ds6 goes is $15K a year ... and no, I don't really "fit in" with many of the parents there (age and money both). But I've found a few. And really, ds fits in, so it's not that big a deal. Lots of kids say hi to him as we walk past, and that's enough for me. And he just started, so I think as time goes on, the appearances will count for less and the kids will count for more. I'm less concerned about me fitting in and happier that ds is fitting in.

At his school, all parents are expected to contribute to the "annual fund" on top of tuition, whatever they can afford. I can tell you that our contribution is going to be about $75! That's what we can afford, really, and that's what they'll get. I feel a little bad, but I also know that there are families there that can and do contribute a lot more on top of tuition.

Anyway, it is good that you're looking around. There's a local GT Saturday program where we are that ds did last spring and it was *great* for him, he loved it. Those things can make all the difference, just a chance to meet with kids that are more like him.

Mia
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations