Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 275 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    willagayle #2573 05/02/07 12:21 PM
    Will the keyboard on the bus have a typing program on it? All of it sounds wonderful!

Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #2574 05/02/07 12:30 PM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    it will have the typing program on it. funny thing is when I was showing it to the prefect (choir manager) I was telling him how sturdy it was and all. He then bent over, brushed his arm against the thing and it plummeted to the floor!!! not a scratch. so he was convinced. the choir does tutor the kids if there is a need. so, their offer wasn't a surprise.

it does sound wonderful. i just hope it all turns into reality as planned. experience has told me that things can seem marvo in the planning but can fall apart in the act. one key is getting a high quality teacher and para.

my prayers are going up fast and strong.

Willa Gayle
    willagayle #2575 05/02/07 12:33 PM
    J
    J
    Back to the original how's it going question...

For us, deciding that it was just fine for DD5 to become a preschool drop out was a terrific decision. (I�m apprehensive about this fall, when she is eligible to start K, but I�ll worry about that later. We have a meeting at the school in about 2 weeks.) We�ve had a lot of fun pursuing her interests. We took Spanish together a couple days a week, went to craft classes at a local store, and read, read, read, read, read. We�ve done more science experiments than I can count, and she completely surprised me with her love of math. Her big brother played many more number games as a toddler, so I didn�t realize that she is just as obsessed with patterns and numbers as he is. Right now, she�s almost finished with a 1st grade math program that I�ve adapted to reduce repetition and increase speed.

I�m more and more drawn to home schooling because this year was such a success. The only problem is my husband�s attitude. The home schooling that he was aware of where he grew up was not done for very sane reasons, so he thinks home schooling is for crazy people. (In his defense, he grew up in an area where home schooling was a way to keep the kids in line so that you could marry the 15 year girls off to 40 year old men as 3rd and 4th wives.)

I have to go get DS7 soon, so I�ll mention his year some other time. It was not such a success, which is part of why the home schooling is sounding more appealing.

Jill

Grinity #2576 05/02/07 01:30 PM
    Ok,
    This was a very big year at our house. To recap: After hitting bottom in 2nd grade, having a wonderful year in 3rd grade and a so-so year, with lots of "in class enrichment" in 4th grade, our District had a meeting to tell us that there wasn't going to be any further accomidation, basically becasue our child wasn't really the kind of kid who was so smart that he needed subject or grade acceleration, even thought the Iowa Scale put him just under the Excellent Candidate for Acceleration catagory.

This September he started a local prep school, as a 5th grader, and was instantly worried that he was falling behind his public school friends. :-0 ! At first they said it was because the follow the "Responsive Classroom Model" - but within a month it became apparent that DS10 was happy socially but unhappy academically. At my cue, they looked him over for Middle School, and he mostly advocated for himself, and blew away their Algebra Readiness test, and he joined the 6th grade after Columbus Day weekend.

They even offered him Radical Acceleration in Math, although he isn't one of these kids who breaths Math, into their 7th grade "enriched" program. Unfortunatly this meant missing 50% of class time of the History/Language Arts. It was too big a step, and the six-day rotation schedual without any pattern kept him hoping until just recently. We had heard that 6 weeks was a normal transition time for a grade skip, but at 12 weeks things were only just starting to settle, and it was clearly time to go back to 6th grade Math. From then things have started to click, although I still get angry notes about him not bringing his pencil to class from time to time. Although he misses the intellectual stimulation from the 7E math, the homework is much for doable. It was exciting to see him approaching his Math school work with the same Zeal usually reserved for videogames.

The acceleration scale manual notes that some years are worse to skip than others - the "bridge" years, and if I had known what I know now, I would have tried to arrange the skip over 4th. This is part of the reason I am such a fan of keyboarding skills - many a night DS was worn out from spending an hour on his Math, and then we was able to whip off 6 short paragraphs to respond to the questions at the end of his history text. He even used full sentences that echoed the question! I can't tell you the scene we would have faced if he had had to handwrite them!

The school has been wonderful, and it seems like the amount of extra attention he has required has been considerable, but the school is a true partner in his education and I love having that support. I'm a different person...a happier person, a calmer person.

Did I mention that DS is happier than he has ever been at school? Much - Much happier. On paper I have reason to suspect that a single grade skip won't be enough, but in real life, there are one or two kids who are "as smart" as he feels himself to be, and the organizational struggles are enough to keep him working hard. He is so proud of himself now. He says: "Look,Mom, I'm learning how to learn!" Socially he is fitting in fairly well, but he is sure looking forward to next year when the current 5th graders move up to the Middle School, and he'll have twice as many friends.

He is a fairly odd kid, and it ends up looking like immaturity in someways. It may actually be immaturity, but whatever it is, he sure seems able to handle it better as he gets older.

His grades were mostly Bs with a few even lower! But I think that now he finally knows what end is up, and accepts my "help" with checking and planning his homework, so I'm really hoping that this last trimester has nothing lower than a B, with a A-/B+ average. It sure has been strange to be helping him be sure he has done his homework. I was kind of spoiled by the old days of 90 seconds of homework/night. Less than a month to go, and it suddenly seems so easy! I am so glad we took this chance.

Love and More Love,
    Trinity

Grinity #2577 05/02/07 03:33 PM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    these are cool updates. Jill it sounds like you two have a good personality match, too. You must have similar learning styles.

Trin it is amazing how far DS has leapt this year. I don't imagine the transitions to be easy, but with his abilities, it will come together for him and be so worth the efforts. It looks like you are beginning to see that now.

Whatcha mean "odd"? Please expound on that. I've got that with both my guys. I wonder if our "odds" are the same:^)?

Willa Gayle
    willagayle #2578 05/03/07 09:00 AM
    Jill -
    Wow, your daughter's year sounds wonderful. Perhaps an early enterance to first grade would work best for your family? With subject acceleration in Math?

I can understand that your DH has some reservations about homeschooling with a backround like that! Are there any more attractive local folks who are homeschooling that your family could potentially socialize with, just to gently give him another view?

Whatever path you take, best wishes!
    Trinity

Grinity #2580 05/03/07 09:25 AM
    Talk about timing! I got home yesterday to find that my son's "mid-trimester" update was home and all the teachers noted how far he has come, and how proud they are of him. He still "forgot" to hand in a science assignment, which will affect his grade - Zeros really mess up one's average!
    For me the most exciting things are -
    a) he's happier than he's ever been
    and
    b) he's starting to get the picture that he has to do the work and hand it in.

As for odd - well he sure has unusual humor, unusual insights, unusual concerns and unusual interests. In responce to the stem "My mind..." he said "...has a mind of it's own."

I think that says it all.

Trinity

Grinity #2581 05/03/07 11:24 AM
    J
    J
    Trinity,

I�m working on the subtle home schoolers are not all crazy message. I know some �normal� <grin> women who home school, but they tend to be in my social circle, not my husband's. That is, they are moms I know or ladies I see at the gym, but not family friends. I mention them regularly in conversation. smile

I have to say that working with DD5 has given me new respect for the challenge teachers face when they are asked to provide accelerated or differentiated instruction. Instructional materials are designed with a pace that meets the needs of most children. Changing the pace is hard because you have to redesign much of the material. We started the first grade math material in January, and for a couple months, DD5 was delighted to do a page of �big girl� first grade math as part of her homework while her brother worked on his. She was being a �big girl� because she had homework too, and because it was first grade material there were many terms and concepts that she hadn�t been exposed too. Also, the first grade material assumed an ability to write like a first grader and typical first grade motor skills, so she worked pretty hard to complete the sheet. Sometime in late March she stopped having fun, but it took me a week or two to figure out the problem. One day she finally said, �I am tired of doing little girl math. I want to go bombing on through the book so I can do real big girl math.� I thought I was paying attention and knew what she was capable of doing, but the next afternoon she completed the assessments for the next 25 lessons perfectly.

DD5�s only real problem with the first grade math material is that she is almost done with it, but reading more like a beginning first grader. The math material is starting to assume late first grade reading skills. I am hoping for a skip to first grade because of the math and the fact that she reads like an early-in-the year first grader right now. My guess is she will be reading better by fall, but starting in first would provide plenty of challenges. I�m not sure how well a 2nd grade math would go at this point, unless her reading really accelerates this summer.

Jill

Jill #2583 05/03/07 11:51 AM
    J
    J
    And then there was DS7�s year�

This past year started well. He was more positive about school and his teacher (who is a good teacher) provided well-differentiated reading assignments and lots of open-ended work. He has been more positive about the reading material this year. He�s been given approximately 4th and 5th grade level material most of the time and then asked to analyze it at a level that is more typical of a 2nd grader. This has worked really well, because, although his reading skills and comprehension are easily middle-school level, his handwriting is awful, and expecting him to write the kind of paper you would expect from 4th grader would just make him so frustrated that I don�t think he would learn anything.

The math has been a real sore point with DS7. The differentiated math program doesn�t start until 3rd grade at this school, so although the teacher allowed him to demonstrate his multiplication and division skills (instead of the requested +-) on the daily math sheet, he still had to do all of the regular math lessons with the rest of the class. He complains about it regularly, and has gotten to the point where he isn�t really willing to do anything he doesn�t have to anymore. We are now entering the �bare minimum to get by� phase of his education.

We had DS7 tested by the school this year for the gifted program (They don�t accept any outside assessments, so we have to use their process). Unfortunately, as DS7 told me after they started testing, �I don�t like it when they try test me. Sometimes I just decide not to do it.� This was apparent because he managed to answer all of the questions on one of the screening exams wrong. He later admitted that he did it on purpose. DS7 did cooperate on later exams, and they�ve placed him in an enrichment program based on the results, but he's also been in trouble for not staying on task, even in enrichment. The gifted program seems to expect that all gifted children are well behaved and extremely self-motivated, so DS7�s lack of cooperation is probably going to get him kicked out of the program for next year. We�re still not sure what the school will be willing to do next year.

Jill

Jill #2584 05/03/07 11:52 AM
    My kids are well past that age , but I remember well that the first few years of math are extremely easy, something a gifted child can acomplish in a week or two. So work on reading and it should be a breeze.
    Ania

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs