Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    B
    bk1 Offline
    B
    Debbie:

You have really achieved success! Congrats! If you have time to reply, what do you think was the turning point? Was there any particular argument that finally moved Mr. Principal to decide on an evaluation and appropriate placement?

Oh Debbie!
    ((ticker tape parade down Broadway in New York City!!))
    You made things work for your son, and converted a person in power to be a friend of Highly Gifted kids!
    ((Ermine Cape, Crown, and Jeweled Scepter placed on Debbie, beaming proudly))
    I've just now imagined a Trinity Hall of Fame, and your story is in it! I'm so proud of you, and of all of us for being a small part of it.
    Yessss!
    You did an amazing thing. The odds were against you, but you persevered.
    ((For she's a jolly good fellow on bagpipes))
    Wow - Wow - Wow
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    Thank you all, for such supportive and understanding responses! I was at work when my husband told me the news and (as you all know) the couple of people I told at work were NOT as thrilled as we all are!

Trinity, I am honored by your kudos! I am glad to moving into the same arena as Dottie, where I can say that I've not only BTDT but had some success to share with others coming up in the "field of battle."

BK1: I think that this has been a slow process, turning the principal around. It involved us presenting the school with private testing last summer, then MrWiggly having a great 1st grade teacher who recognized a qualitative difference in his learning and then the fact that we had to homeschool math last spring (son was so bored in math class he was becoming disruptive and refusing to get on the bus in the morning!). Last year when we pulled him to homeschool we asked if they would consider the 3rd grade placement in the fall. Sometime, with all that going on, the principal really did a 180 degree turn around.

Delbows: When we talked about this last night, my son asked if anyone else from his class would be going to 3rd for math. He seemed disappointed to hear the answer was no and I worried that he might be feeling anxious about the new class. But then I told him how lucky he was to have TWO classes and that many more friends to have. He said it was okay, because "I want to do that math, not the kindergarten stuff!" So I am sure that this move will work out just fine.

Originally Posted by dajohnson60
    Delbows: When we talked about this last night, my son asked if anyone else from his class would be going to 3rd for math. He seemed disappointed to hear the answer was no and I worried that he might be feeling anxious about the new class. But then I told him how lucky he was to have TWO classes and that many more friends to have. He said it was okay, because "I want to do that math, not the kindergarten stuff!" So I am sure that this move will work out just fine.

I wonder if it's worth it to ask the Principal if there are a few other kids who could also be offered 3rd grade math? My DH did math and reading one year up all through elementary with a handful of other boys, who became this core friends. It would have to be very casual, as in, "Oh this funny idea came into my head, that I should ask if any other boys can be sent up with him, maybe it would encourage friendships?" ((sexism intentional))

I do think it's a pain, but worth doing, but yes - in a just world they would find a boy or two to go with him. There is no doubt in my mind that they have a few who could do the work.

Smiles,
    Trin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets