Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 169 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    I am really new to all this so pardon my ignorance. My dd8 is in 3rd grade and in a GT pull out program for 4 hours a week. I don't even know what her "level of GT is". She has taken the CogAt and scored at the 99%tile. In her regular classroom, she is the only GT qualifed student since the other student in her class that was GT moved out of the district. She is really upset for several reasons. She has no one in the class that can challenge her - she enjoys friendly academic competion. Additionally, because she thinks differently, she acts differently on the playground. She seems to feel like the odd man out.

Should I wait and see if she can work this out for herself or should I go talk to her classroom and/or GT teacher?

Thank you in advance for your insights.

Mamabear

OP Offline
    In mulling over your response, I am leaning toward waiting a week or two before intervening. Thinking about how school and her social life has been, this is the first big (unexpected) shock to her world that she didn't see anything positive about.

I do not know how the other students feel about her, but in conversations with her teacher, she will say without provocation that she would love an entire classroom full of dd.

At home, she is very much supported and loved and has friends in the neighborhood. So this is not really a global issue, just at school and only in response to the absence of other GT kids in her class.

I'll talk to her again after school today and see if she is feeling any better about things.

Thank you for the questions, the answers put a better prespective on what is really happening, I hope.

I think that if she has already told you she is upset or indicated that by her behavior then you should step in. You aren't referring to a specific conflict that a child might be able to "work out" with some guidance from the parent. You seem to be identifying some pervasive issues such as being the only GT kid in the class, not being challenged and feeling as though she doesn't fit in with the other kids. Those seem to be bigger issues that a parent should address with the teachers and staff at the school.

I suggest contacting the GT coordinator and her classroom teacher. Find out what they see, if anything. Then talk with your daughter about what she likes and doesn't like at school. Look for options to help her connect with others that are like-minded. Are there options for enrichment classes at a CTD or like place? Can the teachers differentiate learning experiences more for her? I agree with the questions posed by MON - you need to explore more as to what is going on and then you'll know better how to proceed.

Keep us posted.

oops, we cross posted. I think you have a good plan in place to wait a little longer. Sounds like perhaps it isn't as global an issue as I thought at first reading.

I have learned to follow my "mommy instincts" - you know your child best. Trust them to tell you what to do next!

OP Offline
    Just an update:

My dd talked to her classroom teacher! She said that they have cme up with a plan. She was reassured that she would challenged and she would be given accelerated programs independently of the other students when things the class were doing were too easy.

As far as the playground, DD is very sensitive and misread the kid's reactions to her. Essentially, she was upset about her friend leaving and so was assuming that no one else could possbly like her. She was just overwhelmed by emotion. Yesterday, a child approached her and wanted to play. That was all it took!

I was very proud of her for seeking help from the teacher on her own! A huge step for her and she felt positive about the outcome! I'm glad I let her try to work things out!

Again, thank you for your thoughtful responses.

S
    S
    Wonderful! Please remind me how old she is? So glad it worked out.

OP Offline
    DD is almost 9!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs