Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 245 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    S-T Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi...

I will be having a meeting in sch next week to talk in depth abt what DS8 can do during Math time in school. (FYI, he did well for a grade 7/8 Math assessment) At the moment, it seems that he will most likely do a online course for that period (but I am not sure how much he can do 30-40mins). I believe they will still require him to finish whatever worksheets the rest of the class are doing (he usu. takes abt 2 mins to finish). Earlier this week, his teacher gave him a more challenging worksheet to do (which DS said that it was not difficult at all)... but it was just for one day. I have this feeling that he is not going to get alot of support from the home room teacher since she has another 21 kids to care for frown . The school has never done anything like this for anyone before, so it is something new. I am lucky that we have an advocate in school now who is fighting hard for DS. Even though DS is also advanced in his vocab, I don't think the school will accommodate him for that. (the sch doesn't support acceleration).

What can I offer/ do during this meeting? I am very new to advocacy and have never expect school/ teachers to do much for DS (if the teacher does, I take it as a bonus). Thank you.

Have you looked into EPGY, CTY or ALEX for online math? They do work with schools. I think the fact that the school is willing to let him do an online course during school hours is positive. Pulling DS6 out for an online math course is on the top of my wish list for this school year but I'm dealing with lots of unwillingness to tread new waters.

p.s. I suspect that a GT kid can get a lot done in 30-40 minutes of self-paced online math - especially if it's every day!

Mia Offline
    Originally Posted by Jool
    p.s. I suspect that a GT kid can get a lot done in 30-40 minutes of self-paced online math - especially if it's every day!

I completely agree -- that's a great deal, especially with a kid who *enjoys* challenging math. If he's allowed to simply exchange the standard class for his online class, I think you're in great shape.

The only thing I'd really push for is that he be allowed to do it every day, and that he be exempted from the homework the class is doing at grade level. It's silly to have him do both.

Mia
    S
    S-T Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    U hv read my mind! smile I am hoping that they will let him do CTY... so that there will be continuity when we move on to somewhere else. I have not read abt ALEX yet. Will do so b4 the meeting just to be more informed. Thks! smile

S
    S-T Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Yes...I was wondering why too ... that he has to finish the grade HW, on top of the worksheet. I will want to find out on this during the meeting.

Thks fo the positive replies Jool, Mia. I am excited and looking forward to it.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs