Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    OP Offline
    How old was your child when you suspected that might be gifted?

How old was your child when you knew for sure, and what tipped you off?

How old was your child when, and if, you had them tested?

Just some questions out of interest! Hope you are all have a good week so far!

I finally figured it out when our older one was 3 and reading chapter book. I literally went looking for what was wrong with him and stumbled upon information about gifted kids. It explained so much and we haven't looked back since. We had him tested at 5 years 3 months after a rather unpleasant discussion with one of his teachers. That was a huge eye opener, he was more gt than we expected.

Our younger one did lots of things early, and lots of them earlier than his brother. He was early talker (in 2 languages), did puzzles well and we thought he could be gifted but then there were things he was falling short compare to his brother. When he started reading at the age of 2 we finally admitted that he was gifted too. He is 4 now and hasn't been tested yet. We will have him tested but we will wait till he is at least 5.

LMom
    Mia Offline
    How old was your child when you suspected that might be gifted?: He was about 22 months -- knew his alphabet and a bunch of sight words, numbers to 12 or so. I was getting suspicious. smile

How old was your child when you knew for sure, and what tipped you off?: He was 3.5. We were pulling up to Target for some shopping, and I said, "Look, KG, we're at Target" -- pronouncing Target as "Tar-jhey," as we do, for fun. He said, "No, Mama, that says 'tar-jheyT!" with a hard T. That was when I knew we were in for it. He was already reading beginning reader books, but somehow that really drilled it home for me!

How old was your child when, and if, you had them tested?: We had KG tested at 5y5m, in November, when it became clear that public kindergarten wasn't going to be a good fit. Like LMom, he was more gt than we expected! smile

HTH!

Mia

People were always making comments about how alert DD was even when she was just a few days old. I thought they were just being nice. When DD was almost 2 mos. old, she said "hi" to a little girl in a store. The little girl said, "Daddy! That baby said 'hi' to me!" DD repeated the performance at home and also started saying "ickle" for "tickle".

When she was 3, we visited my parents' house for Christmas. One evening, we were sitting around talking after dinner and DD announced, "Now I will do an interpretive dance." Then she proceded to act out a seed sprouting into a plant and blooming into a flower. She also amazed relatives by reciting "The Night Before Christmas." At the same age, she asked me to teach her how to read. She started reading before she turned four.

DD was tested at age 8. She is verbally HG.

DS also seemed to be taking everything in as an infant. He learned to kick his foot rhythmically to bounce his own bouncy seat when he was about 3 months old. As soon as he could talk (10 mos.) the questions started: Dis? Zat? Go tah?

DS was obsessed with letters and numbers from a very young age. As a toddler, he wanted to watch an alphabet video every day. By the time he was two he knew all the letters and their sounds. He started reading before he turned 3. He taught himself a lot about numbers by playing with legos. He had mastered all kindergarten skills except writing by the time he was three.

DS was tested at age 4 1/2. He is HG+

Originally Posted by oneisenough
    When DD was 3 or 4 she spoke in complex sentences. Strangers would stare when we were in public.

DD was obsesive about drawing. She would sit quietly for hours drawing and drawing and drawing. She would draw scenes where the characters had thought ballons which she filled with a drawing the character's thoughts.

One day when she was nearly 4 I picked her up from daycare and the teacher said she wanted to show me what my DD had done that day. She had sit quietly and sculpted a perfectly forms and proportioned sitting elephant out of PlayDough. The whole sculpture was no taller than a quarter.

She learned to read in Kindergarten and has become a voratious reader. She's currently in 5th grade but reading at the level of an adult according to her teacher.

We had her tested this last year at 10 for her application to a program for gifted children. I resisted testing her until it was absolutely necessary. I didn't want her to become a number in the eyes of her teachers and other adults.

Just some questions out of interest! Hope you are all have a good week so far!

It wasn't just one thing.... I had to be convinced to even suspect he was.
    1. He started talking in full sentences before he was a year.

2. He gave me his bottle when he was 11 months and said,"No more of this."

3. At around a year, he would point to the sign on store like walmart and target when we pulled in the parking lot and say there name.

I guess the Ah-ha moment came when he pointed to a can of pepsi and said "pepsi" when he was 15 months old, we don't normally drink soda so it was a rare thing for him to see a can of soda.

At 17 months he started pointing to letters and not only saying the name of the letter, but making it's phontic sound.

We was 2 and a half and we were sitting in a McDonalds. He pointed to a sign ans said, "That says exit"
    'Site reading', I thought. 'He uses my computer, its a common word to mover from one window to the next on the kids games..... he didn't really read it.'

"Yep, it says exit. What other words do you know" I asked.

He started pointing around the McDonalds, "That says 'on' that says 'go', that says 'Next'"

"All site words" I though.

Then he pointed to a large sign and said, "That says 'salad'"

I froze and then twitched...... 'Did I just hear that? ok, he's reading."

We went home and he read me Hop on Pop cover to cover.

When he went to kindergarten he was 5. He is supposetly "off the charts in verbal and hg in math

Last edited by ienjoysoup; 10/08/08 03:14 AM.
    Off and on throughout toddlerood, when he'd do a puzzle way over his age, and his drawings have always been above what I would expect.
    Then not really for a while between 5 and 6. Then again when school was declared boring and he complained of not having friends. Now doing much better in pull out gt program.

Still there are days I am unsure! wink his test results were not unequivocal.
    More testing is being done at school this year, so maybe that will firm things up!

I was happily oblivious for a good long time, although I thought he was generally pretty clever. Cute too. wink But early signs were on the very-subtle side. He was more often late on the really obvious stuff...

So - he walked late (17mos), talked late (22-23mos), was generally late on all the gross motor stuff that dominates early development charts... but on the other hand he was really "engaged" with people really early and was always ALWAYS involved with what was going on around him, his fine motor skills were way ahead from very early on (although it doesn't seem to have translated into nice handwriting...), and he was obsessed with books from infancy. I didn't realize at the time that having to prop up your not-yet-sitting-independently 6 month old so he can look at his very favorite book AGAIN for half an hour at a time, carefully turning the pages and studying them... isn't really that common. It was a DK cat book, about 150 pages, hardcover, with pictures of all the various breeds. I still have it in the baby box. smile

But I think my first smacked-in-the-face-with-it moment was when he was two and we were visiting my sister and waiting for her to have her first baby (two weeks late!) We were in Colorado for the first time, and we had just decided to homeschool him, so I took advantage of the location to pick up some books we couldn't get at home in NC -- the Singapore Earlybird (K4/K5) math workbooks. I figured they were for later. I was mistaken. LOL It didn't really seem weird to me that he could do them, since it was pretty straightforward stuff, but there was one exercise about conservation of volume... which is a classic Piaget thing that isn't supposed to be "there" until something like 7 or 8 years old and I thought, "oh this should be good..." but not only did he get it, he got it without any kind of explanation, and explained it back to me! eeeek! I had never been a fan of Piaget, but that was the first time I thought, "uh oh..."

By the time he was six I was pretty sure -- he flew through curricula at top speed, he had been reading well forever (words at 2 or 3 and books by 4), and he was finally letting on bits and pieces of what he could do to others, so I didn't feel like Jimmy Stewart in Harvey anymore wink We were concerned that he had some verbal quirks though, which is what led us to test... and I wouldn't have guessed more than "MG" myself before then. Not that I knew there were sub-levels, but I never really thought he was "that high", and I fully expected him to completely take a dive on one section or another.

Even now I think, "Well he could take an AP test... but it's only Stats.. that's not really that hard... not like Calculus..." and I'll probably continue to do that forever! LOL I could probably pop along perfectly happily without considering IQ at all (I mean other than a fascinating statistical problem... lol) but that we have to deal with other people sometimes. At home on our own we just do what we do, but try to participate in anything else anywhere else and I'm glad I have a test report to remind me that I'm not making this up!

Erica
    My dd (9), I beleieved was gifted when she began reading around 2 years old and would spend hours doing ALL of her wooden puzzles at the same time.

My dd(7), is still in question. She id not an academic kind of kid. School for her is "too boring". BUT, she won't show them what she is capable of. She will be tested in the next few weeks.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM