Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 351 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #26621 09/23/08 08:47 PM
    P
    Prissy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    I'd love to have some advice from the experts here on developing an Education Plan (EP) that actually has some specific metrics. Some brief history:

DD6 was ID'd spring of last year (after much pushing on my part and behavioral issues) and placed into the gifted/extended studies program (with 1st graders, since they didn't have a K class). We had some concerns so followed up with additional private testing over the summer and she came out at 143 FSIQ, 144 GAI, right at HG, not DYS material, based on this round, which I think is pretty accurate. Also did acheivement testing which showed late first grade to late second grade GEs. She is now in 1st grade with a one-day a week pull-out for gifted/extended studies.

This works reasonably well for that one day a week, but we are still trying to figure out how to make the other 4 days work better. Things haven't fallen apart yet, but there are some distinctive signs that the downhill slide is beginning. Regular classroom teacher is an old hand, 20+ years of experience, and came with good recommendations from other GT parents and the GT teacher. I've met with the teacher and she seems willing to work things out, but claims her opportunities to differentiate are limited by school policies (i.e. principal). I have gone through the gifted teacher to setup a meeting to review and revise the EP and am looking for suggestions on as much specific requests as I can get. Where I am (Florida) interested parties in the EP are parent, gifted teacher, regular teacher and guidance counselor; not the principal. What I can get in writing has a chance of happening, so I need to nail things down as much as possible.

Currently I'm planning to propose pre-testing (using 90%) out of basic material - the class is still working on basic single digit addition and subtraction and short vowel sounds, while DD6 is comfortable reading Magic Tree House and acing those AR quizzes. Math is less advanced, but more because of lack of exposure - she picks things up usually first time. Social studies/science - I'm at a loss. Not sure how I can push for deeper/broader when the topic of the week is Johnny Appleseed or community helpers. I need not only advice on specifics for the pre-testing (what test, etc.) but also what we (or more importantly the teacher) can do with her in class if she has tested out of the classroom level stuff.

As an example of completely a non-specific (i.e. completely unenforceable from the parent's side) the current EP reads:
    " . . will show progress in the development of higher level communication and thinking skills."
    " . . will develop her communcation skills . . ."
    " . . will develop her problem solving and thinking skills. . ."

Any suggestions on how to describe a plan for her education in enough detail to actually get it implemented would be most appreciated. My meeting is Monday morning and I'd like to have a pretty detailed proposal ready to lay out to simplify the process (especially since that is what the school did last time - "Here's your EP; sign it and let's go."). Thanks very much in advance for your time and experience.

Last edited by Prissy; 09/23/08 08:47 PM. Reason: clarification

Prissy
    CFK #26628 09/24/08 08:15 AM
    Hi Prissy,
    I'm in FL too. I was told by the gifted coordinator for our school district that the EP only pertains to services delivered by a gifted certified teacher. So the regular classroom teacher's activities are not included in the EP. In order for your child's entire curriculum to be covered under the EP, your child would have to be attending a full time gifted program. Please verify that for your district.
    My son's EP includes Acceleration through curriculum compacting and flexible grouping; Modifying curriculum depth, complexity or abstractness; and Problem based learning. As you can see, nothing measurable.
    I have the same issues with the level of his work in the regular classroom. The gifted teacher suggests enrichment at home and eventually a move to full time gifted.

P
    Prissy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks CFK - that language should help me get a start on this. At this point I'll take acceleration or enrichment.

Elisa - I'm in a North Florida District and the current EP specifically says the gifted teacher and the regular teacher are to be involved. District policy references "teachers of the gifted" which should include both, since the kid is gifted no matter whose class she is in.

If there was a full time gifted program anywhere nearby, we'd be there in a flash. Currently researching and negotiating about moving to a gifted magnet in an adjacent SD for next year, but it only starts in 2nd grade and has some distinct negatives as well.

I guess my concern, based on past experience and others' reports is how to get that some of that curriculum compacting and depth, complexity or abstractness in the regular class. As I've heard here before - DD6 is not gifted just one day a week. Those are laudable goals, but I'm looking for a way to demonstrate that they are actually happening, rather than getting a pat on the head.

I'm thinking the objetive for the curriculum compacting would be similar to what CFK mentioned - document two years progress in a single year - using Sunshine State Standards or something like that. We do have specific standards for language arts as well as math and even science now.

I'm also trying to get something that exempts the busy work. Right now DD6 still has to do the basic addition worksheets everyday, before having any opportunity to work at or near her level on the supplementary resources I send.

I've also gone back to my copy of "Re-Forming Gifted Education" and finding some nuggets there. Hopefully a few others might chime in as well. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Prissy
    W
    W
    I recommend putting in specific assessment goals, as well as concrete next steps based on the outcome of those assessments. For example, we put in ours that DD8 would be tested for Math giftedness using the TOMAGS test, and based on ____ score or better, she would be subject accelerated in math. They added that she would have to take all unit tests for the current grade so we could identify gaps in learning and address those. DD8 is now attending a 4th grade classroom during math and acing it. Some things I should have done better is being specific about what we mean by compacting and differentiation, so I like the specifics recommended above. We were appalled at the way DD8 was given more challenge in Spelling: her teacher just handed her the 4th grade spelling list instead of 3rd grade's on week 2 of school. Then they complained when she didn't do the work (she explained to me in tears that night that she was scared because she didn't know how to spell words like antibacterial and assertive). I thought they knew that she didn't know how to learn yet!! So I wish I had been more specific about how they gave her more challenging work. If your school has more experience with this, perhaps you don't need to spell that out. We also asked them to start a non-age-based "highly" gifted pullout program across the whole school, which they did. DD8 and one other child are in it so far, and it's going very well. Now she has pull-out for 1/2 day twice weekly, which she loves. We also specifically asked for an older child or adult to mentor her in writing and general social things, etc. Now we are starting to lay the groundwork for a grade skip next year. I love the idea of starting with DD8 going to current classroom 1/2 day and next classroom 1/2 day. If we were to test-drive that this year, perhaps the school would be more comfortable with doing a grade skip next year (they've never done one-EVER). I'm new here, but those are the things that I asked for or wish I had. I hope this helps.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations